Rainbow Connection

Do you feel pain in your dreams?

Author  Message 
Blazewind
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Do you feel pain in your dreams?
PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

I'm curious about other people's experiences with this.

Personally for myself I can't remember ever feeling pain in a dream, strangely enough, though I have been injured numerous times in dream state. I can recall a few strange dreams in which I've been bitten hard by animals (most recently it was a possibly rabid gopher-rabbit looking thing, lol.) Not long ago i had a somewhat vivid dream in which I'd come across a handful of thorns. Getting injured in a dream is always odd to me. I always find myself knowing on some level that it hurts and that I'm supposed to feel something, but I'm also aware of the fact that it doesn't actually hurt. It just feels numb or tingly and heavy and I think it will start to hurt any second. Actually as I type this I realize of course that I should be able to learn to use this kind of situation as a dreamsign for LDing.

I wonder though, are we not able to actually feel pain in dreams at all, or does it just depend on a lot of things?

Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d

Sometimes I do, but it isn't very clear and there are no physical injuries on my dream body.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Faith42
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

My dreams are usually very detailed and vivid. I find that for me, pain is like pain. Especially in LDs. I'm also one of those people who doesn't wake up right before they hit the ground- I just smack it. But I find that for me, pain is very real feeling. One time, I was shot in my upper thigh. It hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. I was screaming, laying on the floor staring at it when I started to think about what my leg used to look like. Just then, the blood was sucked back into my leg and it healed. I knew that wasn't right- so I became lucid. But anyways, my point is that pain does feel like pain for me- which isn't that great, but especially in LDs, it hurts really bad (like when I was first learning to fly and I'd smack/skid across the ground).

Laretta
Dream Explorer
Somniologist
LD count: Many....

I remember a dream when I escaped from somewhere and jumped off a building - broke my legs and just felt very little pain. When I woke up (immediately after this), I realized that I landed on my feet/legs.

Current LD goal(s): Perform a swan dive (Leap of Faith), fly with a glider (http://bit.ly/Sr55eU)
x Puffycloud x
High in the Sky
Astral Explorer
Scribes
LD count: 6

For me, its not like normal pain. Its more mental than physical, if that makes sense. Usually I wake up before I'm hurt, but if I am hurt then I know I should be in pain, therefore I act like I am in pain.

Current LD goal(s): Increase length, talk to my subconcious.
BlueGecko
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: Crud.JustSay0
Location: A place called *reads card* "North Aw-mur-EE-kuh." I don't know.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

My dreams don't often make a lot of sense in context with anything, but I do remember a dream where I jumped off a wall and I actually felt it somewhat realistically when I hit the ground. Of course, when that happened, I also did a rather unrealistic roll like in a 3D Legend of Zelda game. Realism like that only goes so far in my dreams, I guess tounge1

Current LD goal(s): Have a stable one.
chambered_nautilus
byline worm
Dream Deity
LD count: quite a few

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

I don't normally feel pain even when realistically I should, but it does happen occasionally. The weird thing about it is that my brain doesn't seem concerned with making the pain match up with what caused it, like being hit vs. being cut vs. being burned. A lot of the time it seems to go "This should hurt, what is the worst pain? Burning is the worst pain." So regardless of what's actually happening, it feels like being burned. And without reality to limit what level of pain is actually possible, this can be quite unpleasant. Fortunately it's pretty infrequent.

Paulius
Carbon-based lifeform
Dream Deity
LD count: 31

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Personally, I don't feel pain in any dreams. In LD's as well, unless I really want to and try to actually FEEL the pain.

Current LD goal(s): Have a lightsaber duel with a DC.
Zan
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug, 2012  Reply with quote

I rarely/never feel pain in dream, even when things that would be painful happens.

For example, in one dream an elephant stomped on my foot. Didn't hurt or damage me at all.

Current LD goal(s): Trying to get more LDs, making the LD last longer
Fate
Solitary
Dream Deity
Wolfgame
LD count: 16

In normal dreams when I am being hurt, I feel a sensation that is not pain, but I interpret that sensation as pain so I squirm all the same. (Dunno how if that makes sense to you or not)

The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

Nope, never did. I only see (badly) and sort of hear (communication is almost telepathic). Almost no touch, and absolutely no smells or tastes at all.

Troober
The Insomniac
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 12 Aug, 2012  Reply with quote

I don't recall feeling pain in dreams. It's more a thing of I'm aware of the sensation of pain without actually feeling pain. Like if I get shot in the arm, I'll know it's happened and feel that it's happened, but it wont actually hurt.

It's a good thing though I don't, because I've been hurt in quite a few dreams lol. I remember one where I fell backwards off a bridge onto a shallow river and smashed into the rocks and died staring upwards. That would have hurt a lot if I had felt pain nervous

DerekDudage
The Philosopher
Novice dreamer

I very frequently feel pain in my dreams. For instance, I had a dream not even a week ago where I was being stabbed repeatedly in my lower abdomen. I could feel every single entry and exit of the knife. The pain was so intense. Like nothing I had ever felt before (outside of a dream). In the dream I passed out and woke up again in the hospital. I was all bandaged up but I still felt pain, almost like a severe, constant stomach cramp. I've also been shot and have drowned in my dreams, amongst many other deaths, and it has all felt VERY real. I guess I'm just one of the unfortunate one's. At least I know to try my best to avoid it in real life. Haha.

Current LD goal(s): Recall More Dreams, Visit the "Heavens"
Cornelia Xaos
cookie lover
cookie lover
Cornelia Xaos has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: 377—19/10/07
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's got a blue background with stars, and it's a forum...

I've felt pain before, but usually it's much dulled or a numbly sensation. I think one time or another though I've felt pain that was actually pretty realistic. Most of the time though, it's dull.

Current LD goal(s): Summon Lynn for a Tea Party.

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Last night I felt what was probably the strongest pain I've had in a dream (although it was still a bit "dream pain", slightly numbed). The nail on my big toe was cracked in half and whenever I moved my foot the two pieces would twist against each other causing the pain. I could barely walk! overspannen

print