Scared of dreaming

Hello :wave:
i really want to have a LD but im kind of scared. When its day i just love to read about LDing and talk about it and stuff, but when its evening and i lay in my bed im like: let it be over, i dont want to lucid dream and thats very stupid because i just want to but i dont know why i am so afraid of it when im going to sleep.

maybe you guys also have this feeling sometimes, and how do you get over it?
if you every had this kind of thing, please leave a reply :content:

Might be a natural reaction you have to the concept of lucidity itself. Your brain doesn’t know what to expect from lucid dreaming, as it’s most likely a new concept to you, and so you respond with fear. Rest assured, however, there’s really nothing to fear here, the more you continue to practice, you’ll notice the feeling will subside.

I used to be afraid of dreaming myself! I remember being very excited to try all kinds of lucid dreaming techniques during the day, but by night, I’d be afraid. I don’t even really know what I was afraid of. All the scary things I could see? The old hag? I just felt this strong irrational fear.

I feel like one major step I made in getting over my fear was approaching lucid dreaming more seriously. First off, having a serious drive for lucid dreaming just sort of forced me to confront my fears if I wanted to be successful. Also, being serious caused me to approach lucid dreaming from a more critical viewpoint. I saw lucid dreaming less as some scary matrix-y magic and more as just a cool legitimate phenomenon of the brain.

Another part is just confidence. I know it sounds hard and a bit condescending, but a good way to not be afraid is just… not to be afraid. Be confident that everything will be fine and you’ll surely have a good experience… which will only build up your confidence even more. Hopefully you’ll be able to get over this soon and have some great lucid dreams!

thank you both, for answering my questions, im gonna try it tonight and i hope i will not be very afraid anymore!! Mew151 & Husky