do people in comas dream?

just a simple question, i been wondering if people in comas dream, and can actually become lucid while in the coma.

In a lot of TV shows I’ve seen people in commas have dreams, but I don’t know if its possible. An interesting question that I can’t answer.

If the coma is medically induced then possibly.

But I think they real question is what kind of coma? If the coma is induced by head injury, then it really depends on if their in any higher brain function if there isn’t then I would say no.

Like KT said, in movies they say they do. I would imagine some do, as they depict in movies, maybe real life coma people have mentioned it, uh after they wake up of course. I am not entirely sure if coma is the same as sleep though, honestly. Because it would seem it was different due to the fact that you sleep forever (long period of time), so maybe it isn’t dreaming. Just restful sleep. Lets hope you know how to LD before coma…

i think i’ll have to look this one up because even if it is medically induced, comas are nothing like regular sleep, as the brain is actually shutting down.

taking from mamashealth.com/coma.asp (which could be accurate or not, it was the first link when i looked it up…),

so it isn’t like sleep, although some stages of it may seem like a deep, stage IV sleep (i would assume it would be stage IV because that is ‘deep sleep’).

now, the real question (speaking purely scientifically here, objectively) is if the patient would go into REM stages during the coma, as stage 4 sleep is never associated with dreaming unless it is night terrors/sleepwalking, which one barely remembers.

i found an “expert opinion”, but this is another .com site so of course it could be wrong. he says:

So based on this, and assuming it is accurate, i would have to say, for the most part, no. Coma patients do not dream while they are in a coma. A coma is the brain shutting down, which is why doctors do it to aid them in brain surgery. Putting someone asleep doesn’t slow the brain down at all, it just changes the way the brain is working, so it wouldn’t help them do surgery at all.

of course, there is always the extraneous variable. i also found this:

HOWEVER, this is not an expert opinion, but a random person on the internet. His/her only support is “trust me, i know”, and it is from a website called “unsolved mysteries”, so i think it’s safe to assume that it is not as trustable as other sites.

So, no, in the objective way of thinking, it is not likely that coma patients dream. However, i am one to fancy the thought of “outside influence”, so to speak. superstition, if you will. So i suppose if you take a leap of faith on something, you can believe if you want

the only way to really find out? put yourself in a coma, though i don’t advise it :smile:

want to know something really funny : ) hehehehehe
it was actually my self who posted that other post on unsolvedmysteries.com some time ago

hahaha, neat.

well then, i suppose we can throw that out as evidence XD

so my answer would lean no, then. unless someone can come up with a studyt that says that coma patients do have REM sleep.

I don’t know, but couldn’t people who came out of coma, tell it?
100 posts :content:

I had a friend who was in a coma for many months and said he could hear everyone in his hospital room, he just could not move or see or anything.

which is not neccesarily dreaming though it might be. there are different severities of comas, remember.

anyway, i believe your friend was in a “minimally conscious state”, which is defined as (taken from wikipedia, lawl. anyone who says wikipedia isn’t a source can suck it :razz:)

Movies such as ‘The Good Night’ tell us that we can dream in coma and even lucid dream. ‘Vanilla Sky’ is another example, but i’m not sure w/ ‘The Dead Zone’. :eh:

Honestly I would be sad and confused if I found I was dreaming (in coma) for 15 years of my life. Can you imagine living in a dream world for 15 years? Man it would get old, you would do everything you wanted by then, and be depressed not knowing when it was going to end.

I am not even mentioning the variable where some dreams tend to seem like they have lasted for weeks/months… Man what hell, I would hope no one would have to go through being conscious while in a coma, now that I have thought about it.

not trying to be mean or anything man, but movies are not valid examples of anything in the real world.

How about reported Coma OBE-s? It should be a proof for dreaming…

\

keyword reported.

however, that does bring up an interesting point. If people claim to have OBEs while they are in a coma, what could VERY well be a mistaken ND. I will look into this a bit more, however i don’t know how this is possible if coma patients do not enter REM sleep (although it is POSSIBLE to dream in the otehr stages, particularly stage one, it is unlikely and i don’t know how a coma would affect it)

also yes, movies are really bad examples. in fact they are not examples at all. a lot of fiction (in fact, much of it) uses dreams to foreshadow or symbolize in some way, and movies are no exception :smile:. Since it is used as a literature or film device, it’s ok to skew the concept of dreams to fit your needs. also, it’s a movie XD

But OBE is not dreaming, it is a completely different thing.

however, it is easy to mistake a dream for an OBE. Also, Dreams are a scientific fact, OBEs are a parapsychology.

You’re right but they always show a bit of the real world.

i think if i was lucid for that long, ill start to play house:P

I haven’t experience myself an OBE to say it’s real or not :neutral: , BUT, i’m inclined to think that like someone said here, it can be just a 'big ld’. :wink: