EN \ NL \ FR
Train your lucid dreaming skills:
Join the LD4all Quest and earn your Wings!
print ShareShare 

TMS Sleep Inducing Machine

Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Maoru
off the trail
Lucid Initiate

TMS Sleep Inducing Machine
PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Click here for story, or read below
Quote:
A new discovery could make it possible to take a "power nap" at the flick of a switch.
Scientists have found a way to turn on deep sleep at will using a machine that magnetically stimulates the brain.

A device worn on the head could in squeeze the benefit of eight hours' sleep into just two or three hours.

Scientists in the US used a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) to induce slow waves - indicative of the deepest phase of sleep and essential for learning ability and mood, in a group of sleeping volunteers.

A TMS device sends harmless magnetic signals through the scalp and skull and into the brain, where it activates electrical impulses.

The researchers found that positioning the TMS machine the right way triggered slow waves that travelled throughout the brain.

Slow wave activity occupies 80% of sleeping hours.

During slow wave sleep, waves of electrical impulses wash across the brain at a rate of roughly one a second.

With each magnetic pulse, the volunteers' brains immediately generated slow waves typical of deep sleep.

"Creating slow waves on demand could some day lead to treatments for insomnia," said study leader Prof Giulio Tononi, from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

"Theoretically, it could also lead to a magnetically stimulated `power nap' which might confer the benefit of eight hours' sleep in just a few hours."

Prof Tononi believes sleep is essential to prevent the brain overloading.

Memory involves strengthening synapses - connections between brain cells formed by learning.

Sleep might allow the connections created during the day to relax at night, according to Prof Tononi.

The research appeared in an early edition of the American journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I wonder how a machine like that could help with lucid dreaming!

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I dont think it would work, as it takes you to the deep sleep state, not the REM-state.

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I can see two possible ways it can help.
The first, wich I find less plausible, is that you could perhaps use the same technology to create a different sleepstate. You could theoretically mess around with brainwaves until you find a setting that creates good conditions for having a lucid dream. Much like Brainwave entrainment audio.

The second way wich I am sort of excited about is this. We need a certain amount of Delta sleep a night, and a certain amount of REM sleep. Say you take a power nap in the daytime and get all your Delta sleep out of the way, That would leave more room for REM sleep when and if you go to bed at night. Also sleeping without REM sleep for longer periods of time creates REMrebound. Then you'd have more intense dreaming, or at least longer dreams, and therefore more chance to become lucid. And you wouldn't have to sleep as deeply.
If you have this setup you can also Focus your efforts alot more effectively.

I would very much like to see some studies on this.

The Mad Hatter
BrainWaveGen Addic
Somniologist
LD count: Around 35

Electromagnetically Induced sleep
PostPosted: Wed 16 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I recently posted about a new invention involving forcing delta wave sleep in humans by basically strapping a magnet to their head.

http://dailydeluge.com/2007/05/10/electromagneticly-i nduced-sleep/

What do you guys think about this new invention? Good/bad? Harmful/helpful?

I'm thinking probably damaging.

bodhibay
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

It won't open for me. sadblauw

Ysim
Lord Of Dreams
Global Moderator
Ysim has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
The Chroniclers
LD count: 196

you have to get rid of the [/url] in the link..

it looks interesting, I'd like to look into this further, later.

Current LD goal(s): Be a merman.
krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Perhaps a merger is in order here. WIth the "TMS Sleep Inducing Machine" topic.

<mod>now merged thumbs </mod>

Soragu
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Fri 18 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Sounds way too strange to be true

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2007  Reply with quote

krakatoa wrote:
I can see two possible ways it can help.
The first, wich I find less plausible, is that you could perhaps use the same technology to create a different sleepstate. You could theoretically mess around with brainwaves until you find a setting that creates good conditions for having a lucid dream. Much like Brainwave entrainment audio.

actually this is very plausible, we know the brainwave states very well
7.83 hz is referred to as the Schuman resonance and associated with the hypnagogic state and various otherwordly experiences, psychedelic consciousness, etc

this would be much more assertive and immediate than brainwave entrainment.... but i've actually seen products that electrically entrain one to alpha or theta that can be worn on the wrist... it was in one of the airplane catalogues maybe something like 10 years ago! i really would be curious to find one.
Soragu wrote:
Sounds way too strange to be true

it's not the newest of technologies. even in old times people set up a "dream machine" to spin at the alpha/theta range emitting lights and it put them into deep trances.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamachine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

technology is baffling beyond belief...... there's so much developed they won't ever tell us about either.

bodhibay
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I'mma build a dreamachine! It'll be so cool!

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Holy Reality. I think that the right frequencies for it to be successful for lucid dreaming may need some experimentation. It could be used in several ways to benefit lucid dreaming. To put oneself in a hypnogogic state is a very good start.

Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare