The Spirit of Gifting XII
print ShareShare 

The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part V

Page 2 of 4Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Author  Message 
moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

Everyone has SP when they fall asleep, it's just that we usually aren't aware of it. When practicing WILD we stay aware so we experience it.

Best way to calm down is knowing it isn't real and that you are moving closer to that lucid dream.

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
shinju
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2010  Reply with quote

I intentionally didn't sleep the night before the last one, and even though I was tired as hell I couldn'd sleep even last night, because the moment I fell in my bed I started to feel my body falling asleep and suddenly I was really scared that I'll get a SP and an old hag D: I have never experienced it and I have no idea why I was so sure I was about to get one...and the more I was thinking about it the more I was sure it will happen >__> I even told myself it won't be that bad because I know it's not real and stuff, and that I could get lucid easily, but still... it was like I subconsciously refused to fall asleep because I was so frightened....in case it happens again, help? sadblauw
I then went to bed at about 5am and got 4 hours of bad sleep...

romiehomie
LD count: 2

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep, 2010  Reply with quote

Well I guess you just have to make the experience once to see it´s not that bad.
People in the middle ages were very frightened of it because they didn´t know what it is and thought it would kill them or something.
If I was you and would be overwhelmed by the fear of experiencing SP I would just think of something else and just don´t think about it. Think rational about your fear before lying down but make clear to not think about it after you layed down.

I´m not afraid of SP anymore because I had it really often when I was young.
The box on the other side of the room transformed into a monster at least twice a week and if not the flower pot hanging from my ceiling did ^^
Now it almost never happens...

patches
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 3

Scary Sleep Paralysis Experiences
PostPosted: Sun 07 Nov, 2010  Reply with quote

Okay, So I've never experienced sleep paralysis
but I was watching a video by Reece Jones on the subject (I dont know if any of you are familiar with his LDing tutorials, He is actually how I found out about LDing)

But I'm just interested to know if any of you have had any freaky experiences,
Kinda to see what I'm getting myself into haha.
Because from what I hear Its bound to happen to me at some point.

tosxyChor
Dream Winged Zen Pony
cookie lover
tosxyChor has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: d(LD)/dt>0

Well, http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39056
But you're wrong in this regard, SP is a completely optional step if you want it so, I WILD all the time without experiencing any ^^

Current LD goal(s): Healing
Itomie
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2 !

Two night ago, I've try to stay awake and enter in a dream. Before, I've decided to make an exercice of relaxation. I felt a kind of floating, but there was no light in my room and I felt frightened. I imagined a kind of monster or something that can arise in front of me, but I realized that I could'nt move. So I decided to stop it, and little by little I did not feel paralyse any more. Was it a kind of Sleep paralysis ?

And last night I've kept the light on to make the same exercice of relaxation and I didn't imagine and see anything, but I heard weird things, like steps. Can we hear things during sleep paralysis ?

Current LD goal(s): Make a long LD
Y4ZT
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: <10

Itomie wrote:
And last night I've kept the light on to make the same exercice of relaxation and I didn't imagine and see anything, but I heard weird things, like steps. Can we hear things during sleep paralysis ?

Should head on over to the "FAQs and Tutorials" section and look at some of the great WILDing guides. Also it is very likely to hear/see things durring SP, called HH, HI, or HS.

Current LD goal(s): Do the quest of the month, not fail at flying...agian....agian
Itomie
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2 !

Ok, thank you !
I knew that during SP we often see thing but I didn't know about sound smile

Current LD goal(s): Make a long LD
arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

Re: Scary Sleep Paralysis Experiences

patches wrote:
Okay, So I've never experienced sleep paralysis
but I was watching a video by Reece Jones on the subject (I dont know if any of you are familiar with his LDing tutorials, He is actually how I found out about LDing)

But I'm just interested to know if any of you have had any freaky experiences,
Kinda to see what I'm getting myself into haha.
Because from what I hear Its bound to happen to me at some point.

If you don't sleep on your back, it probably won't happen to you.

If you ever experience it fully, you'll never want to experience it again.

patches
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 3

PostPosted: Mon 08 Nov, 2010  Reply with quote

@tosxychor

I have read many times that it can happen as you wake up, so that would really be unavoidable.

arne saknussemm
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 16 Nov, 2010  Reply with quote

I think the people who say that it's nothing or that it's fun have never really experienced it. They've just been aware of the moment before they fall asleep.

Svenshinhan
Dream Walker
Dream Deity
Svenshinhan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

That's basically saying that anyone who claims that they didn't find it absolutely terrifying is lying by default. I don't think that's a fair call to make. People experience things differently, after all.

Current LD goal(s): To expand the world of Silverwind City in my lucid dreams!
tosxyChor
Dream Winged Zen Pony
cookie lover
tosxyChor has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: d(LD)/dt>0

patches wrote:
I have read many times that it can happen as you wake up, so that would really be unavoidable.

Well, I don't think waking up is that required of a step for a WILD induction

Also arne, there's SP where you just can't move, and SP where it's dark and eyes plays you tricks and some shadow appears in the corner of the eye and people get scared and the whole thing spirals down into some freaky encounter, but they're both SP experiences. Get my point?

Current LD goal(s): Healing
Move Zig
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Dozens

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010  Reply with quote

I've had SP and 'old hag'. In my case, the hag was a medusa/gorgon peering at me from the corner of my sight. I knew it was a hallucination, so I didn't freak out. Now I'm not too sure about this anymore, but the colors I could see in my room were dull, reminded me of Silent Hill but not quite as drastic.

Current LD goal(s): Establish a reliable WILD technique; learn how to extend duration of LDs
hashashin
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 2

PostPosted: Thu 18 Nov, 2010  Reply with quote

Teraflare8866 wrote:
That's very true - you need to be aware that SP can't harm you, and then it turns out to be fun. If you are scared, SP will most likely be scary. If you aren't scared, SP will most likely be, well...not scary.

I had another SP experience last night. This time, I didn't realise at the time and I was pretty scared - so it turned out to be quite frightening.
It was a shadow demon figure standing right infront of me, snarling and growling at me in an evil manner.

Me I was around 17 when I experienced my first SP. There was this evil dark hunchback creature just looking at me, I was helpless paralyzed and I couldn't scream. Finally I got out of it, I started researching and I thought it was a succubi or some other demon. I should probably brush up on my malleus maleficarum. or it's just a HH

Current LD goal(s): 5
Page 2 of 4Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

print   ShareShare