Pause Time

What Book Are You Reading? - Part VI

Author  Message 
Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

PostPosted: Tue 15 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

FabledHero wrote:
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. The hero of the book is a unique individual and level of integrity he has in his pursuit of excellence in his field is quite motivating. What I really like about her books is she incorporates philosophy into her stories, it makes for not just an entertaining novel, but a thought provoking one as well.

If you get bored in the middle, don't worry, it gets better towards the end tounge2

It reminds me of that scene from Amadeus.

"It was great, i loved it! Just..... too many notes" lach1

hey, she showed in Anthem that she can write a short book!

I don't mind long books, oh no. Just when it's quite a long book concerning architecture, which isn't the most fascinating thing in the world to me.

Still though, i recommend it. Not sure if i choose it over Anthem but it's up fro grabs.

edit: oh and Bruno, it's VONNEGUT!

dur.

Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 16 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Alright, been a while since I posted in here. Finished a lot of books since I last posted, but I'll stick to what I've finished recently.

I just finished the Narnia series (excluding The Magicians Nephew), which I thought was really good. I thought the parallels in it of Christianity and Islam were rather interesting. I looked that up on wikipedia, and of course there's charges of "racism" about Lewis, which I thought was pretty typical of the politically correct anx

Just getting to work on a bunch of others. I'm continuing reading the Day of the Jackal, which is challenging but very well written. I'm trying to get into the Count of Monte Cristo, but finding it a little hard to get into. It's bloody long as well, so that isn't helping the motivation.

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity
LD count: 23

FabledHero wrote:
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. The hero of the book is a unique individual and level of integrity he has in his pursuit of excellence in his field is quite motivating. What I really like about her books is she incorporates philosophy into her stories, it makes for not just an entertaining novel, but a thought provoking one as well.

Oh... I tried to read The Fountainhead before... I enjoyed Anthem for the same reasons as you enjoy The Fountainhead, but it's such an intimidating book. I think I got to chapter 4. I mean to pick it up again someday, as I own it.

Current LD goal(s): *formerly known as hunaynay
FabledHero
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

hunaynay wrote:
Oh... I tried to read The Fountainhead before... I enjoyed Anthem for the same reasons as you enjoy The Fountainhead, but it's such an intimidating book. I think I got to chapter 4. I mean to pick it up again someday, as I own it.
Ah yes, Anthem was the first of her books I read, it was definitely a great book, short but sweet. While The Fountainhead is a bit more intimidating, once you just pick it up you'll start reading. I read about 337 pages in 2 days about 10 days ago, just picked it up again today and finished it off and thought what took me so long!

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

OtherlandMountain of black glass by tad williams colgate goood . altough the previous parts have been terribly abridged so ill read them again later ..

Astral Dreamer
Magic Dreamer
Somniologist
LD count: so many

I am reading the "Remember Me" Series by Christopher Pike again. Very good reading he puts dream related stuff in most of his books (or at least that of the paranormal) I also like Whisper of Death by him (my favorite book so far by pike)

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Found an amazing buy-one-get-one deal at a local bookstore while out of town. I picked up The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics by Robert Oerter. I've yet to see how good it is.

I also picked up Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them by David Anderegg. I'm a few chapters in and it's both humorous and informative.

(I think that makes 5 books I'm currently reading )

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

hunaynay wrote:

I also picked up Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them by David Anderegg. I'm a few chapters in and it's both humorous and informative.

Now that sound like a good book lach1 yes

Kava
LD4all addict
LD4all addict

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

"The Tao of pooh". I love this book, I read it a few years ago, and this book was like an old friend. If you havnt read it I recomend it. It explains Taoisem using the charecters of Winni the Pooh.

G. atlanticus
Shiny Space Slug
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I went to the library Thursday and picked up one of Stephen Gould's books and Albert Camus's The Plague. I already read The Stranger for school and enjoyed it; I was eager to read more of his work.

Phi_guy
Assistant Pig Keeper
Astral Explorer
LD count: 4

PostPosted: Sun 27 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

I'm reading "Beyond Nummeracy" by John Allen Paulos. It's great, and I'm learning about all kinds of little math jewels.

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jul, 2008  Reply with quote

Not a book really but, The Unabomber's Manifesto.

He did wrong, but he is a genius.

Sarah
You lost The Game : )
cookie lover
LD count: 21/2 :D

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008  Reply with quote

I a rereading Harry Potter. I believe I am on the fourth one. The only reason I am rereading it is because I'm waiting for this other book to get shipped to me(I had nothing else to read tounge2 )! I have wait for TWO MONTHS! to read the 4th twilight book! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!

Tommyboi
LD count: 0 so far

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2008  Reply with quote

I am reading "Haunted" by Palahniuk
That man is a genius!

Phi_guy
Assistant Pig Keeper
Astral Explorer
LD count: 4

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2008  Reply with quote

Now, I'm reading the Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It's really interesting. I don't like how it skips around so much, but I suppose he does have to cover 10,000 years in three books.

print