Lizard King's Lucid Dream Guide

Author  Message 
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

Lizard King's Lucid Dream Guide
PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

I am making this post for personal organization reasons. All over this forum are different threads with different ways to aid lucid dreaming. I plan on seriously putting effort into lucid dreaming for the next couple months, so I am going to post my methods. If you are new to lucid dreaming, following this guide should get you lucid in no time.

A. DJs/Dream Recall
1. Immediately begin keeping a journal recording everything you can remember from your dreams the previous night. It is best to write in your journal immediately upon awakening or the memory of your dreams will probably fade.
2. Look over your dream journal often, looking for common themes/dream signs. Whether it be a specific location, specific people or situations. Record these as well. Later on, your personal dream signs may help you recognize that you are dreaming.

B. Reality Checks
1. Reality checks are simple things you can do that will usually prove whether or not you are dreaming.
2. There are many reality checks you can use, but here are just a few:
-Switching a light switch on/off will usually not affect the lighting in a dream
-Text, whether it be a newspaper, or the numbers on a digital clock, will either appear to be made up of bizarre symbols, or the text will change if you look away and look back at it.
-Count your fingers and toes, as sometimes while dreaming you will have more or less than normal.
-Pinch your nose shut...if you can still breathe through your nose, your dreaming.
-Try sticking a finger through one of your hands, if it works you are hopefully dreaming.
-There are many others that can be found all over this website.
3. Make it a habit by performing reality checks 20 or so times a day, even if you are sure you are awake. This way, you will remember to do them easier while dreaming.

C. Induction Methods
There are quite a few methods you can use that can sometimes bring you easily into a lucid dream.
1.WILD, or Wake Induced Lucid Dream. Probably the most difficult one to achieve.
-To do this, begin by getting into bed once you are tired.
-Lay down, and breathe deeply as you one by one relax all the muscles in your body.
-Don't move, your body must remain still as possible, and relaxed.
-The goal is to allow your body to fall asleep while your mind is still awake, so while laying relaxed, keep your mind busy by counting for each breath you take. This is not easy to do, but if you succeed, you will know it.
-If it works, you will enter the hypnagogic state, between awake and asleep. Many people find this state to be scary as you can have audio hallucinations. Remain calm, and soon a scene will appear in your head. With concentration, you can hop into this scene, only to find out its a dream, and you are lucid.
-This method takes lots of practice and I personally don't even bother with it, but it may work better for you than others.
2. WBTB, or Wake-back-to-bed. My personal favorite method, as it tends to have a high success rate.
-This method is fairly easy to do, the first step is getting to bed at a reasonable time.
-Set your alarm clock to wake you up around 5 hours or so after you go to sleep.
-When it wakes you up, get out of bed.
-Do something lucid dreaming related. The purpose is to have lucid dreaming as the only thing on your mind.
-A good thing to do is get on this forum and look over it for an hour.
-After an hour or so, get back into bed and go to sleep with lucid dreaming on your mind. This method is especially successful when combined with the MILD method.
3. MILD, or Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream. Use this either when trying the WBTB method, or when you wake up during a dream.
-When you are going to sleep that night, keep telling yourself that you are going to awake from a dream, and you will recall the dream when you awake.
-(Start here if using with WBTB) While falling back asleep, repeat to yourself "I am going to dream now, I will be aware I am dreaming." It is important to truly MEAN IT. Be confident, but don't want it too much.
-Now visualize yourself in the dream you awoke from, however imagine that you are lucid. Do this along with the repeating "I am dreaming" until you fall asleep.

D. LD nutrition/foods. Here is a list of foods you can ingest a half-hour or so before going to bed. These can either help with dream recall, dream vividness, or becoming lucid.
1. Dairy products, I would mainly stick with milk, cheese, or chocolate.
2. Bananas
3. Pickles and mustard
4. Popcorn
5. Lettuce

Well, this is all I have for now. I just wanted to see this information organized into one straightforward guide. If you have anything to add, feel free.

Blitzen
Time Keeper
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Nice guide mate! Definatley a useful read. I like the part about nutrition because I usually drink choco milk before going to sleep. =D

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Well, this is brilliant! :D Lizard King, would you mind having a copy of this guide published in the Knowledge Base? I'm thinking of this: we could give this topic a month or so to gather information from other users, perhaps add some links to relevant topics etc... And then have a permanent version of your compilation put there. It is important that new and experienced users are able to access quality information easily, so a good, straightforward guide like yours would be great to us all. What do you think? smile Just let me know, and I'll make this topic sticky for a month — make it an official forum project. ^^ BR. oh maan

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity

Bruno wrote:
Well, this is brilliant! :D Lizard King, would you mind having a copy of this guide published in the Knowledge Base? I'm thinking of this: we could give this topic a month or so to gather information from other users, perhaps add some links to relevant topics etc... And then have a permanent version of your compilation put there. It is important that new and experienced users are able to access quality information easily, so a good, straightforward guide like yours would be great to us all. What do you think? smile Just let me know, and I'll make this topic sticky for a month ó make it an official forum project. ^^ BR. oh maan

Sure thing, I'll help with whatever may need to be done.

Bruno
a smiling haze
Globahead
Chat Mods
LD count: a bunch.

Great! :D

*Bruno stickies this topic

So I'll give it a month for you to write/revise your guide as well as for everyone to contribute with links and whatnot. After the end of that month, you repost whatever you have in a new topic, and I'll move the new topic to the Knowledge Base. Deal? ^^ Thanks for the help! rechterduim omhoog met knipoog

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity

Sounds good...I'll get to it.

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Awesome Job!

Over Winter break I stopped trying to LD because I didin't get much sleep at all but hopefully now ill be able to start up again.

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Lizard King
this is an abandoned librarian topic, Bruno thought you may be able to use a few things from it thumbs
yohanover wrote:
Yeah this is what i had done so far...

Tips

Lucid dreaming can be tricky at times but oh so rewarding. If youíre a newbie or a seasoned Lucid Dreamer, sometimes you need a little help. Here are some tips about everything LD related. I hope they help you.

Dream Recall
If youíre to have a Lucid Dream, youíve got to remember it right?
1. Set your intent. Youíve got to want it.
2. Donít want it TOO much. It can have negative effects
3. Use a mantra to suggest good dream recall. Such as, ďIím going to awaken from my dream with full memory.Ē Really MEAN it and FEEL it. I find if you repeat it too much, it has negative effects.
4. Wake up after or during each dream period to maximize recall. Use a mantra or phrase to tell yourself to do so. Learn about the sleep cycle HERE(add link). Try to wake up 4.5 hours after you go to sleep, then every 1.5 hours.
5.Avoid alarm clocks because they seem to wake you up too quickly. As an alternative, setup a light on a timer that will go off before your alarm that will gradually increase in luminosity. You wonít be awaken so harshly
6.Wake up gradually and stay in the same position that you were while sleeping.
7. Replay the dream in your head.
8. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to use a Dream Journal.
9. Reread some previous dreams to get your mind into ďDreaming Mode.Ē

Dream Journal Tips
A Dream Journal(Add Link) is a place to write down your dreams.

1. You can buy one or make one of your own. Customize it and make it feel yours. Keep it very close to your bed so you donít have to move much.
2. Write down your dreams immediately after you awaken so they donít slip away.
3. Write down your dreams with a date and a title.
4. Donít let up! Keep using it. The more you use it, the better your recall will become. Donít be LAZY!
5. When you first start out, write down every dream you remember. As you get better, you should write down one or two if you want.
6. Write down the keywords first, then write in the details
7.Be really descriptive. Write down the characters, scenery, plot, and emotions as well.
8.Persistance

Pick a Technique
There are many ways to LD. Pick(Add Link) one that suits you.

MILD Tips
MILD(ADD Link) is my personal favorite.

1. Have a goal of what you'll do while lucid. Have a plan
1.5 When you wake up, write down a dream. This gets your mind ready and clears it a little so you can focus.
2. Be tired. Like, really tired. This helps so that you fall asleep quick with your mind on Lucid Dreaming.
3.Close your eyes and repeat the mantra a couple times. Say the words slowly and deliberately in your head really focusing on what they mean. Don't overdue it. Follow the MILD procedure.
4.If you're not asleep yet, imagine what your plan is and what your going to do when lucid. I find, if Iím just thinking about what Iím going to do, my mind gets swept away in all the wonderment and things that Iím going to do. This makes me fall asleep with LDing on my mind.
5.They key to MILD is ďbelieving and expecting.Ē Believe what youíre telling yourself and expect it to come. Because, the truth is, itís not too difficult.
6. Youíre in control! Your mind will obey you if you believe and expect it to happen.
7.Ultimatly it boils down to confidence, if you think becoming lucid is hard, then it becomes so for you. I wouldn't get to caught up in doing MILD the "correct" way. If you do then you could lock yourself into a state where you have to do MILD perfectly in order to have a lucid dream.

WBTB
Get out of your bed and try WBTB(add link)

1.Record your last dream with as much detail as possible
2.Wake yourself up by: putting alarm clock far away, take a shower, take a drink, do math and exercise your mind, listen to music.
2.5. Open your window for fresh air.
3.Go to bed earlier so you donít deprive yourself of sleep. Then sleep five or six hours. Then proceed.
4.Do lucid dreaming activates for an hour or so(I heard 90 min. is effective.) such as: rereading past dreams, going on this site(I heard it helps a lot), reading LD books, ectÖ
5. Go back to bed and your mind will be on LDing.
6. Combine with other techniques such as MILD,VILD,DILD, or whatever.

WILD
Once youíve mastered WILD(add link), youíre set!

1. Get comfortable
2. Relax. Try doing the 61 point relaxation technique(add link). Try meditation
3. Find a good way to keep mind awake(the point of WILD) such as: imagining walking up steps and counting them as you go, counting 1 ďIím dreamingĒ, 2 ďIím dreamingĒ ,ect.., focus on the colors you see inside your closed eyelids, count sheep, just do something to keep it awake.
4. Donít keep your mind too awake, or else you wonít fall asleep
5. Find a mp3 made for inducing LDís. Focus on the music and that will keep your mind awake.

Sleep Paralysis
Itís okay, SP(add link) is a normal part of WILD

1. Understand that SP is a natural occurrence and anything you see/hear is not real.
2.Be calm and itíll pass

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Tue 18 Mar, 2008  Reply with quote

If I find the time I will try to add more to this guide and finish it up.

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes
LD count: 3

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr, 2008  Reply with quote

looks good! ^^ If you need any help or don't find the time, I can work with you on it. Just let me know, ok?

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes

PostPosted: Mon 12 May, 2008  Reply with quote

...if anyone has more information to add, let me know. I've already combined the two articles, and now I'm editing. what do you guys think?

trophycase
Somniologist
Somniologist
trophycase has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 79

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

haha, my favorite part:

[quote]This method takes lots of practice and I personally don't even bother with it, but it may work better for you than others.
[/quote]

i've tried WILD a couple times... i wish i was good at it overspannen
all that happened was that i got cramps from staying still, and i never fell asleep, and it was a long and miserable night. hahaha[/quote]

Yanielle
wandering spirit
Somniologist
Scribes

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Wild is tricky in that it seems to be just impossible when you are actually trying to do it. I did it very well by calling up my guardian spirit while I was still in hypnogoia. Then I my body went to sleep while I was talking to her and it worked.
Another time I did that, I managed to get my body in partial sleep paralysis, I was talking to her (and a few others) but I was still completely aware of what was happening around me, so not quite right...

But thanks trophycase, now I'll be doubly sure to include that in the final article smile

absent
LD count: None so far.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

Seems like I will be eating alot of lettuce tonight wink5

Great guide - hopefully wink

Thanks!

Magic Qwan
Obsessed Dreamer
Somniologist
Magic Qwan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 34-36

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Sounds very good... I bet you almost have 1 LD per night!

print