EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 129
Pause Time

Sleep Paralysis and ghosts >.>

Author  Message 
iyotakanji

Sleep Paralysis and ghosts >.>
PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

So ive been watching a lot of the channel GREEN and they have a lot of ghost shows and one of them always bothers me...Celebrity Ghost storys. The worst part about this show is 90% of the paranormal activity is EXTREMELY close to sleep paralysis induced hallucinations... They all start off with the celebrity laying in bed not being able to move because of the "ghost" which is always an unseen presence or a heavyness on the chest. They also say they cant move and see ghostly figures staring at them when they wake up in the middle of the night probably during REM sleep. Im not downing ghosts or the paranormal because I do believe in it and I have experienced it plenty of times but theres a lot of people that have no clue what sleep paralysis is. My aunt claims a demon wakes her up at night and makes it hard for her to breathe and she cant move, i quickly told her about SP and how to combat it and since then she has now realized that it was all in her head and now no longer believes her house is haunted..this is just my opinion but it seems like a lot of these people in ghost shows are experiencing the completely natural and non paranormal activity also known as SP induced Hallucinations XD what do you think?

Leijona
long time lurker
Astral Explorer
Leijona has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 90

I've never experienced anything scary while in SP or doing WILD. That thing about demons or ghosts etc is called "Old Hag" if I remember correctly...Problem is that a lot of people seem to hear about scary stuff happening during SP even before they really know what LDing is about and that scares them a lot. They forget that SP is natural, it can't harm you, it doesn't need to be scary at all and there are multiple easy ways to snap out of it. smile

Current LD goal(s): visit an abandoned place
dreamosis
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
LD count: 100+

Sleep paralysis hallucinations explains some, but not all, paranormal experiences. I do think it's clumsy of a paranormal TV show to feature a person who had their "ghost" experience while close to sleep and not to address the possibility that the experience was SP, or a dream.

I have had several SP nightmares. I've seen dead bodies floating over my bed. I've had a decapitated head screaming at me. I've had a serpent breathe fire on me and singe my flesh (I actually felt pain). I've had a melted floating demon head follow me around through a FA after an SP episode. I've had ghosts in period clothes trying to claw their way into my body (also painful). As I child, I had an SP episode in which snakes crept over my whole bedroom.

My experiences have scared the crap out of me.

I've had a couple of experiences where the "hallucination" didn't stop after I woke up. After one nightmarish LD, I woke up and could feel something hitting me. I was completely awake, eyes open, sitting up. The strikes weren't painful, really; it was like puffs of compressed air hitting me in the chest for about a minute or so after I sat up.

It's difficult to effectively assess what's happening in you and around you after a terrifying SP episode. Usually my heart is speeding and I have adrenaline in every cell. Yes, when I've woken up, I've felt like "something is in the room," but maybe it's only my fear compounded by the fact that, before my body woke up, I was lucid and aware. Regardless of whether my tormentors are objectively real or not, I saw and heard and felt them.

I've learned to take these experiences in stride, for the most part. About a month ago I had a lucid nightmare where I was flying away from my house, so happy to explore, when I suddenly found myself in a hallway with a copy of myself who was holding me down and stabbing me with a screwdriver. Instead of freaking out, or fighting back, I mentally calmed myself and tried to be open to what was happening--to learn from the experience. I apologized to this aspect of myself. Well, it was painful. He didn't accept my apology. It went on for about thirty seconds. I tried to hang in with it, but it was all too real and uncomfortable (I was pinned down) and I had to wake myself up.

I know I'm not alone. A lot of people have had many lucid nightmares and bad SP experiences. It's not a failure, I think. In my case, I'm rather sure that a few aspects of my subconscious hate me. This last experience was specifically telling because, usually when I accept an experience or apologize, the tense situation resolves. But not so that time.

Anyway, in closing, yes, I think a lot of "paranormal" phenonema is self-generated. But even when it's self-generated, and you know it is, you can't always control the situation. The mind is vast and complex.

Current LD goal(s): Finding specific people at will.
Frequent
Class 2 Lucid Dreamer
Somniologist
LD count: 26

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

God dammit, dreamosis WHY do you open your eyes when you have an sp?!

Current LD goal(s): Eat apple pie , spray web like spiderman
Kache
Brownie Eater
Somniologist
LD count: 10

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Frequent wrote:
God dammit, dreamosis WHY do you open your eyes when you have an sp?!

I often open my eyes in SP. Many times, it just happens without me noticing. Sometimes Um just curious.

Current LD goal(s): Have an adventure, have a conversation with DCs
dreamosis
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Not all of my SP experiences have been negative. I've had many open-eyed SP experiences where I simply saw my bedroom or the edge of the bed.

I once became lucid during an SP experience in which it felt like invisible beings were standing all around me and channeling positive energy into me. I wasn't scared at all, but at peace. Another time I became aware and felt an influx of pleasurable energy into the top of my head and suddenly found myself flying over a river. Last, there was once where I went lucid during SP when shadows were thrashing at my body. I became lucid as I mentally cried out for a guide, or someone, to help me. I heard a voice say, "You're your own guide," and as the voice said I felt so empowered. The shadows evaporated and woke up from SP feeling quite encouraged.

So I've had positive experiences mixed with the bad.

iyotakanji

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Well this isnt about just experiences with sleep paralysis i want to hear peoples opinion on the fact that all those people say its ghosts but its more then often probably HP

dreamosis
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

You want those who agree with you to post that they agree with you? smile

When a person is actually in the SP state (body paralyzed with the mind awake), they can hallucinate or dream--or they can simply lie there, experiencing nothing but a paralyzed body.

If the person panics, and they're dreaming, probably he will have a bad dream. Again, though, the person might not panic at all, and have some positive experience.

The trouble is, if ghosts exist, and it's possible for us to communicate with them in a relaxed state like SP, how do we distinguish between hallucinations/dreams and a real experience?

If you already believe that ghosts don't exist, then of course it's only an extension of your belief system to say that SP experiences of ghosts are illusory.

The only way to know for sure, perhaps, is to experiment--to purposefully induce SP, talk to a being (or hallucination), and try to extract information that you can confirm while fully awake. If you're unable to confirm anything, all you've lost is a little time to relaxing and lucid dreaming.

KimokaJane
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 15

iyotakanji wrote:
Well this isnt about just experiences with sleep paralysis i want to hear peoples opinion on the fact that all those people say its ghosts but its more then often probably HP

I'm not totally convinced that SP hallucinations and/or ghosts are ALL due to one's imagination. I think when in between sleep and waking, the usual barrier that keeps most people from consciously being aware of spirits and the like is lowered so one may be more likely to see real ghosties when trying to sleep (or being awakened during sleep).

Maybe some of these hauntings could be attributed to HH , but I don't know if anyone can really determine the percentage.

AJ
.:Destined Dreamer:.
Astral Explorer
LD count: .20-30+

It's funny, lots of people are scared of the "Old Hag" or, the incubus or succubus and they wake up in the middle of the night when the incubus/succubus are on them. It's pretty much a myth, and it's just SP or even just a FA.

Current LD goal(s): Meet my Spirit Guide
Chaotic
Do a Reality Check!
Novice dreamer
LD count: Sadly, None

I think it's just utterly crazy they believe in ghosts.

It's not logical.

Current LD goal(s): Get my first LD
Soul7
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Chaotic, I must agree with you that it is illogical, but then again, don't you think that something illogical is just another aspect of Science that we don't understand ?

Current LD goal(s): FUS RO DAH
Anzelthur
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

That's very gullible of them, it must be because the celebrities, right? Thinking, "We'll make more money than usual, why not?"

I've only had a good experience with SP so far, hope to keep it that way.

iyotakanji

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

im not saying ghosts don't exist because there is a lot of evidence of really unexplained activity, But I can say that ive heard stories from countless family relatives that theyve had encounters with ghosts but everytime they did have a freak experience it would be as they were waking up or they would just be sitting there in the bed and all of a sudden a ghost or a demon and even for me the lady from the grudge! Actually a few times ive been trying the WILD method and experienced extremely frightening HH that seemed like they were ghosts or shadow figures and things from horror films. But I knew I was doing a WILD and this was just the exciting part of it ^.^ and successfully LD'd but they show just makes me laugh.

Chat Mods
LD count: 13

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012  Reply with quote

Chaotic wrote:
I think it's just utterly crazy they believe in ghosts.

It's not logical.

To be fair its not 'logical' to say anything other than I've not seen valid evidence within the scientific sphere, therefore with the absence of evidence I choose not to believe there are ghosts, They aren't real to me. Saying you think it's utterly crazy to believe in them, makes you come across as bigoted.

I do have to say that I'm not sure I agree about being close to sleep causing the barrier between worlds to become weakened. It's been too well demonstrated that in such a state we are highly suggestible and ungrounded to reality. The visions also seem to be strongly manipulated by expectation, bad and good. I don't reject the prospect of spirits, but I simply find it hard to accept that what we see on the border of wake and sleep is anything other than our mind wandering and drifting. I don't see any reason to believe that state of mind is innately more 'spiritually connected' etc than at any other time.

Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!

print