what should one do in their first lucid dream?

so yeah, i just joined this forum. i’ve been reading up on forum code extensively the past couple days, but excuse me if this isn’t in the right place!

so, here’s my deal: i’ve been LD training for a few months, but the past week or so i’ve been training even more hardcore and doing even more research. i know it isn’t a thing that just happens, but i’d like to be prepared for anything.
so my question is, when i finally get that first, sweet, beautiful, amazing lucid dream, what do i do? i know people like to go nuts and most peoples’ first thoughts (mine included) are to fly.

but in that key moment when i realize i’m lucid, what shall i do? i know it’s essential to stay calm to keep a hold on the world, but what’s best to do to familiarize myself with the way this world works?

should i change the color of stuff? get up and run around? yell really loud? walk through walls? change how my clothes look? what’s the best thing to do in the first lucid dream?

The first thing you do is enact a plan that you’ve come up with in waking life. If you go into the dream with something you want to do instead of going in and trying to decide in the dream, then you’ll hopefully avoid some of the usual problems with first lucid dreams. You won’t get too enamored in the dream environment because you’ll be thinking about your plan. You won’t run around screaming in excitement because you’ll be more excited to get to your plan. You won’t be confused as to what to do because you’ll have a plan.

If you want to fly, then fly! Decide how you’ll do it in advance, e.g., most first fliers simply will themselves through the air. Think about how it will feel and what you’ll see. Also consider anything that could stop you from starting on your goal right away, as you may be less logical in dreams. For example, consider an escape plan if you become lucid in a room where flight would be limited.

Don’t think too hard about what would be the right thing to do, but instead focus on what you want to do and plan early. It’s easier for first-timers to strive for something concrete like flight than it is to strive for something abstract like lucidity, anyway. :tongue:

Before enacting the plan, though (which is a really good idea, as you are easily distracted in LDs (well, I am, anyway)), you should stabilize the dream. Spin around, do reality checks, shout “LUCIDITY TIMES 1000!”, do whatever stabilization method you want, but stabilize your dream. This will help increase both the vividness and length of your dream, and doesn’t take much time at all, so always be sure to do it.

doubt and thorn, thanks to both of you for your advice!

at this point i’ve formulated a game plan for what i’m gonna do when i get my first lucid dream and i wrote it down. i’m gonna look at it every night as a reminder, in case i get to it.
the plan starts with a bunch of dream stabilization techniques and then has a few things i want to do. it’s actually quite funny; it kind of looks like i’m a tourist on vacation, planning out my trip.

thanks again, you two.

It may seem crazy but what helps once you have a plan in WL is to actually go through that plan, what I mean is to imagine(maybe through meditation) yourself becoming lucid. “See” yourself becoming lucid in a dream and going thorough this plan. Practice that. Try to have as much “real” experience as possible.

This way you are implementing your “game plan” into your WL and essentially in a dream and also developing your imagination which is a great tool later in dreams…

a plan. thats just what i needed to know, thankyou all.