Lucid Dreaming and My Lord????

Before I got started dreaming I just wanted to clear something up…(?)
:eh:
I know that Lucid Dreaming is often used to ‘reach the inner self’ or whatever, and I just wanted to ask about the opinions on LD’s and Christianity. :confused: Do they conflict? I don’t see any real ways that they do but I was hoping to get some insight from any Christian or, I guess, otherwise, on the board. Thanks! :content:

There is absolutely no conflict between Christianity and LDing. Yes, LDing can be used to reach the “inner self,” but it can also be used to grow closer to God. Many people have life changing experiences in their dreams. If you’re a Christian, try praying or worshipping God in a LD, and I promise you, it will be the most intense spiritual experience you’ve ever had. It sounds crazy, but why not even talk with God and ask any question you want?! I think the reason why many Christians tend to be skeptical or even afraid of LDing and out-of-body experiences is because they simply don’t understand them. However, I believe the early christians did understand these practices and even used them…

don’t listen to sage, we’re all hellbound pagans

but anyway, i don’t really consider myself christian, but i have this one friend who is really devout (he holds bible studies in my dorm and everything) i suggested LDing to him one day, and i think he liked the idea but i don’t think he ever pursued it (and if he didn’t dismiss the idea as witchcraft and other demonic things than no one will). but i agree with sage on this one, it’s a great way to grow in your faith, no matter what it is. just as long as you’re having fun :smile:

Here’s a question for anyone who believes in sin…

Do you think it’s possible to sin in an LD? I mean having lots of sex, going on killing rampages, eating meat on Fridays, whatever - can any of it be a sin since its not “real?” Just interested in hearing people’s views on this. :happy:

No, I don’t think there is any way to sin in an LD, because you’re right… it isn’t real.
There is a big difference between killing someone in an LD (for fun, curiosity, whatever) and actually doing it in real life. I think I read in a post a while ago (sorry, can’t remember who said it) that while asleep your brain produces less of the chemical that inhibits your actions and gives you a sense of right and wrong, or something. So people shouldn’t feel guilty or anything like they have sinned for whatever they do in LD’s.

If you look in to the scripture of most religions they mention LD’s and even OBE’s with such obvious clarity is is hard to comprehend they even are able to ignore it. Why would they do this ----- because they go to church on Sunday ( or whatever ) then dont live it for the rest of the week - so are so far from knowing Jack about it, so try to mould the world in to the little box that they have decided it should fit in, and consequently they follow human nature and - fear the unknown!!! I read a christian site yesterday talking about all these things as being the work of the devil. I was able to accept the reason they thought as they did on spirituality…but then they got in to hindu’s, buddhists, jew’s, and even suggested the “Pope” was a devil worshipper for allowing other religous heads to participate in world prayer day…OMG - that was enough BS for me. And I dont subscribe to any religion !!

hmm…shouldnt talk about religion…no one can agree on it…

but heres my 2 cents…

it depends on how “deticated” a person is to their religion…some are just crazy and say anythign thats not in the bible is a sin and others dont really care…im catholic (i think) but im always open to new ideas and beleifs…I dont throw out people for what they beleive in, rather how they choose to live their life… but as for LDing…I dont see it in anyway to be against any religion…god gave us a brain and a mind…an LD allows to use it to our full benefit. Now doing all those nasty things like sex and killing in a dream is also, to me, ok… like most said…its only in your mind…you didnt hurt anyone…but ofcourse…make sure this behavior doesnt come out into the real world.

Dream your dreams and live you life…

Hmm… I’m a believer too, and from my experience lucid dreaming can come to a person so naturally, that it is also a gift from God… and in the Bible, there are also passages that suggest that people talk to God in their dreams.

Let’s see…

"Matthew 1

20But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[1] because he will save his people from their sins.”
"

This continues with Joseph waking up and making his desicion.

Well, not exactly lucid dreaming, but there, it seems God has no problem with his people leading a dream-life also.

Still, my own limits in lucid dreams comes at the point of considering killing rampages etc. Sin or not, I’m a peaceful man, don’t want to hurt anyone in any way in a dream, not deliberately…

I’m a believer too, a Catholic, and in my LD’s I’ve never gone on rampages.

I don’t think what happens in an LD is a serious sin, but some things might be venial ones. Cause Jesus mentioned thoughts being sinful…

I don’t seek the ‘inner self’ for an LD and with all respect I don’t believe in some of the stuff that’s being posted (SG’s etc).

They dont conflict at all, Im a christian, and I’ve had 4 :smile:

It would depend on how much LD control you had…and of course it would be a much lesser sin than doing it in real life.

Is LDing contrary to Christianity
No. I’m a Roman Catholic and I can see it as a way of deepening your faith.

But aren’t all sins supposed to be equal?

The way I see it, if you consider violent games to be a sin (lets go with GTA: Vice City for example) and believe it wrong to take pleasure from this, then equally it is a sin to dream about massacre.
However, if you see games as merely a platform via which you can vent any pent up anger, rage etc. without hurting anyone real and still living peacefully, how does this differ from a dream? all you are doing is freeing your mind of these thoughts.

I am personally no chrisitan, but i have noticed that there are different views on this, some christians think it is ok, while some other think it has something to do with witchcraft. Personally i cant see anything that points to that lucid dreaming is wrong.

“that lucid dreaming is wrong.”
:ok:

There’s something that points to that lucid dreaming is wrong. :peek:

As a Christian, I believe LDing is ok. However SG’s mentioned in the forums are either evil spirits or creations of one’s mind. I don’t think it’s ok to have one as a Christian (actually we have a better guide, the Holy Spirit). Also I think the meditation as mentioned with regards to LDing is not ok too. I respect those who use it etc however this is my belief. I wonder if Christian meditation on Jesus would work as a substitute, or even better (no breathing technique would be used). Perhaps somebody familiar with the technique (I’m not into the technique - I pray using other types of prayers and not this form) could try. Perhaps just thinking of Jesus would work.

Sage…How can all sins be equal? So thinking I wish I had my neighbour’s car would be an equal sin to torturing him and killing him? :eek:

Crazy…Violent video games GTA etc cannot be compared with willful violence in lucid dreams (I’m not talking about normal dreams) and the more control you have, then the more dangerous it could be. Take rape you could visualise someone you know in real life…wouldn’t that be violating their real privacy etc.

To the last poster I personally wouldn’t be happy experimenting with OBEs , a lot of meditation techiques can be refocused onto our relationship with God.

You make the decision to kill in the dream. You make the decision to buy the game to enable you to kill in virtual reality. Neither is real and both simulate a horrific situation. Where’s the difference?

Crazy… the difference is one is more removed from your personal choices, a video game could never reproduce a first person violent dream where every action is premeditated and the victims can be the actual people you know in real life.

I take your point and I totally agree with you. But what i’m saying is that it’s just as much a sin (or not, depending on your point of view) to kill virtual people whom you don’t know [as they are computer generated] than to kill your mind’s image of someone you know.

I just spent the past 10 minutes thinking and re-thinking this and I very nearly changed my mind. I ws going to comment that the point of a game like GTA is to kill whereas the point of a dream is to create. So by playing GTA you have to destroy and it’s not your fault, but you bought the game in the first place. You consciously wanted a break from reality to play rebel and do all the things you couldn’t do in real life.
So surely an LD is just a cheaper way of achieving this? You can act out anything you please and as it is lucid the people you are killing don’t need to be people you know. But can be faceless (so that you don’t impose a personality on them = if you get my meaning?) and you can thus vent your imagination this way.
Saying that this is sinful would be saying that it is sinful to imagine, surely?