Medication i need is causing too many LD's HELP!!!

Since I’ve started a multitude of new medication I need to live a normal life, I lucid dream way to much. It’s to the point where i wake up confused and can’t tell if i’m in reality or a dream and it can be terrifying. At first the dreams were wonderful and enjoyable, but now it’s almost always nightmarish. I just want to sleep, have normal dreams and not wake up exhausted. Is their any way i can reduce this?

Try to get very tired then just go to sleep. Normally when tired, you don’t keep awareness in dreams.

I’m almost always tired. One of the side effects i experience is extreme thirst so i’m forced to wake up. I’ve started keeping an iced thermos next to my bed for this. After i wake up and have a drink, then lucid dream starts like clockwork and they’re very intense. My last dream was something like the apocalypse. When i woke up i ran to the shed to grab wooden boards to board up the house. I realized i was in reality after 20 minutes.

If you’re not aware of the difference between dreams and reality, then you’re not truly becoming lucid, I’d say. Check your state frequently: what were you just doing, is this logical, can you breathe through your nose, etc. That, and know that nightmares are not more likely in lucid dreams for the vast majority of people. While the medication could certainly be causing that, part of being lucid is the ability to change things, so you can prevent these nightmares once you get a grip on how they work. Lucid dreams also rarely cause actual exhaustion.

I highly suggest you study up on lucidity a bit. We can’t give you a magic fix to undo the medication’s effects, but we can certainly help you manage your symptoms and get them back to being the positive things they were at first.

Next time i see my psychiatrist i will talk about this, but i’m quite aware of what a lucid dream is. It’s as if i’m in real life but can do whatever i want. I can fly, i can change the landscape around me and even speak fake languages in some cases, it’s great, but i’m starting to lose control. The lucid dreaming would be fine if it weren’t for the sleep paralysis i experience afterward. It’s like a bridge between my dream world and the real world. So sleep paralysis is the biggest problem i suppose.

I am sorry to disappoint you but I think that Thorn is correct, you could be experiencing FLD instead of LD. The actual definition of LD is not about the control, it is about being concious about dreaming, therefore you cannot be unsure of it.

Ok, now lets forget about the proper definition. If you are having delusional/schizophrenic problems, you should talk to your psychiatrist, we are not here to help you in this kind of situation.

If we were to help, we would recommend you to learn how to proper RC and how to break SP. But I recommend you talking to your psychiatrist first.

No disappointment at all, after reading your reply everything seems to make a bit more sense. Thank you for all the advice and helping me in the right direction to pinpoint my problem.

Well, most certainly waking up in the middle of the night is one of the things that mostly triggers lucidity. I tend to have much more lucid dreams if im not in a deep sleep. But now having nightmarish dreams is the real problem. For me, having a different atmosphere in the room can cause darkish dreams. One of the things that helps me judge if I had a good time dreaming is how am I waking up… am I still feeling tired, beaten up, or just fresh. If you find the thing that makes you wake-up fresh, for sure that will make you dream better. Actually I think that a lot of your subconscious thinking has an impact on your bad dreams. Maybe if you change your view towards some things, you can have healthier nights. You can start by not thinking ill of what you’ve dreamed and actually try to wake up fresh every morning. Waking up fresh can negate all bad stuff encountered during dreaming.