Help with WILD

Whenever I try WILD one of two things will happen:

1- I wake up, go to the bathroom, maybe have a sip of water then lie down on my back, try to relax and then I fall asleep immediately.

2- I wake up, go to the bathroom, maybe have a sip of water then lie down on my back, try to relax but I can’t and I feel wide awake, and end up just lying there for hours. I eventually either give up or forget that I’m trying to WILD and just try to fall asleep normally.

Any input would be much appreciated

You are the expert on yourself, Gizzle.

Then, you are the only one who can learn how to identify whenever you can fall asleep easily.

In case you learn how to detect that you would fall asleep too quickly, instead of lie down right after waking up (and going to the bathroom), sit down, think about LDing, read something useful about the topic. You need to experiment the correct time to be awake, rise your awareness and then get back to sleep.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Yeah it can be hard at first trying to fall back to sleep but it will get much quicker and easier over time.

It used to take me a long time to drift off after WBTB, it would become frustrating and I’d just turn on my side to fall to sleep.
The trouble with that is though, I can’t guarantee a Lucid when not laying on my back.

One thing that helped was after laying there for a little while (laying pretty straight), was to just change position.
I’d stay on my back but maybe turn a little to the side and bend my leg up (not up in the air), I’d also bend my body so it would relax a large group of muscles in my back and sides.
With this change in position after laying so still for a while, you can really feel the tension in the muscles release and it triggers you to feel relaxed and drowsy, helping you fall asleep quickly after.

Sounds tricky seeing its not consistant in how you respond to doing this after going back to bed. are you sure you certainly waking up though and not having false awakenings, are really are getting up having a drink etc? Make sure you reality check when you wake up.

Maybe try changing the time you wake yourself up to see you can get a more consistant result at a different time with either having the issues going back to sleep or with falling asleep faster and from there something can be done to try to fix the issue you have.

Also if you don’t manage to LD in one hour, I suggest to roll over and then try to go to sleep. Not being able to sleep in an hour means you are trying too hard with this and hence its keeping you awake. You need to allow yourself to go to sleep to have a LD.