Lucidity Challenge 36: Winner- HeadInTheClouds! Congrats!

Previous Challenges

LC I - TM and initiator: Ian1 - winner: -=JaSoN=-
LC II - TM: Magnus - winner: Q
LC III - TM: Q - winner: Bravsein
LC IV - TM: Bravsein - winner: WritersCube
LC V - TM: WritersCube - winner: dimsya
LC VI - TM: dimsya - winner: Queen SD
LC VII - TM: Ysim - winner: Mugiwara
LC VIII - TM: Mugiwara - winner: Ysim
LC IX - TM: Ysim - winner: Tundra
LC X -TM: Tundra - winner: ebil shrimp
LC 11 -TM: Ebil shrimp - winner: Tundra
LC 12 - TM: HebrewB - winner: mattiasdavis
LC 13 - TM: Blue&White - winner: relV
LC 14 - TM: relV - winner: GHOSTIE11
LC 15 - TM: GHOSTIE11 - winner: unknownuser33
LC 16 - TM: Danielns13 - winner: rkr7
LC 17 - TM: Angelmouse - winner: pasQuale
LC 18 - TM: Magnus - winner: Amaryllis
LC 19 - TM: Amaryllis - winner: Dryalantha
LC 20 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Shadow Dreamer and Amaryllis
LC 21 - TM: Dryalantha - winner: Undecided (but probably Wyvern)
LC 22 - TM: Danilens 13 - winner: tosxyChor
LC 23 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Wyvern
LC 24 - TM: Wyvern - winner: tosxyChor
LC 25 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Solaris
LC 26 - TM: Solaris - winner: Rhewin
LC 27 - TM: tosxyChor - winner: Rhewin
LC 28 - TM: Rhewin - winner: Siiw
LC 29 – TM: Siiw – winner: Rhewin
LC 30 – TM: Puce – winner: Wega
LC 31 - TM: Mimmo0 - winner: Limitles
LC 32 - TM: Limitles - winner: Nicklebrick
LC 33 - TM: Nicklebrick - winner: elnaureth
LC 34 - TM: elnaureth- winner: DreamSailor
LC 35- TM: Ysim- winner: Koharo

Welcome to LC #36! I, Rhewin will be your glorious and merciful taskmaster this round. We’ll be stepping up the pace a little this time and it’s my goal to make sure we actually finish :razz:

The Lucidity Challenge (or LC) has been with the forum for more than 5 years. It’s changed and grown over time but its original intention has always stayed the same. The LC is a way to help challenge and motivate people in their lucid dreams. It’s not only a contest between each other, but also with yourself.

Above all, this is for fun. If you’ve never tried the LC before, give it a try. Go out there and enjoy yourselves!

The following are the rules. Don’t worry if it looks confusing, it’s all for me to worry about. Any changes from the last LC are in red. Main additions include bringing back points for longest personal LD, tweaking points for people who have not had a lucid dream and a change to the personal task system.

LD Points

You get these just for having an LD! You do not have to complete a task to get these, so post any and every lucid experience!

Points awarded for each dream:

• You wonder if you’re dreaming. + 5pts
  • You become lucid but wake up shortly after or lose lucidity very quickly (generally 30 seconds or less for most dreamers). + 10pts
  • Short LD: You have whatever you would consider to be short according to typical LD’s you’ve had in the past. + 20pts
  • Medium/Average LD: You have what you would consider a medium length LD. This should be the average length of most of your dreams up to this point. + 30pts
  • Long LD: You have what you would consider a long LD. [color=green]+ 40pts
  • [/color]Longest Dream: You break your personal record for longest LD (see details for new dreamers below). + 50pts

Everybody is to provide an average length on signup (unless you have never had an LD before), and point calculating will be done accordingly.

For those who have never had a lucid dream before, anything from 30 seconds to 1 minute will count short; 1-5 minutes medium; 5+ minutes will be considered long. You will not be eligible for “longest LD” points until after your first long LD

A dream is considered a single one until you get out of bed and/or write down your dreams. (That means chaining/DEILD will all count as one dream)

If you have your first lucid dream while the Challenge is running you will get +75 points!

If you become lucid through a technique you never succeeded with before, I will also award +50 bonus points to you. If you’re about to try a new technique, or are simply new to lucid dreaming and want to find out which technique suits you best, this is your chance. However, these extra points are not awarded for your first ever lucid dream. (Please be clear about this when you report your dream, because I don’t want an extra entry in the signup form for each technique succeeded with so far.)

As you can see, this scoring system is very subjective. This is because different people have different average lengths for lucid dreams. What one person may consider short (5 minutes) may be someone else’s medium, and so on. This is so people can work on improving their own personal bests. It encourages the more advanced LD’ers to work hard too. To help you get a definite idea of what your usual duration is, you must post your average (or medium) LD time when you sign up.

Chaining and regaining lucidity: Every time you chain or get back your lucidity from having lost it, you are awarded 5 points. However, the new LD is counted as a continuation of the previous one; so, for example, you can have a medium LD, then chain and raise the LD score to that of a long one.

Task Points

These are the points you are awarded for attempting, and completing, the various tasks. You do not have to be lucid to complete a task, but you will earn the most points while lucid. Each task will have different ways of rewarding points, and they will be explained as each task is posted.

You will earn points for completing the tasks as they are set, but you might earn more points if you do it in your personal style or as part of achieving one of your own goals. I can also award bonus points for outstanding creativity or spectacular solutions, but no more than 10 points per night and person.

Any task can be attempted any number of times; however, the scores are not cumulative among the same task. Only the best score is awarded for each one. (Example: You earn 50 points on first attempt but only 20 on the second. You will only earn points from the first.)

For each task, the following bonuses can be awarded:
+30 lucid points (for any task accomplished while lucid; this is separate from LD points)
+20 combo points (for completing two previously untried tasks in the same dream; if you already collected points for a task it is no longer eligible for the combo points)
+20 early points (for completing the last task active when you go to sleep)
+10 creativity points (for using creative solutions in your LDs)

Base idea for awarding points in each task:
Generally, points for each task will be assigned as follows:

1. Completing the basic task. (30-50 pts)
  2. Completing secondary tasks. (10-50 pts)
  3. Points earned per action or variation. (5-20 pts per tick)

Note, there can be exceptions to the formula above depending on the task.

Quest Points

The monthly Quest counts as a task, and awards 50 points for completion.

Personal Goal/Task

When you sign up, also give your personal task(s). That is, a task that is one of your goals for LD’ing. I will award up to 100 points in total per person for completing your tasks.

You can complete addition personal tasks after the first for +25 pts each but you must approve them through the TM first.

Be careful, personal goals and average LD lengths cannot be changed while the challenge runs.

Deadlines and Calculation

Challenges will last 7 days each. I may announce extensions at any time based on extenuating circumstances.

If you have any questions about deadlines, please PM me.

You have two options for the point calculation process:
You either write whole dreams here or post a link to your online DJ.
Or you can just specify which basic task and secondary tasks and repetitions you completed, and your points will be calculated accordingly. However, by doing this, you will lose your chance of getting creativity bonus points.

Don’t worry about the point calculations, I will be calculating all the scores. (It is required, given the possibility of bonus points.)

If you feel I made an error in points, please PM me immediately and I will either explain or correct. We are here to have fun, so if you and I disagree on how many points you have earned, please do not make a scene. If you don’t like how I award points, then win the LC so you can make up your own rules!

As per tradition, the Challenge will be open to up to 20 participants with a minimum of 10. When the minimum amount is reached, the first task will be posted as soon as possible.

I’ll allow signups after the first task is posted, but not if this means we reach more than 20 participants.

Sign-up List [Name, medium length LD, personal task]

1. EllyEve, 5 minutes, interview a DC
  2. Leijona, 3 minutes, go to a “ghost town”
  3. MagykKatte, 5 minutes, time-travel
  4. Thorn, 4 minutes, control a fifth limb
  5. Loah, 10 minutes, interact with mysterious twin sister.
  6. HeadInTheClouds, 3 minutes, Ask my reflection in the mirror “who is the fairest of. them all?”
  7. Dragonmind, 3:00, spawn at least 3 objects
  8. elnaureth, 5 minutes, bring back a musical composition
    9 Nicklebrick, 30 minutes, Find something in a Lucid Dream that does not exist in WL but can be created.
  9. zz, 4 minutes, visit another planet.
  10. DaveTheJoker, 1 minute, talk to a DC about lucid dreaming
  11. fennecgirl, 3 minutes, fly the TARDIS
  12. StarryGwee, 6 mins, ask a DC bout their first memory/or where they came from
  13. drow, 10 minutes, meet elves

It’s been a while! :smile:

Alright, convinced! :happy:

Here’s to Rhewin not encountering some horrible tragedy that prevents him from finishing the LC, as is tradition. Hopefully with the semester out in a month and work slowing down after Christmas, I can devote more time to LDing for this.

10 is a rough guess, as they do last a while, but i have no sense of real time in my LDs. I don’t know how to tell that. I’ll try to judge based on the length relative to my 10 minute guess.

6. HeadInTheClouds, 3 minutes, Ask my reflection in the mirror “who is the fairest of them all?”

If that Lucid task is too easy, I can change it to cloning my reflection from the mirror. As you can tell, I like mirrors in my dreams. It seems to be my natural lucid talent.

I’m testing that maybe I need some competition for motivation.

“Yeah, can’t wait till they patch that invisible hand glitch!”

Hey, hey, hey. If it makes you feel better I’ve hosted 3 other LC’s before and finished all of them :razz:

If we can get just 3 more people by tomorrow night I’ll get things started up. Come on people, even if you’ve never had an LD it’s worth a try :smile:

6. HeadInTheClouds, 3 minutes, Ask my reflection in the mirror “who is the fairest of them all?”
  6. HeadInTheClouds, 3 minutes, Ask my reflection in the mirror “who is the fairest of. them all?”
    9 Nicklebrick, 30 minutes, Find something in a Lucid Dream that does not exist in WL but can be created.

I know I bailed last time, but this time I’m bringin’ it for the real deal!

OK, we hit the magic number! I’ll get the first task up on Wednesday since I don’t want to wait all the way until next Sunday. We still have room for 7 more in the meantime if anyone else is interested.

12. StarryGwee, 6 mins, ask a DC bout their first memory/or where they came from

The first task will be up later tonight, so everyone get ready! To get you guys ready, let me give you a quote from the first LC I hosted :content:

The first task will be up tonight at 05:00 GMT (that’s 5:00am on a twelve hour clock; 12 am EST for those of us in the USA)

13. drow, 10 minutes, meet elves

Alright people, it’s time to get started!

Task 1- Journey to the Center of the Earth!

What is actually beneath our feet? Dirt? Rocks? Layers of magma and an iron core? Or… or is it possible something else is down there?

Now is the time to find out! Your first task is to make your way to the core of our planet. But going to the center is only part of the fun. There are so many things you could find on the way. Mole men, lost civilizations, clues to the start of life on Earth… the possibilities are endless!

Sure, you could transport your way to the core, but what’s the fun without the journey? You could make it in a lot of different ways. Maybe you’ll explore an extensive cave system, or perhaps you’ll invent a giant drilling machine.

Make your way underground: +20pts
Reach the center of the planet: +30pts
Find a lost/unkown species or civilization: +20pts
Find additional lost/unkown species or civilizations: +5pts per tick
Travel through the core to the other side of the planet: +15pts

Remember, I am giving creativity bonuses as well. In this task I am looking for the most creative way to get to the center, but you could also earn points for anything else that catches my eye!