EN \ NL \ FR
Current Wings Quest 124
The Spirit of Giving XIII
print ShareShare 

Memory, Brain - Visiting locations

Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
Memory, Brain - Visiting locations
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

Ok what interests me: You have LD and you want to visit some place, where you have never been. For example... Paris or New York or just plainly some place...
And if you do then how it is possible? Because your brain can create only things that knows from memories - and remember you have never been there. whatsthat Interesting isn't it? Opinions? grin



Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming


Last edited by Dark Stranger on Thu 28 Jul, 2011; edited 1 time in total
back to top
dB_FTS
Traveler
cookie lover
dB_FTS has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
28
Posts: 2004
Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Last Visit: 21 Oct 2018
LD count: 118
Location: Croatia
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

I assume that if you know for the place called Paris or New York that you know something about it, maybe never been there but you may know facts like Paris is one of the most romantic cities or that it's very popular because of Eiffel Tower...

We maybe don't have actual memory of feeling or sight of a place but if we know something about a place whether is consciously or unconsciously brain can reconstruct a place, and gave you a feeling that you visit a Paris, even though with more analyzing a dream you may noticed that this wasn't actual Paris but just an impression...

That's my idea of your question, but maybe I'm completely wrong... ^^



Current LD goal(s): #Find/Meet Dream Guide#
back to top
Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
29
Chat Mods
Scribes
Posts: 2978
Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Last Visit: 15 Apr 2018
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

dB_FTS is right, excluding any other more spiritual reasons of course. You know what Paris looks like. If you imagine it, you can see. You've seen pictures, movies and all sorts of other things that have Paris in it. Your mind reconstructs these areas based on what you think it should look like. Of course it won't be completely accurate, but it's still pretty darn fun tounge2


Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
back to top
wolvendeer
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
29
Scribes
Posts: 370
Joined: 19 May 2007
Last Visit: 26 Dec 2017
LD count: 23?
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

From my knowledge of how things work in dreams, your SC will probably take anything it knows about the place and reconstruct it using bits and pieces of buildings and people it has seen. So, say for example you are dreaming of New York. Your brain may take the imagery of that postcard, that clip you saw of it on the news, that hotdog vendor outside of the local mall, and some buildings you may have seen in your local city and build them into "New York". If you actually went to NY, you would likely find it to be completely different from what you dreamed.

back to top
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

Well, these are all good ideas. If i never had such experience, they will seem logical for me too. But really such things happens to me. I can say in a dream that i want to visit this or that, where i have never been before and when i go there in RL it is SAME.[/i]


Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming
back to top
dB_FTS
Traveler
cookie lover
dB_FTS has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
28
Posts: 2004
Joined: 01 Oct 2010
Last Visit: 21 Oct 2018
LD count: 118
Location: Croatia
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

I'm not telling that you're not right, but when you can name something or someone you know something about it and that is enough for brain to recreate...


Current LD goal(s): #Find/Meet Dream Guide#
back to top
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

dB_FTS wrote:
I'm not telling that you're not right, but when you can name something or someone you know something about it and that is enough for brain to recreate...



Yes thats good point really. ^^ But unfortunately, that dont answer my question...



Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming
back to top
29
Chat Mods
Posts: 1444
Joined: 06 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 26 Jul 2017
LD count: 13
Location: Hunting...
 
Re: Memory, Brain - Visiting locations
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

cheerfuldreamer wrote:
And if you do then how it is possible? Because your brain can create only things that knows from memories - and remember you have never been there. whatsthat Interesting isn't it? Opinions? grin


I disagree with the assertion your mind can only create things from memories. If you look at the design for a house for example, it had to be created somewhere. There were nothing like houses until people came along and built them. Yes we create largely by mashing together our previous experiences, but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it.

Quote:
Yes thats good point really. ^^ But unfortunately, that dont answer my question...


It sounds a lot like you are seeking a supernatural explanation to your questions. That is very subjective, and not something everyone will agree on. There has been quite extensive research into such topics, yet it remains unproven. Perhaps if you choose to believe such things there is a supernatural explanation, but for some people the answer, 'Due to your mind accurately predicting the environment' is complete and does answer your question for them. Our minds are wonderfully good at noticing subtle patterns and predicting how things would be following that pattern.



Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!
back to top
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
Re: Memory, Brain - Visiting locations
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

GreenDragon wrote:
cheerfuldreamer wrote:
And if you do then how it is possible? Because your brain can create only things that knows from memories - and remember you have never been there. whatsthat Interesting isn't it? Opinions? grin


I disagree with the assertion your mind can only create things from memories. If you look at the design for a house for example, it had to be created somewhere. There were nothing like houses until people came along and built them. Yes we create largely by mashing together our previous experiences, but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it.

Quote:
Yes thats good point really. ^^ But unfortunately, that dont answer my question...


It sounds a lot like you are seeking a supernatural explanation to your questions. That is very subjective, and not something everyone will agree on. There has been quite extensive research into such topics, yet it remains unproven. Perhaps if you choose to believe such things there is a supernatural explanation, but for some people the answer, 'Due to your mind accurately predicting the environment' is complete and does answer your question for them. Our minds are wonderfully good at noticing subtle patterns and predicting how things would be following that pattern.





Ok lets make it clear. I'm not trying to get some astral "supernatural explanation". I just have experience that i cannot explain and asking for corresponding answers. Simple. rolleyes



Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming
back to top
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

Well maybe it can be sort like...when you go to hypnotizer and he will say you "behave like Napoleon" - and you will. Well you dont actually know, how Napoleon behave, but some uncoscious knowledge... Maybe its same in dreams with some location - you dont actually know how it there looks and still maybe unconscious mind knows...Something like collective unconscious or something like that.


Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming
back to top
WASD
Psychonaut
Dream Deity
WASD has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
25
Posts: 548
Joined: 06 Sep 2009
Last Visit: 17 Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
 
Re: Memory, Brain - Visiting locations
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

cheerfuldreamer wrote:
Because your brain can create only things that knows from memories - and remember you have never been there

It will make up what it expects, just as with everything else you do in a dream that you haven't done IRL.


back to top
Dark Stranger
Solipsist
Somniologist
Posts: 129
Joined: 02 Mar 2011
Last Visit: 10 Sep 2011
LD count: LD at Will
Location: Dream
 
PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul, 2011  Reply with quote

WASD wrote:
It will make up what it expects, just as with everything else you do in a dream that you haven't done IRL.


yes but:
cheerfuldreamer wrote:
I can say in a dream that i want to visit this or that, where i have never been before and when i go there in RL it is SAME.


Well thats the whole point....



Current LD goal(s): Mutual Dreaming


Last edited by Dark Stranger on Fri 29 Jul, 2011; edited 1 time in total
back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic
Page 1 of 1


print   ShareShare 

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  

LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~
created and copyright by pasQuale. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB © 2001,2005 phpBB Group ~