Dreaming about bathrooms and attractive women

I’ve noticed a strange trend in my dreams, lately. In recent history, several of the dreams I have with interesting, attractive women involve bathrooms.

Often, either I get confused and get in the wrong bathroom OR they are mislabeled.

I’m not sure what to make of it, and I am aware of some of the psychological implications of these symbols but I’d really appreciate it if you guys could help me shed some light on this.

My SC also seems to be fixed on Suicide Girls and/or punk-rock girls. Huh.

Some examples (only the relevant parts, so the post won’t be too long):

I do understand the symbolism on “Exposed”, for example, which to me seemed like the clearest “evolution” my SC could have had about that matter, but frankly I don’t understand why the symbols were back this night, and the changes in the symbols were at least confusing to me.

Interesting dreams. I have no idea what it means though. If I had a recurring dream about something, I think that I would need to figure out it’s meaning on my own. The dreams are created by my mind. My knowledge, memories and feelings are what influence the dreams and thus I should have the best idea what they mean.

I guess it could be something you are only aware of subconsciously. If that’s the case then you could find the answer while lucid, right?

I suppose so… It’s odd because I often have a clear idea of what the symbolism behind my dream mean or at least refer to, but this time it’s taken me down a strange path. I’ll get lucid and find out more about it :smile:

Well, those are basically sex dreams -I guess you like punk girls.

There’s often a voyeuristic/exhibitionistic aspect to people’s dreams, where the unconscious gets to act on desires that are forbidden in waking life: spy on a girl in the bathroom, have a girl see you naked… So maybe that’s it.

Maybe also there’s an aspect of uncertain identity in some of those dreams, where you’re not sure what gender you are in the dream. It’s common for people to be become a different character in dreams (different age, gender etc.) Hence anxiety along the lines of: what gender am I in this dream, and what bathroom am I supposed to use?

[Although many psychologists are cricitical of Carl Jung and Jacques Lacan for not being very scientific, there an idea in psychoanalysis that might be relevant here: that in waking life, we are socially constrained to act out assigned gender roles, and personal characteristics that don’t fit are pushed down into the unconscious. (In this psychoanalytic model, everyone has some aspects that don’t fit, their assigned gender role, not just transgendered people. Similar kinds of things have also been said by a ton of feminist writers).

Yeah, that does make sense, though the bathroom figure still puzzles me a little.

This does make sense, I guess. It’s funny to think about it that the reasoning, if that is the case, happens on a purely symbolic level. It’s usually “the dream” that leads me to be confused. I get in the “wrong doors”, or both are wrong… It does say a lot, when thinking within that context. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

I’m a bit too tired to think straight, so I can’t give an adequate answer at this time, but I just wanted to mention that I’m on here tonight because I was looking at an entry in my old dream journal and trying to analyze it. The particular dream that I’ve been analyzing involved going into the wrong bathroom.

I’m going to think about this, but if you get any more insights, I’d be glad to compare.

After obsessing over my old dream for about a week, here’s what I think going into the wrong bathroom meant for me. Take what you will from my experience.

First, there were two instances of this happening in the dream. The first was when this girl I was dating in the dream accidentally went into the boys’ room (I remained outside until she came out). The second was when I went into the girls’ room, with full knowledge of which bathroom I was going into.

Now, there’s an element of transgressing a boundary, in either case, but much more so in mine (as opposed to the girl’s). I think Susan_Y’s comment about identity confusion is on the right track with respect to my dream, but there’s another element: entering into a woman’s world (and vice versa). Especially in the context of sex, relationships, and intimacy, there’s this ideal of “becoming one with your partner,” to the point that, especially towards the end of the dream, it was hard for me to tell who was doing what to whom. For me, there was also a question of just how deep one travels into the bathroom―the deeper you go, the more intimate the connection.