EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Why do we lucid dream?

Author  Message 
TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

Why do we lucid dream?
PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

As I sit here tonight, I am asking myself a very simple and yet powerful question. One that I canít seem to find the answer to myself, or one that I donít want to fully answer myself.

A question that makes me think about my years of experience in this field and makes me wonder why not just how

The question that I ask myself over and over again tonight is "Why do we lucid dream?"

Is it the thrill of power?
Control?
Is it the rush of being able to do anything you want?
Religious reasons?
The desire to be something different?
The desire to be a god?
To escape from the life that you are living to lead a different life without consequences?
Spiritual advancement?

They are all easy questions to answer, they are all personal and each person here will be able to adopt their own answer to this question, but my question goes further than this, I want to know WHY we lucid dream, not just the surface why but the real why

Why can we do it?

What part of us makes us realise that the world around us is not real, whether it be a fabrication of our minds, the astral planes, or anything else you want to call it, why is it that we have access to this?

Why do we not just fall asleep, let the brain go through its brain waves and heal store recover and rest and run, but instead we dream. The question is not why do we dream, its more than that, itís why do we realise that we are dreaming?

Is it a glimpse of what this world is really about, realising the world around us is nothing more than a fabrication of our own minds, or a collective group of minds?
Do we have access to this ability to not just play, but to instead explore and question our very purpose?

Or is it just through years of evolution, a basic practiced skill has evolved to suit the world around us, is it a tool that many of us have forgotten how to use, a stress relief tool? a wish fulfilment tool that we were granted years apon years ago?

Or is it something more?

Is it that, by lucid dreaming, we are looking through the key hole of the door of our possibilities.

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral
Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
LD count: 22

Love it

First off, the question you are posing is genius. It is realy my basic reason for being spiritual and not scientific. Answering why is much more difficult.

I however believe it is one of the deepest fabricated level of our existence. I think any aspect of the human shows design from a higher "something" The human eye is crazy. Reproduction is a miracle, and Lucid dreaming fits somewhere in with all the magical (lack of a better term) wonders of the world.

I find myself asking questions like this very much so. My history with THE CHURCH & ACID/LSD makes me a off-beat type of individual.

Sleep is something, and the fact we have a subconscious world to run around and play in is even crazier.

I think on a lower/deeper level it is GOD, YUP! GOD reaching out to show us there is more.

#1 Prayer/ Wish of ALL time "LORD give me a sign" (either for his existence or whatever). The thing is, in order to see them, people just need to have their eyes open or woken up (no pun intended).

I have so much more...

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

I would be interseted to read more about what you have to say, there is only so much that I can think about and understand without input and insight from others, please share if you wish.

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Before LD'ing I was more scientific. I wasn't exactly a total close-minded skeptic, but I didn't think there was anything after death and that things like telepathy are real.

Lucid dreaming has opened my mind so much. I'm not really sure what I beleive in, but I don't doubt anything anymore.

I've always thought a LOT about things like "the meaning of life", since I was little. And I, for some reason, feel like Lucid Dreaming has something to do with that. For me at least ^^ I have this gut feeling LD'ing is directly connected with something big.

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

desire

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

but desire for what? power acheivement to break outof the mold

Qu
Founder
Site Admin
Qu has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: lost uhm lots

Richie, this is probably one of your best posts :D

I love it. I can't answer you, well, not like this not on the forum (maybe in a chat sometime ... ) but I really love how you posed this Question.

And yes, I love this invitation to ponder on this. I will post a reply here too. First to ponder smile

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

In my opinion the real question comes back to the simple power of our minds. We have the ability to think in such a complex way that lucid dreaming is just an additional benefit that comes with it, not really intended nor dis-intended by evolution.

I think it is a way in which we can really start to understand the amazing features of existence in a more in-depth way.

All we know for sure is that one day we appeared here and from that point all we can do is learn. It's a tool.

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover

Thank you Q,

As always. I look forward to your wisdom, looking forward to hearing what you think.

Lizard King,

But all tools have a use, if it is to learn what is it to learn? and why did we devolp it, if it is so limit to such asmall amout of people?? intersting tho

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

One thing I think is interesting to think is that we're "put" into this reality and we have rules and laws and many limitations. So it's like we're here for some purpose, maybe. But Lucid Dreams are a way to not make us feel like prisoners.

For example, let's suppose "something greater" than us (God, Mother Nature or whatever) created and/or put us here for a reason. To learn and grow, perhaps, in a reality with certain rules. So LD'ing would be a way to temporarily get out of these rules. Hmm, not sure if I'm explaining what I mean very well.

It's like here we can experience many things. In LD's we can experience the rest, if we'd like.

Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

I can follow that. What would life be WITHOUT limitations... dreams. And what would dreams be WITH limitations... life in a sense. Weird right??? There is something greater, much greater. Call it whatchu want, just don't hide in ignorance thinking its yourself. I'm using lucid dreaming to escape/learn, and on some level Im sure the majority of you are too.

trophycase
Somniologist
Somniologist
trophycase has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 79

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

What is lucid dreaming aside from being aware?

I think that your question is fairly simple. we are given the ability to lucid dream, because we have the ability to be aware.

To properly answer your question, we must first answer another. "Why is it that we dream at all?" this question will always have different answers depending on who you ask. To me, becoming lucid in a dream is as simple as finding the answer to a math question... you just become aware of yourself and your surroundings. It's a mental capacity of our brains.

Dreaming on its own is a deeper mystery to me than that of lucid dreaming...

Carnun
Pasta Salami!
cookie lover
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

I guess to answer that question, I would ask another question ( grin I know its annoying when I do that!) but what are the benefits of lucid dreaming?

I guess scientfic research might be able to answer that, but I think the benefits will differ from one individual to another. I have been pondering the question of whether we should lucid dream?

I truly believe there is no one right answer to your question, and the answers as to why we lucid dream will be as individual as the individuals who provide them.

Wond3rland
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Carnun, very insightful. Should We? or Shouldn't we? Alot of these answers should be found within yourself. Either through faith, trial and error, or overall "gut" feelings. I am hung int he balance of mixing Lucid Dreaming and my Christian faith. By no means am I here to convert or argue. Basic scripture reads we were created int he image/likeness of GOD. I honestly, down to my sox, believe that Lucid dreaming is a "lost avenue" many people are simply out of touch with. It may be one of our most special abilities. Hence, it's reasoning for being so esoteric (I learned that word today... means known by or practiced by few people). Use this gift, understand it is a two-edged sword. As most things are. I believe all things can be used to good or evil. Your intent and passions can very likely change any answer to the question "Why we can lucid dream" (Thus leaving it to be answered on a personal basis, and discussed un biased) What up God?

Thith
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 12

I agree with everything Lizard King said

I also wouldnt think that lucid dreaming is just restricted to humans, all animals that dream probably have the ability to do it.

As more people become aware of lucid dreaming and more people are doing it, it could be something used for thinking up new and great ideas as im sure many of you already do. It may be another step of evolution.

print