EN \ NL \ FR
Current Wings Quest 116
Interview!
print ShareShare 

How do you say "dream" in your language?

Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author  Message 
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
cookie lover
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d
Location: Universe............. Favorite Animal: Mew....... Nightmare count: 4

How do you say "dream" in your language?
PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

LD4all is an international community with members who speak many different languages. I was recently thinking about languages and wondered something. In English, "dream" can refer to the things we see while sleeping ("I had a crazy dream last night!") as well as our goals and aspirations ("I have a dream..."). I was wondering if any other languages use their word for "dream" in the same way or if there are other definitions.

So why not share how to say "dream" in any languages you speak or are trying to learn? And specify if the word has any other definitions or if there are multiple words for "dream" or anything else interesting?!

So, I'll go first! I'm learning Japanese in school right now! The Japanese word for dream is (ゆめ) ("yume") and it actually maps out to the English word "dream" pretty well. It can mean both the things we see at night while sleeping and aspirations. I'm not sure if this is due to Western influence or if the word has always been like that. According to various internet sources which may or may not be Google Translate, the term for "lucid dream" in Japanese is 明晰夢 (めいせきむ) ("meisekimu"). I'm not sure if there are any other terms or not.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com

Last edited by Mew151 on Sun 24 Jan, 2016; edited 1 time in total
Cornelia Xaos
cookie lover
cookie lover
Cornelia Xaos has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: 314—17/06/2
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's got a blue background with stars, and it's a forum...

"Oh look! An excuse for me to speak Spanish! :D"

En espaol, dicimos soar y lo usamos casi lo mismo como en ingles. Or.. to put that in another language... In Spanish we say "soar" and we use it almost the same as in English. "Lucid dreams" would be "sueos lucidos".

So.. yea.. I look forwards to seeing what other languages people put up here. smile

Current LD goal(s): To Actually LD Regularly Again... Jeez...
Pedro Sponchiado
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 6

In Brazil, we speak portuguese and we call it "sonho". It has the same meaning that in english( althought there is a candy called sonho, a little cake with cream of nobodyknowswhat-flavor wink )

Current LD goal(s): fly and achieve more vividity and awareness
Vergil
LD count: 81

In french, we say: "Rve". so lucid dream is just "Rve lucide".

Current LD goal(s): Create.
Majah
dream grower
Somniologist
LD count: under 100

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

In dutch, the language of the Netherlands, we say "droom".
Lucid dream is "lucide droom".

It has the same meanings as in english (the activity while sleeping, as well as future goals and aspirations)

Last edited by Majah on Wed 07 Oct, 2015; edited 1 time in total
Marvin
cookie lover
cookie lover
Wolfgame
LD count: 12

In German we use the word "Traum" for dream, which can also mean both the experience at night and aspirations or hopes/wishes. I wouldn't be surprised though if the term is also used in English or other languages when a lot of terms in psychology were coined by Germans^^

A lucid dream is a "Klartraum", which literally means "clear dream", but could of course also mean vivid dream or lucid dream wink5 It is however a single noun in German, no adjective+noun combination.

Also, wiki also lists the lucid dream as 明晰夢, however it uses a different reading for 夢: meiseki-mu. I've also read it up in some other source a while ago but I don't remember what term they used. However, I am quite sure it had 明 in it tounge1

Ghosteh
Fire Apprentice
LD4all addict
Ghosteh has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Loads of them

In my language we say "drm" and its used in both contexts, and lucid dream is klardrm or lucid drm, nothing more interesting than german tounge1

Current LD goal(s): Become a fire-master
Majah
dream grower
Somniologist
LD count: under 100

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

Ghosteh wrote:
In my language we say "drm" and its used in both contexts, and lucid dream is klardrm or lucid drm, nothing more interesting than german tounge1

So where do you live, Ghosteh? wink

En'enra

In Serbian ♪

dream: san
to dream: sanjati (pronounced sanyati)
I am dreaming: Ja sanjam
lucid dreaming/lucid dreams: lucidno sanjanje/lucidni snovi (pronounced lutsid-)
dreamer: sanjar
dream journal: dnevnik snova
to sleep: spavati
nightmare: komar (koshmar), or noćna mora (literally night mare)
daydreaming: sanjarenje
to daydream: sanjariti

San can mean both dreaming during sleep and someone's aspirations.

Letaali
Ghost
cookie lover
Letaali has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Wolfgame
LD count: 98

In Finnish it's:

dream=uni
lucid dream=selkouni
nightmare=painajainen

Current LD goal(s): Reach the Frozen Planet
EllyEve
This is not an apple
Dream Deity
EllyEve has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 20+

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

In Tagalog, dream is "panaginip" (with a soft G and long I). There's even a word for Old Hag Syndrome, "bangungot" (both ng's are pronounced together, like the end of an English gerund.)

I heard in Japanese the sleep paralysis phenomenon is "kanashibari" and traditionally involves a ghost rather than an old hag.

What I'm really curious about is the etymology of the Australian Aborigines words that get translated into "dreaming". I've read that Aboriginal "Dreaming" refers to territories, mythology, and rituals...but do they also refer to the stuff that they see when they sleep? Or did some colonialists just think that calling tribal practices "dreamings" was more poetic?

Eilatan
The Lookout Rogue.
Head Scribe
Eilatan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: 十

PostPosted: Fri 09 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

EllyEve wrote:
What I'm really curious about is the etymology of the Australian Aborigines words that get translated into "dreaming". I've read that Aboriginal "Dreaming" refers to territories, mythology, and rituals...but do they also refer to the stuff that they see when they sleep? Or did some colonialists just think that calling tribal practices "dreamings" was more poetic?

Actually, the term "Dreaming" in that cased is used as a synonym for the more Anglicised "Dreamtime". It's completely different from the Aboriginals actual terms for dreaming. It's hard to say what the word is for Aboriginals, since there is a load of actual languages, differing from each tribe. Wiki says "The term "Dreaming" is directly based on the term Altjira (Alchera), the name of a spirit or entity in the mythology of the Aranda [tribe]." kiekeboe

Current LD goal(s): Meet my dream guide

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
En'enra

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

EllyEve wrote:
I heard in Japanese the sleep paralysis phenomenon is "kanashibari" and traditionally involves a ghost rather than an old hag.

Reminded me of this.

EllyEve
This is not an apple
Dream Deity
EllyEve has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 20+

PostPosted: Sat 10 Oct, 2015  Reply with quote

Eilatan wrote:
EllyEve wrote:

Actually, the term "Dreaming" in that cased is used as a synonym for the more Anglicised "Dreamtime". It's completely different from the Aboriginals actual terms for dreaming. It's hard to say what the word is for Aboriginals, since there is a load of actual languages, differing from each tribe. Wiki says "The term "Dreaming" is directly based on the term Altjira (Alchera), the name of a spirit or entity in the mythology of the Aranda [tribe]." kiekeboe

Ah, thank you! That cleared things up a lot. smile I followed some Wiki links, they've been updated so much since the last time I looked up Dreamtime, and apparently a man named William Edward Hanley Stanner translated altjira or alcheringa from an Aranda language into Dreamtime...which might have been a mistranslation, and nothing to do with hallucinations during sleep at all. This also explains why, when I got to read an actual anthropological ethnography (Daughters of the Dreaming by Diane Bell, focused on the Walpiri and Katej), there were a lot of references to Dreamtime or Dreaming as mythological and ritual and ancestral and territorial...and maybe only once did the word refer to a significant dream that somebody had when they slept, specifically because of a sort of a curse that somebody else did them. Unfortunately, the original word for that wasn't included, it was just glossed as Dreaming, which I guess anthropologists are going to continue to use.

En'enra wrote:
EllyEve wrote:

Reminded me of this.

I've got to catch up on the rest of this show one day.

Lyvenia
LD count: a few i think

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jan, 2016  Reply with quote

Vergil wrote:
In french, we say: "Rve". so lucid dream is just "Rve lucide".

And to go further, we can explain that (in French as in English) We use "rver" to talk about our dreams for our future life for example.
"J'ai toujours rv de faire des rves lucides !"
"I have always wanted to make lucid dreams ! "

The similarities between these two languages are big. eek2

Current LD goal(s): as much as possible
Page 1 of 2Goto page 1, 2  Next

print   ShareShare