Can Depression Hinder an LD?

Author  Message 
johnswifey86
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: wish-alot

Can Depression Hinder an LD?
PostPosted: Sun 15 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

I have been diagnosed w/ mild depression and severe anxiety. I was wondering if that would hinder an LD, or mayb even make things better?

MovieMe
Oneironaut
cookie lover
MovieMe has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Lost count..

Who hasn't got mild depression or severe anxiety these days?
Lucid dreaming will definitly not make it worse, and it will most likely not affect your chances of having one.

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

Many people are free and happy,

yes it can hinder LD ,

depression is just a sign you aren't doing what you want to be,
figure out what that is, and take some good reasonable steps to do it, and then you will be happy !

like for me, I joined an online dating site and messaged lots of people, it took my mind off my emotions immediately, and made me feel happy smile

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

When I was depressed (and still today, sometimes) I had a few rare dreams where I'm depressed and trying to hurt/kill myself shy2 (which doesn't happen at all IWL). But in most of my dreams I'm ok, happy or neutral.

But in my LD's I'm always happy and energetic, I feel free! ^^ It's like the part of me that was depressed stayed asleep when I woke up in my dreams. It was like I was a more pure or true ME in my dreams, and that depresseion was something more... superficial, that only existed in my waking consciousness.

MovieMe
Oneironaut
cookie lover
MovieMe has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Lost count..

PostPosted: Mon 16 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

A very common cause of depression (Which most people experience from time to time) is serotonin deficiency. So I think investigating the chemical causes first would spare you a lot of effort (Imagine waking up in Thailand feeling just as depressed, but now knowing you just sold everything to afford moving here - Not so fun).

johnswifey86
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: wish-alot

PostPosted: Tue 17 Feb, 2009  Reply with quote

I did kno about serotonin being a factor (I do take 5htp tho). Depression is I believe half of a chemical inbalance in your brain and half wuts going on in ones life. The entire 15 mths my husband was deployed to Iraq was when I took a dive. It was the worst time of my life. But its not so bad now. So i'm hoping that the depression wouldn't hinder it. I think mayb it might help, it may just give sum excitment to my life.

Thith
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 12

I had pretty severe depression about 7 or 8 years ago which lasted about 3 or 4 years, eventually I went to see the doctor, I was given medication called Fluox, and went to see a psychologist each week. I dont think the Fluox did anything to help me, but seeing the psychologist helped me a lot.
Your case sounds a bit different, mine was pretty much self confidence issues, social anxiety, that sort of thing.
What the psychologist said was what made me sad was automatic negative thoughts that just spring into my head but werent neccessarily true, and usually they were very general. For example, "I hate myself", then I rated how much I believed it to be true, like 70%. Then I had to think of a rational response to the negative automatic thought, like "I like the music our band plays, I am good at making things and crafts, I help my friends out, I am smart(sometimes), and there are a few things I dont like but I can work on them", and then rate how much I believe this rational response, which was always 100%. And it made me feel better. And I did this whenever I got negative thoughts in my head.
I had do do a few other things which I cant really remember but I think this activity was the thing that helped me most.
Not sure if this info will be useful to you but no harm in writing it down, someone may find it useful

Essa
A Wandering Soul
Astral Explorer
Essa has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: a few...

I've been diagnosed with clinical depression. They haven't told me how severe it is...although I can guess. Now that I think about it, I believe that it has some way affected my ability to LD. My normal dreams have become more...interesting lately. I just need to find the will to write down my dreams again. However I did have a LD a few days ago. And that brought my LDing confidence up a bit. ^^

Now the reason I say it does affect my LDing or dreaming in general, is because it affect my sleep. My sleep patterns are all messed up because of the depression. My social worker said that in depression sleep is one of the last things that improve. So I still have a long way to go.

Now it affects my dreaming, but it doesn't take it away completely.

xxx4321345443
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 15-Something

It's usually during the hard times of my life that my will to lucid dream drives me. Maybe as some kind of escape.

Dream Dragon
That's Me ~~~~
Dream Deity
Dream Dragon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Approx 30+

Definite yes to the question: when you are more relaxed, lucid dreaming is much easier to accomplish, especially if your the kind of person who really needs to focus to make it happen (like myself).

Guys, if you are depressed my first guess would be that you need to "think less" and "move about more". Get active, get some social stuff going and find confidence within yourself. By exercising you release chemicals to make you happy after all... by exercising you can also improve your self-image, as well as your social capabilities/status.

Avoid, alter, accept or adapt to stress whenever it comes around. Hope everyone feels better soon smile. Don't let your depression ruin your life, do what is necessary so you can enjoy your life because you only live once and there's always a way, maybe you just haven't found it yet. Keep looking! And damn... EXERCISE is key trust me. I would even go as far to say that lack-of-exercise is the cause for people reaching depressive states. Focus on your health for a change, your physical health... it can impact your mental health greatly.

Please consult your doctor before taking any of my advice tounge2

Tundra
Wolf of The Dawn
Dream Deity
Tundra has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

First of Depression sucks... mild or otherwise... Like DreamDragon said, you don't have to take antidepressants to get better.. *grins* You've just got to learn how to deal with stress (and I'm not just talking 'zomgi'mgonnabelate stressed..I mean, mental, emotional, physical stress..), and of course exercise is a great way to do that...

If a health problem is stopping you from exercising.. all is not lost! Just keep doing things that keep you busy and happy... and treat yourself from time to time..

RIGHT! To answer your question in hand.

I never found that depression effected my LDing.. in fact, I found it a wuuunderful escape... Dreams are a great way to let off stream/stress/anger whathaveyou...

Sooo, no. *grins* Happy Lucid dreaming! And I truely truely TRUELY hope you feel better soon!!

*hugs*

hugs

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

I agree with both of you, Dream Dragon and Tundra. But every case is different! Some people don't need meds, but other do neutral It's hard to excercise when you're depressed, even knowing it helps you, you just don't have the energy or the will. It really sucks because depression "attacks", amongst other things, your will and strength to get better.

The thing is to find out what makes you better! And I do believe LD'ing is a great way since you can do whatever you want in a LD! grin

Tundra
Wolf of The Dawn
Dream Deity
Tundra has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

mattias... wrote:
I agree with both of you, Dream Dragon and Tundra. But every case is different! Some people don't need meds, but other do neutral

*nods* I agree, just me being the person that doesn't like any form of meds, I neglected to mention that.. My apologies... ^^

Thith
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 12

Yea I guess different things work for different people, I personally found meds didnt help me, but I only tried one type, and if they did work I dont think they could cure what was wrong they would only relieve it temporarily, I also found exercise helped a little to get me focused on something else for that time but didnt get to the heart of the problem. Depression is about having negative thoughts that just pop into your head, sometimes on their own or sometimes something will trigger them, so to get to the heart of the problem you have to change your way of thinking

Winter Depths
Prince of Winter.
Dream Deity
Winter Depths has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 24

Hmm, not that you mention it..
Last year is when I had the majority of my LDs.
I've been here at LD4all for around 2 years.

Last year was a big change in my life, and I was so swamped with work and so depressed, but ironically, it was the year I had the most LDs.

So I don't know, it could be a coincedence.

print