Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Shadow of a Day
Explorer of Spacetime
Somniologist
LD count: More and more

polyphasic sleep used to be common
PostPosted: Sat 09 Feb, 2013  Reply with quote

I recently read about how our sleeping patern of sleeping once per day may not have been the norm through history. Historical evidence suggests that people used to sleep in a polyphasic patern. They would go to sleep, wake up in the middle of the night for one hour, and then go back to sleep again.

source:
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Current LD goal(s): Got 10 ld goals in one dream! Now it's time to put the Dreamclock to the test!
KingMikeII
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I read some information about polyphasic sleep recently and it was really interesting. In particular, some people have claimed to have experienced major benefits from changing their sleep pattern and napping every 4-6 hours. They say they feel more rested than normal and have gained considerably more waking time (but lucid dreaming is difficult). Here is a journal by somebody who undertook a polyphasic sleep schedule:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-s leep-log-day-1/

Samick
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 6

KingMikeII wrote:
I read some information about polyphasic sleep recently and it was really interesting. In particular, some people have claimed to have experienced major benefits from changing their sleep pattern and napping every 4-6 hours. They say they feel more rested than normal and have gained considerably more waking time (but lucid dreaming is difficult). Here is a journal by somebody who undertook a polyphasic sleep schedule:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2005/10/polyphasic-s leep-log-day-1/

There is a topic in this forum about it:
http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45848

Current LD goal(s): Becoming lucid more frequently
noobdreamer
Lucid Idiot
Somniologist
LD count: 40+

seems like WBTB :D
but a problem with the poliphasic sleep that involves sleeping every 4-6 hours is that it is incompatible with the social live of most people (i can't just take a nap during school every day, forexample wink5 )
i read that most people who tried the "uberman" sleep cycle (taking 6 30minute long naps every 4 hours) had to stop at some point because it was not compatible with their lifestyle
i have to admit that I'm a bit sceptical about poliphasic sleep schedules that involve only a few hours of sleep, though

Current LD goal(s): improve dream recall | get back to having LDs regularly | world domination
Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare