LDs in Discussions

moved from fruits to gen luc. PLEASE post topics in the correct forum.

Anyone ever bring up LDs in public conversation and get looked at. I mean in that awkward way like “Whuuuuu…” I mean everyone has different tastes I got that, Some like red. Other likes blue. Some like chocolate, other vanilla. But I scratch my head with the question, “Why is everyone else not just absorbed by this discovery.” Seriously, even if it take me 15 years to master. Thats a good 8 Hours a day of extra play time for the REST OF MY LIFE!!! Intense, or it rather is to me.

So the topics purpose? Bringing up LDs in RL. Why we’re we never taught about this?

many people i know from real life don’t believe that lucid dreaming is even possible. when i try to explain them and tell about my experience with ld, i often hear that they are not intersted in esoterism. i tried to persuade my sister to lucid dream, i told her about many fantastic adventures i had while lucid and… nothing. she said that she has no time for that.

I keep my LDing a secret exept to only my closest friends / family.
Because one time someone heard about LDing and stuff and didn’t know what it was and went around the school saying I went on a strange “dream site” and posted my dreams to other people. Totally missing the point…

Besides, that’s not even half of what LD4all is.
So anyway, yeah I just avoid telling anyone if I can. If someone asks me face to face though, I’d happily tell them all about LDing.

I think it is the only solution sometimes, not to talk about ld, and I also avoid this topic recently.
But I feel a little sorry that I can’t tell this to my friends… They’re not interested.

This is something I’ll never be able to understand. I know and agree that people are alowed to simply not be interested, of course… :wink:

When I found out about LD’ing I felt like I had been told the greatest secret in life! and yet it was something so natural and obvious. :content: I’ve always been fascinated with reality and consciousness, etc etc

Fortunately I haven’t had much experience with people who look down on LD’ing. Only the fact that books on the subject are always in the esoteric shelves in bookstores :sad: I haven’t talked to people who don’t believe it (that I know of), either.

I have talked to people who think it’s cool but that’s it. They say “I should get into this” but do nothing. I show them ld4all and they never answer me or just take a quick look.

In my experience of talking about LD’s the case that most makes me sad and mad is when people say “but it’s not real, it’s still just a dream!” :cry: I say that the experience is real, only the phisical and social consequences aren’t, but they aren’t able to understand how that is increadible. I try to tell them how realistic and fun it can be. I try to say how interesting it is to get directly in touch with your SC, with your “higher self”. I tell them how you can learn, practice, visit fantastic places from movies or books and talk to characters. Nothing. :cry: I feel so invisible. :neutral:

And one of the examples above where the person said they didn’t have time! How come? :tongue: you’d be asleep wasting time! :rofl:

Anyway, I’ll never understand it.

The only thing I can think about is something deeper and more philosophical like only few people are “meant” to have these experiences. “Meant” probably isn’t the best word and I don’t want to sound like we’re special or Chosen or whatever… :tongue:

Still keeps me thinking though… :neutral:

(sorry for yet another long post XD)

“”“In my experience of talking about LD’s the case that most makes me sad and mad is when people say “but it’s not real, it’s still just a dream!” I say that the experience is real, only the phisical and social consequences aren’t, but they aren’t able to understand how that is increadible. I try to tell them how realistic and fun it can be. I try to say how interesting it is to get directly in touch with your SC, with your “higher self”. I tell them how you can learn, practice, visit fantastic places from movies or books and talk to characters. Nothing. I feel so invisible. “””

I feel you, I empathize greatly. They say “Wow!” But still don’t get it. I get the whole “It’s not real thing either.” My only argument is, “NEITHER IS TV! NEITHER WERE THE DRUGS YOU TOOK! NEITHER WAS THE BOOK YOU READ!” I feel invisible too. I am an ex druggie, this LD stuff saved my life. I needed that escape, I found it. And I feel the world needs it too, just doesn’t have the span to grasp it. Sometimes I think the world is ADHD, as much as they prescribe it. The greatest secret to life, indeed. That’s how I feel. So natural as well.

:: If anyone says LD are not real, I reply… “On the contrary they are the most real experience, simply because it takes no outside stimulus to work. You don’t need a food, a movie, a drug” LDs are the most real. Anyone follow? ::

I tend to bring up the subject only if I feel the people around me will understand and benefit from the conversation.

Ive told a few of my friends and they had heard about it before and thought it sounded pretty cool but werent really that interested in trying it, one said he had even had one before where he knew he was dreaming and he just decided to walk on a neverending trail.

Like you say about different tastes, different people care about different things, its not wrong for people not to be interested, there are probably many things that you arent interested in but other people think are the most amazing things ever.

@wond3rland: yeah, I usually say “well, what IS real?” or “why is this here real?” :tongue:

@thith: I agree, but I think it’s weird that people don’t want to LD. I’m not talking about the interest in LD’ing itself.

I’m saying you can do what you want in a LD! and everybody wants things, right? maybe they don’t like to fly like most people, maybe they just like to watch tv. I bet there are great tv shows in LD’s :wink: Maybe they want women and money, well you can do that in a LD… I mean, I think anyone could benefit and enjoy LD’s their own way, that’s all :wink:

I’m not criticizing, I also took some time to get into LD’s, I had to find ld4all to understand how limitless LD’s are :grin:

Yea, maybe other people just dont see the potential that we do in LD’s, I guess it does take a bit of work to get into them, like I have put far more work into reading about LD’s and trying to have them than the amount of time I have spent LDing which is probably only about a couple of hours all up(but has seemed like a lot longer due to dream time), but it is definately well worth it. I cant wait to have more.

I feel lucky to have stumbled across the world of LDing and LD4all too of course :smile:

Imagine if everyone in the world practiced LDing… you could do a reality check every time you saw somebody else doing one, and if it were really big in the media, then surely you would have dreams that tell you to RC, and surely in your dreams you would see other people RCing since you were brought up that way… and this would probably also end the ever so prominant “Hey! You’re in my dream! i’m dreaming!”; “No you’re not…” ordeal.

I think that Waking Life describes LDing in the best way though.

“dreams aren’t dead. they’re just forgoten. nobody teaches it, so nobody knows it exists.”

And wonderland, when people tell you that dreams aren’t real, you should use one of my favorite quotes! “Dreams are real while they last. can’t the same thing be said about waking life?”

And yeah. i totally don’t get where the world has gone. nobody cares about bettering themselves or learning about themselves. all they care about is the external world. They don’t live to be alive. they live simply for the purpose of living.

LD’s are so natural… they’re like a gift given to us, and i almost feel offended that more people don’t take advantage of it! It’s the most amazing experience you will ever have. it’s unlike anything else, and it’s completely free and completely natural. LD’s are the only place where you can experience anything you’ve ever dreamt of trying IWL. Why would you not want to take advantage of that?

I feel as if lucid dreaming will just always be kept a secret… i guess that we just have to conclude that people just don’t care anymore. they eat, they drink, they sleep (mindlessly), and they die. Many people will go through life without ever feeling a TRUE euphoria. They just don’t get it…

Maybe in the future on TV channels every now and then an advert will come on saying "please stop what you are doing and perform a :rc: "

:happy: That would be so great to see between comercials!

Argh, I definitely run into the same resistance that everyone else seems to deal with. Of all the people I’ve talked to about it, only one has really taken enough interest to actually try it… my siblings say it’s really cool but don’t try it, my friends are about the same, and my parents merely seem to tolerate it, like it’s some kind of phase I’m going through… It’s aggravating :grrr: .

I’m still pretty open about it, though, when I hear people discussing dreams; I think that if nothing else, I can at least try to clear up misconceptions that people have about lucid dreams (though sometimes it seems like even THAT fails). In the end, though, I feel like it’s just something that you have to discover for yourself; it’s almost better that way, I think, because that way it really means something to you.

I totally agree! :smile:

and the “phase” thing, argh… the word “phase” is terrible :cry:

I try not to say “lucid dreaming” because it sounds new-ageish. I describe them( Realizng that your dreaming and controling it) Most people can understand that.

Lucid Dreaming is pretty far removed from many people’s experience. Dreams are nothing to be concerned with it seems. It’s like meditation. I try to make my friend understand that he can use if to reduce and eliminate his anxiety. He knows about it, I told him all about it. He still refuses to try it. Though sometimes after much discussion, he will try it. Every time he tried, he says it works. Then he doesn’t do it again, even though it worked. So, even with the understanding, it’s still not interesting to him, because he thinks it’s boring. The obvious benefits are not enough. I imagine it’s the same regarding lucid dreams, as I told the same friend about it, he thinks it seems cool, but he does not want to do the work. Nobody does. I think it is simply too far removed. It’s not something they see themselves doing. Not part of their self image.
All I can do is present it to people who will listen, and hope I do a good enough job explaining it. Like a presentation at the university, is an opportunity if you get to choose your topic. Using text from EWLD in text analysis class. I just figure I’ll put it out there, but I wont go to any lengths trying to get the word out. Talk about it like it’s the most common thing in the world. I hear people hesitate when they talk about it, like they are a bout to say something completely new to people. Pretend they know about it already and see how they react! They may feel like they have missed something and ask about it. They they are yours! Muhuhahahah!

I excitedly described LD’ing to my friends when I first learned about it (though I’ve still only had two short ones), and they didn’t seem too interested. I tried to get them to see that you can do ANYTHING in an LD, but one of them in particular wouldn’t listen. He said that he can do the same thing by daydreaming in school, and refused to believe that an LD could be much better than that. (This is the same guy who insists that he does not dream every night, despite how many times I tell him that EVERYONE DOES.)
I now avoid the subject with just about everyone I know IRL, although I do have one RL friend who has natural LD’s regularly, without trying.

i don’t tell a lot of people about lucid dreaming. i mean i don’t just go around spewing stuff about what i do while dreaming, it’s not a topic that comes up easily. but sometimes i’ll talk to closer friends and my family about dreaming and lucid dreaming. they won’t think i’m too weird, although a lot of people find it odd that someone would spend so much time thinking about their dreams and actually consider them important. maybe that’s just western culture, though. i do get crap from some people about keeping something called a “dream journal” though. i just tell them it’s kind of like a scientific journal, to which they say “rriiigght…”

My brother yesterday asked me what I was reading about.It was a book by Stephen LaBerge.
I explained to him what it was all about. He seemed to think that because it’s not real it is a pointless activity.
I explained how computer games are not real but he enjoys them and its eight hours a day added to your life effectively.

He showed no interest and remarked how he almost never remembers dreams and I suspect he’s never remembered one vividly.
So I think it’s a simple case of some people have at all have no interest simply because they have no idea what a dream is really like.
Whilst we probably all have some vivid memories before we heard about LDs thus we understand the possibilitys.