Extending Time

Author  Message 
Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity
Location: My body lives in England, but my spirit roams the wilds

Extending Time
PostPosted: Thu 31 Jul, 2003  Reply with quote

Often our dreams seem to last for a different amount of time than they actually do. E.g. what seems like 30 mins of a dream can be only 10 mins in real life.

If we could find a way to extend time in our dreams it would be brilliant. We could have what seem like year long periods of being lucid in a single night.

I know that this is possible because of a thread I was reading in "The Quest for Lucidity" called "Time Competition." People who have posted in that thread have had experiences of dreams that have seemed to last years. DM7 had a dream that seemed to last a lifetime!

One way that I think this might be possible is coming to a door in your dream and saying "when I walk through this door I will have a dream that seems to last a year but will only last 15 minutes in real life"

Alternatively you could try and reach the lucid crossroads and ask a dream guide to point to a door that will allow a dream like this.

I don't know if this will work, but I think that it would be a good experiment. So if anyone finds time in a lucid dream can u please try this and post your results.

If it works, we may all live for what seems like a 1000 life times! - or more....

Atheist
Hopelessly devoted
cookie lover

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

There doesnít seem to be any reason for dream time to be different to RL time, given the way time perception is based on the frequency at which your brain is operating. For a while now, Iíve been curious about what would happen if we were somehow able to speed up our brains while asleep. More pulses per second, would (from my way of thinking) effectively reduce the speed of time passage. Whether that would work in reality or not is questionable (we canít change the speed of certain other chemical components in the brain) but it still remains intriguing.

Unfortunately, people just canít change the frequency of their brain to the level that would be required to noticeably affect time perception. We can see through the use of various brainwave monitoring devices that REM sleep involves much the same brain activity as the waking state. This allows us to conclude that time works at the same speed in both states, and that any supposed time extension one way or the other must simply be due to the way dreams tend to Ďskip the detailsí. A dream might have you walking from your house to your friends, which would take 30 minutes in real life. In the dream though, itís more than likely you teleported most of the way, and your imagination simply filled in the rest in retrospect.

Of course, this relies on dreams taking place within the boundaries of the physical mind. If you believe dreams take place in an external reality, or in some way separate you from the physical world, feel free to imagine anything you like regarding time passage. wink

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity

Crowe - Thanks for telling me about those experiments, I didn't know about them. I understand what you're saying in the example and I'll reply to that in a sec.

Atheist - Nope, I don't believe that dreams are in a different world or anything. If we could speed up our brains then yes, that would work. But it's probably not possible as you said. And I understand what you mean about skipping the details.

Right, now correct me if I'm wrong on anything that I say, I don't know too much about the brain.
You both make good points, but I don't think they are relevant to if someone is lucid. I think they would notice if anything was missed out. According to posts that I have read some people who have had these year long or days long or lifetimes long dreams have been lucid at the time.

Imagine if you wake up on a saturday. If you sit on a chair and stay there the whole day, it will seem to last ages. If you do something fun, however, it wont seem to last as long. The time has been the same both times, but you have percieved it differently.

Anyway, I'm going to try this experiment, you never know it could work.

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity

Here's a quote from the time competition thread which show why I think it's possible.

Dreamwalker wrote:
Quote:
I would say about an hour or so,maybe longer. No real way to know.
In my dream I had it go on for so long that I thought I would never wake up and be stuck in my dreams forever. It was so long I really lost track of how long it was. If I had to guess I would say years or so.

dreamwalker
Ne Plus Ultra
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

last night I slept 14 hours and I would say that I was Lucid about 3/4 or more. In that time I had 3 different LDs. All the LDs were very vivid and smooth. It was really nice.
I only slept that long because I was sick. It 's the 2nd time I have ever slept that long. I'm still kinda sick so pardon me if I write this funny.

Tomas
The lucid dreamer
cookie lover

i have had weeks long non lucid dreams atleast, so i think it would be possible with lucid dreams too.. I have no idea how it works, but it truly feels like that amount of time has passed in the dream.

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity

tomas - That's good, if it feels like that time has passed, then that's what counts. Hopefully by experimenting we will be able to have very long dreams deliberately.

dreamwalker - that's an impressive amount of Ld's, are u a natural LD'er? If not, what techniques do u use?

DreamAddict
DayDream
just the colored stars

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

I decided to give this a try last night and was lucky enough to give it a shot. In my dream I was going down my Grandmother's old driveway. It was a very long driveway and toward the midpoint I realized I was dreaming. I instantly remembered this experiment so I looked for a door. I was in the middle of the woods so no door was around. wink So I picked some leaves off of a tree and said "When these leaves hit the ground I'll dream for a week" :D I continued to explore until I got to a large field.

The dream seemed vivid and long, but I started to lose lucidity and wake up. I thought . . I really had a false awakening and "woke" up at my childhood home. I continued this dream unlucid but I had lots of vivid dreams throughout the night.

I hope I can get a better 2nd shot. I'm not too satisfied with this one. neutral Fun experiment though!

dreamwalker
Ne Plus Ultra
Dream Deity

Well Dreamer. To asnwer your question I'm a natural LDr. Been doing it since I was about 4 or 5. grin

Dreamer
Yes Indeedy
Dream Deity

Dreamaddict - thanks for giving it a try. Hopefully it'll work next time.

Dreamwalker - lucky you!

TimeLess
Timeless Dreamer
cookie lover
TimeLess has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: hundreds

PostPosted: Sat 09 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

hmm interesting, but the one thing stephen laburge forgot to mention in my oppion is this.

He was rtying to see if dream time was the same as real time. And he found that it could be. True. But did think that by trying to see if dream time wasthe same as rl time, that infact for hat moment it would be.?

I know it would be very hard to see if time was diffrent with out meausering it to some sort of scale, but i think that if we try and meauser it than we are in fact actally making our dream time the same as our rl time........ does that make sence????

Peace

Richard

Current LD goal(s): regain my nightly and focus on astral

yeah I agree. LaBerge could have tried extending the time by asking his subconsious or trying something else. Then he should have kept count while doing all sorts of time distorting things like matrix moves... or having FAs by saying something like, "When I drop to this floor time will be slowed" and then falling backwards... while someone outside was timing. Then after an agreed amount of time, say 10 minutes dream time, he could wake up and the outside guy could record how long it actually was. Anyway I understand your point Timeless

Technodreamer
In mod disguise!
cookie lover

Another Theory

I've been searching for a topic on time and LDing. At http://brain.web-us.com/lucid/luciddreamingFAQ.htm it tells us that it is possible to read one million words per minuet. It says how the brain can simustanusly process massive amounts of information.

To make more time in a dream, you may not have to change the frequency of your brain, if it's possible or not Just the amount of information your brain processes at once and then links together. So that when you awake, the dream seems that it is one long story instead of 100 parts at once.

This theroy is unreliable, but what do you think?

If you spent 100 years in a dream world, wouldn't you be a changed person when you wake up. A 14 year old like me would have the wiseness and experience of a 114 year old person, if not more due to growing in a technology rich enviorement.

Again what do you think?
Technodreamer siiw

Current LD goal(s): Remember dreams
Lupustheflyingdog
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

It can be done. Someone on the Life, The Univese and Everything board on GameFAQs did it once. Really stretched it out. BUT, that board is now a cesspool of sex topics and this was, like, a year ago so I have no URL to back me up. Sorry neutral

Mattz
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug, 2003  Reply with quote

If you want more on LDs on [url]www.gamefaqs.com[/url] go to the Paranormal/Conspiracy board. Its board number 214. they have topics on LDing, thats where I learned about it. say teh guy who lives by Loch Ness sent you to get a round of confused ??? 's[/url]

print