Feeling pain in LD.

Author  Message 
Kairos
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 13

Feeling pain in LD.
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011  Reply with quote

LD (DILD): I was dreaming of a riot in a crowded street. I became lucid after a RC, the lucidity was clearily installed and i was relaxed dispite the riot surrounding me. A female DC appeared in front of me and explained me that knowing that i am in a dream shouldn't make me so confident.
I answer: "It is a dream so even if what happens is beyond my conscious control, nothing can hurt me for real here."
she replies: "Even if you can receive no injury you can still feel pain" and she rises her index right above my eyes on my forehead and push through my skull to my brain. At first I start to "feel" pain but as a spectator thinking that anyway it is a dream and therefore i can overcome this subjective feeling.
I reply:"See, you can hurt me but I can bear with it"
She just smiles as a reply. And the pain becomes very intense to a point were I can't anymore stand it. Then i wake up (RC, no false awakening) all of a sudden and write this in my Diary. Having for 2 minutes the burning feeling on my forehead fading slowly.

context: i had around 10 Ld so far, and it is true that through those successes i might have gotten cocky that would explain this scene

What i ask is your advice on what happened there? I never feel pain in my dreams that's even a dream hint for me. A lesson from my subconscious to my ego? Is it normal that such strong perceptions can pass from dreams to reality (not an emotion). Every experience concerning pain in dreams would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies

Current LD goal(s): Improve my dream recall and LD frequency
Faraday
Outworld Dreamer
Somniologist
LD count: ~49

Reminds me a ND where a predator put me down and plant his blade in my back...

I perfectly remember the pain...

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Current LD goal(s): Increase Lucidity / Find a way to LD when i want./ Find a DC i already met.
Resa
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
Resa has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Couldn't you make the woman disappear?

Current LD goal(s): Be more consistent with RC's.
allenthelero
Dreamscape Explorer
Lucid Initiate
LD count: OVER 9000!!!!

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jan, 2011  Reply with quote

I almost always feel pain in my dreams, whether it's lucid or not. Mostly impacts and blunt force but it is actually kind of "cool" because I have felt what it fells like to be shot. However dream pain is not the real pain felt from the incident IRL, just what you're mind imagines it to be.

Current LD goal(s): Fuck bitches.
Kairos
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

@Wings: I didn't tried to make her disappear. Her point was not to make me feel pain. I guess it was just a mean to make me realise something else. I was feeling she wasn't an ennemy. Contrary to other characters of the dream she seemed to incarnate my subconscious self, or my complementary part in other words (@Faraday: malicious indeed XD). It is definitely not a lucid nightmare

My interpretation is that I got too cocky. My ego was too full of itself so my complementary part had to show me that i had to cope with her instead of trying to oppose. Very subjective though... Maybe i should have tried to negociate with her instead of challenging her and then i could have continued the LD, maybe...

This dream is unusual but not disturbing. I'm looking for similar experiences to understand it better. Faraday, in your "predator dream" you clearly remember the pain on your back. But when you woke up did you actually felt it on your back? These is the disturbing point for me. I had a perception of fading pain after i suddenly woke up out of the LD. One hypothesis would be that in case of intense pain, that is in both dream or reality a production of the brain (nociception) the perception might pass from dream to awaken state if the time period is short.

Is there dreamers here who had the reverse effect? i.e. Perceiving pain in daytime (accident, toothache, etc) that was connected with same perception in your dreams?

Kairos
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

@allenthelero: Yeah it is kind of cool indeed smile Pain is a byproduct of the mind so i think it is possible to feel it the same IRL and in dreams. But i agree with you that most of the time it's not the samee. In dreams, but this particular dream, i would call that "fluffy pain". XD

JayHaze
Are You Experienced?
Somniologist
LD count: 21

maybe she was aiming for your pineal gland...

allenthelero
Dreamscape Explorer
Lucid Initiate
LD count: OVER 9000!!!!

Its possible that dream pain carried into the RL could be caused by something you are sleeping on. For example say you slept with something in you're pillow and it was grinding (For lack of a better word) against you're head while you slept. This probably has the same effect as people suffocating in dreams and waking up with their faces in their pillows.

Current LD goal(s): Fuck bitches.
Faith42
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

I agree with allenthelero.
Once, I wore a blindfold to bed (it helps me fall asleep) and I was still wearing it throughout my dream (and couldn't see).
Also, in my last dream, I was shot in the leg. It hurt like crazy, but it healed really fast (which made me realize I was dreaming and I got a LD!).

Kairos
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Yes i considered that it could be something hitting my forehead IRL. But it wasn't the case as i slept lying on the back with nothing even touching my forehead and i'm sure of that because i woke up so suddenly.

Madison981 has made an interesting point. If you can bring to wonderland your blindfold it is certainly possible to do the reverse process. I mean it is already sure for emotionnal states, why not for physical perception?

Let say your leg is shot in the dream (no real world cause at all) you wake up suddenly and you might feel the pain fading. Is it plausible? I guess normally the body sleep paralysis should prevent this from occuring but it may have leaks like for sleepwalkers.

Kairos
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

@JayHaze: What would have been her purpose to seek for my pineal gland. Waking me up? What is your hypothesis? I would have thought she was aiming for my prefrontal cortex but only because of the area that was aching wink

Faraday
Outworld Dreamer
Somniologist
LD count: ~49

Kairos wrote:
Faraday, in your "predator dream" you clearly remember the pain on your back. But when you woke up did you actually felt it on your back?

When i woke up i was still in pain, after that i haven't been able to sleep on my back for some days. ^^

Current LD goal(s): Increase Lucidity / Find a way to LD when i want./ Find a DC i already met.
Faith42
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

Kairos wrote:
I guess normally the body sleep paralysis should prevent this from occuring but it may have leaks like for sleepwalkers.

Actually, people sleepwalk during the fourth stage of sleep, which is furthest stage (besides stage 1, which you only enter once) from REM sleep (stage 5) (you go through stage 2-4 then back to stage 3 then 2 before entering stage 5)

fleshandbone
Dreaming Superbeast
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 8

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2011  Reply with quote

Well although I haven't expirienced dream pain myself I've seen plenty of stories on this forum to know that in a lot of cases intense dream pain can sometimes carry out into WL. To further investigate this phenomenon I will stab myself in a LD and tell you all how it goes. yes

JayHaze
Are You Experienced?
Somniologist
LD count: 21

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jan, 2011  Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
@JayHaze: What would have been her purpose to seek for my pineal gland. Waking me up? What is your hypothesis? I would have thought she was aiming for my prefrontal cortex but only because of the area that was aching wink

It produces the serotonin derivative melatonin, a hormone that affects the modulation of wake/sleep patterns and seasonal functions. She might have been trying to wake you up.

print