Lucid dreams, but no control???

In my lucid dreams, I become aware of my being asleep by the very vividness of the dream. When I am going to have a lucid dream, rather than waking up several times during the night, I have one long dream laid with random stories and I remain asleep the entire time. When I become lucid, I am normally in a run-of-the-mill vague dream, and then, suddenly trip and fall on my face. As I pick myself back up again, I find that the world around me is much more clear and my perception of it much more sharp.

At this time, I immediately think one thing, “Oh! It was just a dream.” And so I don’t have to practice the reality checks when I’m awake because I am faced with the conflict by default. Immediately I begin to question, and the very emotional state I feel causes me to conclude that either one, I am having a fantastically realistic dream or two, I am in fact awake and have gone insane by the fact that I am questioning whether or not I am really awake.

Sooner or later I conclude (and I don’t know why) that I am dreaming, and at that moment I can feel how much time I have left in the dream and understand how much time I have before it begins to become more and more vague.

This is when, of course, I wish to manipulate my dreamworld (to play God). But most often, especially in dreams that are indiscernible from reality, I find myself unable to do anything more than I could in reality. In my lucid dreams, when I attempt to control my surroundings, the act of doing so invariably leads me to shout it into the air and thrust my hands about like I am some kind of God - but in the end more like a fool.

Nothing happens. I can’t fly, I can’t crush the buildings in the distance with my hand, I can’t force people to do my bidding (or at least have them talk to me) and I end up wandering about the world studying it rather than having fun with it. As a matter of fact, I can only do the things I EXPECT to do in lucid dreams in vague dreams, the type where you kind of just flow along with the disjointed story-line your mind is whipping together in real-time.

Does anyone else have similar difficulties? Does anyone have hints or tips? Why does my mind (which is essentially me) weave together a world over which I wield no power? What is THAT all about?

Moved from General Lucidness :dragon:

When I had my first LD i tried to walk through a mirror, but when i touched it it was just real and hard like a real mirror. And what really frustrated me was that one of my DC’s (I don’t even know who he was, just some random indian guy) just looked at me ans stepped right through it. But i did use the floor as a trampoline haha, so I guess it’s just about practice and expectations :smile: If you’re expecting or fearing that you won’t be able to do anything “special” maybe it comes true.

Even though you feel like you don’t need to do RC do them, because you won’t do them in dreams either, just like you said… Doing RC in WL you get habit of doing them in dreams, and when you do them it will bring you more confidence then usual… When you figure that you see 6 or 7 fingers or that you can breath trough pinched nose this will get things more clearer, by that I mean more vividness and realization that you can do much more things then in WL…

Like lisa said believing is a very important thing as like mindset… If you have a goal that you crush a building in your next LD and if you are 100% sure that you can do that with your mind (in dream of course) then your chances to succeed are much greater… Then comes the part where you need to practice things while lucid, maybe for the first time you won’t remember to crush building or you won’t be able to, but if you remember to crushed it, it’s already a big step…

Hope this helps, good luck!

Though I have not tried the nose pinching and such, I am positive that I am dreaming when I am lucid because many other things give it away, e.g. each time I blink, the scene changes fractionally, landscapes suddenly alter, and when I lay on the ground I can feel my body in bed.

It isn’t like I feel above RC’s or something, but I don’t like to induce LDs (by methodically gaining awareness) in some strange fear that doing so may affect the content. I have my cycle and trust it.

As for believing, at the time it feels greater than just believing, it’s simply a fact in my mind that I have control and it takes quite a few failures before I quit. This may also have to do with me individually. Ever since I was very young I have had difficulties controlling the content of my thoughts. I remember I would imagine a thing, let’s say a person, and that person would turn into a robot, and I couldn’t change the robot back in my mind. To do so would be a strenuous and continued effort, comparable to a physically exhausting task.

This still happens, and the struggle has at times manifested itself in voices and unpredictable alter-egos.

The only time I controlled the content of a dream took much effort, and everything I willed into existence would break down, collapse or fall apart, and to do even that I would have to be in a very ‘high’ like state, where I felt much more in touch with my subconscious. This, of course, I don’t know how to induce or trigger.

Maybe it’s just me, and I wouldn’t mind it. As a matter of fact, I like to have little to do with the making of my dreams (allow the subconscious landscape to remain untainted by my conscious awareness) and simply explore them in search of lost information stored in the recesses of my mind.

Though at other times, to do want some control, to call to the dream world the very things I’m searching for, but I never know when I will have control or how much control I will have.

When I first started lucid dreaming practices, me and my, then, girlfriend (now wife), were all about it and dove in head first. We did all of the daily reality checks, we kept dream journals, we discussed our dreams, and we consumed every piece of literature on lucid dreaming, dreaming, meditations, and sleeping practices that we could get our hands on. I was having lucid dreams within the first month and I had, what I felt to be, unusual confidence in my control over those dreams where I became lucid. I flew at will, hovered meditatively, transformed my surroundings. It was great.

Life happens, though, and like so many healthy practices, we let circumstances get in the way of our lucid dreaming practices which were, for us, waking life practices of awareness and self-control through light meditation. I had one last lucid dream that year before moving out of Fairbanks which turned out to be prophetic. The dream basically lined out how I would fall away from these practices, become weaker through lack of exercise, start working as a tech, and it even showed me my father buying me a white car as a means of conveyance to and from work. All of it came to pass up to and including the white car which I had no say in because it was just happenstance. It was just there, one day, and it was the last thing of that dream to come true, I realize now, looking back.

Well, as anyone who has gone so far into self-discovery and lucid dreaming can probably attest to, losing the lucid dreaming practice feels a lot like losing a part of yourself and I have long regretted it and feel lessened, somehow. Like all such things which take effort, however, I keep meaning to get back into it, trying to work up the internal strength to begin again, but have never really managed to do more than think about it a lot, which is something. I don’t do the reality checks, I don’t keep a dream journal, though I did place it next to my side of the bed, and I don’t practice the nightly mantras aimed at developing my dreaming awareness. I do think about it a lot, though, and with longing. As such, once in a great while and despite not practicing anything to do with lucid dreaming, I do have a lucid dream. These days, though, those moments are a bit frustrating because I do not appear to have ANY control over anything and it makes me feel bad like I am less myself than I once was.

Last night, I had one such lucid dream where I was elected President of the US and I was running away, with my wife and newborn son, to live in Canada instead. A lot of things happened and it was a pretty long dream (they usually are for me) so I will spare you the finer details and skip to the part where I became lucid.

We found a place to live in this poor housing unit filled with people in their separate rooms. Our room was at the end of a long, unlit hallway, and even though it was on the same level as all of the other rooms, it appeared as a loft with vaulted ceiling and a single room with a shared bathroom which had timers for all of its functions like lighting and the fan and water. The bed was too small for two people so I gave it to my wife and I took to the floor. As we were settling in to sleep, I realized that Johan, our newborn son, wasn’t with us and hadn’t been for some time nor could I remember when we had last had him with us. This triggered my awareness that it HAD to be a dream because we would NEVER leave Johan behind for any reason and I knew that like I know I am me.

I said I was dreaming out loud and then looked at my hands which weren’t incredibly screwy, but they were a bit skewed which was enough for me to know that it was a dream. The normal excitement I feel when becoming lucid filled me for a moment and almost woke me up which took the form of me falling asleep in the dream or at least starting to close my eyes, but I managed to recover and stay in the dream. I got up to test the other dream signs starting with jumping to try to fly because that is one of my absolute favorite things to do when I am lucid, but it failed, I just landed normally like I do when I jump in real life. That bummed me out a bit and I began to question my assertions that I was dreaming so I walked over to the mirror hanging on our door and looked into it. I was there, staring back at myself, looking tired, so I tried to put my hand through it, slowly, but it was cold and solid. I decided to try to command the mirror and so I said to it, “Show me the truth.” and my image vanished from the mirror. Then I found myself standing beside the mirror instead of in front of it which was also weird so I walked back in front of it and found my image to be changed. I looked a bit older and my hair was very short. This was a bit confusing for me so, in an attempt to further prove that I was dreaming, I wandered into the bathroom, fumbled with the timer knobs for the fan and the lights, but managed to turn everything on. I tried putting my hand through the glass window in the bathroom overlooking the city from above, but it too was cold and hard and did not permit my hand to pass through. I tried jumping again. Nothing. I didn’t feel confident about my abilities, I should mention, I felt a bit guilty for my ways and lack of self-control. I also felt guilty for having drunk too much wine that night and felt like it was probably interfering with my dreaming. I don’t really know, I only mention those things in case they may resonate with your own inner circumstances.

As I was doing this, my wife walked into the bathroom and asked me what I was doing. I excitedly explained to her that I was having a lucid dream and how I knew I was dreaming, Johan was missing. She got wide-eyed and asked me if I was sure and I said, “Of course! I KNOW I am dreaming, I have no doubt, but I can’t seem to take control and most of the dream signs aren’t working. Try some for yourself.” She began feeling excited and worked at realizing it herself. I eventually lost my lucidity as the dream progressed, as we so often do, being drawn back into the narrative of the dream.

I awoke with mixed emotions. Glad to have been lucid, but bummed out that I had so little control.

Talking to my wife this morning as I showered, she revealed that she too had become lucid without having any real control and that it happened in our bathroom concerning our son, Johan. She had been getting ready to shower and had turned the water on when she heard Johan start to cry and she thought, “Who put my son in the shower?!”
It was then that she realized it had been a recurring dream circumstance and became aware that she was dreaming. She sat with it for awhile and, eventually, lost her lucidity as well. The synchronicity of our two lucid dreams was not lost on me and I have been thinking about it all morning.

Thing is, I’m not mystified by any of this, I know why my dreams are like this now. My life is filled with stress which is something that we perceive and manifest and is not necessarily real, but it is powerful, nonetheless. I drink a bit too much, though I am not an alcoholic as I go without it for days, often, but I do tend to over-indulge, these days. I no longer practice all of the healthy, life-affirming, habits that first brought us to lucid dreaming, and I feel negative a lot of the time because Trump exists, education has been dismantled and extremists have convinced the uneducated that they are not the government and that the government is the bad guy in all of this misery, and I see that those things are what is leading to Trumps rise, and I now fear for the life and safety of my family if he grabs the reigns of this country. It may seem stupid, but that is what is bothering me the most, along with natural dangers on the rise due to global warming. The thing is, my anger and fear isn’t doing anything about it and I know that I should just step back and cleanse myself of this garbage, but it is hard, you know? I want my son to be happy and to have a chance.

Anyway, the only thing that is in my control is how I choose to see the world and my place in it and I have let myself grow too sour and bitter. I know that if I turn from that and return to a balanced and positive life, my dreams will return. It won’t fix the world outside of me, but it will heal my inner world. Easier said than done, of course.

So that is the story of my dreams and their connection to my waking life. I hope that it is useful to someone struggling with, maybe, the same or similar circumstances. I realize now that my dreaming life is about as important to me as my waking life. Either one out of balance leaves me feeling weak, out of control, and unhappy. It’s a never ending journey. I am, at current, in a dark wood, but I will find my way out.

Good luck to all of you!

I can certainly agree that stress affects my lucid dreaming too. I worry about life, money, university, my sister, women in general. So much to worry about. The random lucid dreams I get are horrible, because I can’t calm down in them. I have a goal in mind and I try to hurry and get it done, but doubt and fear have been blocking me from doing so for 3 years.

Thanks for sharing Khombhat.

Not exactly on topic, but I too had a brief period (few months) in which I was in a heavy dry spell, I stupidly thought that after few months of LDs I had tried everything.
And I too had the feeling my life was not complete, I was truly missing an important part of my life. I started to work back on it and during the last 6 months I have been practicing regularly. I have to say that this site (LC especially) has been a great inspiration for me.
Follow your wishes, come back among us Lucid Dreamers :content:

To the OP, I find my Dream Powers are so much greater in dreams I start lucid directly (WILD) than in dreams I become lucid in (DILD).
In WILDs I also have better recall, longer duration, etc.
Perhaps try WILD, maybe have a look at my topic in Quest for Lucidity (it explains the WILD variation I use)

Happy Lucids !