Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Liquid dream software!

Author  Message 
IAmCoder
The First Lightbender
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments! I would definitely recommend writing your own DJ - it has been a great journey for me. And please let me know what I can add that you would want in a dream journal.

Please let me know if the play / stop function is not intuitive and can be improved.

wolvendeer
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Scribes
LD count: 23?

Here are some things I would like to see in a DJ. They may or may not be in yours; I haven't evaluated it fully.

* Statistics about everything. Which characters were more likely to appear in which dreamscapes (or dreamscapes with which types of features) or in dreams dominated by which emotions, standard details on dreams/lucids/etc, details on suppliments I took or techniques I tried in relation to recall and lucidity, etc.
* More details on DC. For example: What type of DC was it (e.g. flat dc, sentient, DG, ect), what form was it (perhaps some general choices like human, animal, mythical creature, etc; not a fully formed idea at the moment), general personality, and perhaps the option for including a picture.
* Ability to map individual dreamscapes and export them to picture files. I am thinking something like a SVG editing program here. That would possibly be the best for the job.
* Ability to automatically post a dream from your journal to an online journal (at LD4all, for example).

This isn't everything, but those are the big things. Most of them are not difficult to implement, but for me, they allow interaction with the dream in a more meaningful way outside of the dream. Most dream journals are dream oriented, but for me, DC are much more important than dream plot, so I pay attention to DC tracking features in a journaling system more than dream logging. It is this that originally spurred my desire to code my own DJ. (I do like your dream classification dropdown, though. I like the idea of giving credence to things as small as daydreams and small thoughts, being a big daydreamer myself.)

As for your play/stop, it appeared, at least at first, that it was just pausing it and not stopping it, or at least that it wasn't resetting it when it stopped. I don't know exactly, but I will be trying it out more tonight.

IAmCoder
The First Lightbender
Novice dreamer

Thanks for all the ideas! I think auto-posting to LD4all should be the quickest for me to implement - stay tuned...

Your DC oriented view is interesting and has started turning some gears. I have always felt that emotions are the key to dreams: what was the main feeling in a dream + when last did you feel that in waking = meaning.

I was hoping someone would appreciate the ability to track thoughts and daydreams! What language do you code in?

wolvendeer
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Scribes

IAmCoder wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas! I think auto-posting to LD4all should be the quickest for me to implement - stay tuned...

Awesome ^^

IAmCoder wrote:

Your DC oriented view is interesting and has started turning some gears. I have always felt that emotions are the key to dreams: what was the main feeling in a dream + when last did you feel that in waking = meaning.

I liked your emotion based tracking as well. Emotions are very important in dreaming.

IAmCoder wrote:

I was hoping someone would appreciate the ability to track thoughts and daydreams! What language do you code in?

My favorite language is Tcl, but I am learning C# for this project because I want to test out .Net and release cross platform software for the Mono framework. Much as I hate to admit it, Visual Studio 2010 has to be one of the best IDEs I have used as far as ease of coding goes. Now, I code in Batch, AHK, and VBA at work, but I don't really count those because those are just what I use for work.

Y4ZT
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: <10

After my first dream no words are showing in the "Unassigned" box. The words i allready have assigned do apear in the other boxes. im just unable to add new ones non-manualy.

I think this program is very usefull and i enjoy using it, my problem may just be a user error. Im also running windows 7, i noticed some concern with 7 in previous posts.

Current LD goal(s): Do the quest of the month, not fail at flying...agian....agian
IAmCoder
The First Lightbender
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Nuevefactorial wrote:
But I have been having a little problem: sometimes, after I write down a dream and I click on "save", I get an error message like this one:
Quote:
Cannot add or insert the item 'Coca-Cola' in more than one place. You must first remove it from its current location or clone it.
Parameter name: item

What does it mean?

This should be fixed in the latest version (3.1.1)!

wolvendeer wrote:
I am learning C# for this project because I want to test out .Net and release cross platform software for the Mono framework.

I have been writing in C# for most of my career - definitely has everything you could ever want. And there seems to be a steady demand for it.

Y4ZT wrote:
After my first dream no words are showing in the "Unassigned" box. The words i allready have assigned do apear in the other boxes. im just unable to add new ones non-manualy.

The unassigned list currently only lists words with 6 or more letters, e.g.: "12345" will not appear, but "123456" should?

Y4ZT
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: <10

PostPosted: Mon 09 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Oh, i remember reading that on a previous page. Just a bummer because my biggest dream signs are water and my brother "David" lol both 5 letters. Thank you for the quick feed back ill try to use some larger words when recording my dreams. Realy like what your program does smile thanks for making it.

Current LD goal(s): Do the quest of the month, not fail at flying...agian....agian
OddDreamingDreamer
Some odd rank
Somniologist
LD count: 2 MILD 4 DILD

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Well, regardless, I like your software, tough it was horribly unstable when I had it (by february or march I think) I'm trying it today, so I'll let you know if it works (and great at it) or if it leaves a crater where my laptop was ;D

Current LD goal(s): achieving a steady sleep schedule, then getting proper dream recall
IAmCoder
The First Lightbender
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 26 May, 2011  Reply with quote

And, did you find anything wanting? I will release an update again soon...

wolvendeer
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Scribes

PostPosted: Sat 24 Sep, 2011  Reply with quote

Since it looks like your software is .Net anyway, is there any chance you could take MoMA to it and see if it is compatible with mono? If it is, you could just release it and have it run on mono for Mac/Linux instead of having people run the software through Wine.

IAmCoder
The First Lightbender
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Mon 26 Sep, 2011  Reply with quote

Thank you, that does sound very promising. I will run a scan soon and let you know what it says.

print