Lucid but blind

Hey guys and girls :smile:

I really could need some help ^^"

During the last lucid dreams I always had the problem that I was blind from the very beginning or became blind when I became aware that I was dreaming.

I use the iWILD-technique to become lucid in the morning. I roll out of my body then I test if I’m dreaming. I do dreaming but I’m absolutely unable to see! I can feel my dreambody. I can touch my closed eyes and I can’t open them. I’m aware it’s just a imagined body and that I actually don’t “see” as in the physical world. But I can’t see nontheless :grrr:

When I become aware that I’m dreaming during a dream and I make an RC (twitching my nose and try to breathe) my “dreambody”-eyes start to close. I can’t do anything against it and I’m so confused because it didn’t happend the years before :bored:
I tried to stabilize the dream with every known technique: spinning, call out loud the dream shall stabilize, rubbing my hands or look at them… I guess my mind just sucks? :tongue:

I hope someone of you could help me with that or has a nice tip how I can handle these crappy LDs :content:

Thanks in advance to everyone who cares :smile:

Hey! I had a similar issue which I’m still unsure why it happened so I’d say first try not to think about that too much otherwise next time you’re lucid it’s gona happen again (expectation result).

Second, how many times did it happen ? Were you very tired everytime you did WILD ? Or maybe a mix of tired and not relaxed enough ? Besides, if you have started again to practice lucid dreaming, at first it might be a bit complicated and just because you are lucid doesn’t mean you are lucid enough to see, move or control the dream. I wouldn’t worry tho, I think it’s just about time :smile:

Also regarding stabilization, I did that once too, trying every single technique one after the other… It obviously didn’t really work :razz: When you tried every technique, you probably started to build up some bad expectation that it would fail since you needed so much of them. As you followed one after the other, it might have meant to you that the first one failed, then the 2nd one failed ect… Hence why you ended up trying each of them. So the whole thing was seen as a fail in your head and the more you did the more you failed. Doesn’t really help right ? Don’t worry you didn’t fail. Just try to focus on one thing at a time.

I think the first thing to do generally is something that relax you and calm you down instead of something that keeps you in the dream. Staying calm not to wake up early and staying lucid not to get lost into the dream are 2 differents things, you should aim for the first one at the beginning. I believe if you’re not calm enough or stressed and that you immediately focus on stabilizing the dream cause you think you have to, cause you think it’s the first thing to do, you might not be in the right mindset and it could lead to these awkward weaknesses (losing sight, losing touch, losing movement ect…). I’m not saying not to stabilize the dream, but usually you want to stabilize the dream once it starts to fade. When you first get lucid you want more to keep calm and keep your lucidity, this is generally enough to not wake up at the beginning.

I guess if it keeps happening you could create some tricks to open your dream eyes… You could imagine that you find a pair of glasses and put it on so that it will give you back your sight. Things like that.

Pardon me if that’s not too clear, but at the same time lucid dreaming is a very subtle subject and it’s literally a different science for everyone :o And obviously I’m still a newbie haha

I had this problem a few months back. I got out of it by spinning in place as soon as I became lucid. I would then enter the blackness but I kept on spinning. I then imagined a place I wanted to be and it would slowly form around me.
I have found that for this type of problem you only need to solve it once or twice and then it will leave you alone for some time.

Another thing you could try is finding something in the dream like kelya_13 suggested. I would recommend looking for a torch or other light source. Or find a wall with a light switch.

One last thing to try would be to recreate the same situation IRL. Have a friend supervise you and put a blindfold on. Complete a few simple tasks while blindfolded. Maybe try find something like you would do if you when dreaming.

Let us know if you try anything and share if it worked or not.

Hi, hi kelya_13 :smile:

First of all, thank you very much for your help! :cheesy:

Yap, that’s the main problem of course -_- And I think one of the reasons why it keeps happening. It happend once, it sucked, I’m afraid it could happen again - Tadaa :happy:

Two iWILD I could manage and in both I was blind from the beginning. Third time was the weirdest because I finally managed to enter a Hynagogic Image, did a RC and the eyes started to close immediately

Hmz, the iWILD-Technique is sorta aggressive, you concentrate harshly to reach the goal to enter the dream so I couldn’t be relaxed enough. When I entered the HI I was a bit in a hurry and too excited I think?

I’m someone who’s always in a big rush. I know that’s ruining everything :happy: It’s hard for me to calm down and to relaxe first. In a LD just a few days ago I managed to calm down first and it worked really good :smile: Even if I don’t see, the point for me is not to panic.

Yap, just what you wrote. The more I needed to stabilize the dream the more it faded away and I was running around like a headless chicken :happy: Funny is that most of the times a FA seems to follow and that’s what I want to try the next times to re-enter a LD. One stabilization worked finally but I have to calm down first. I grabbed a bookmark and focused it and it became a sharp image again :smile:

Almost everytime I managed to get an LD I had in mind: “You’re running out of time, hurry! LD’s don’t last for long!” but that was the wrong thing, I could figure out in my last LD. Maybe I can’t see everything sharp, things are blurry or I can’t see anything. If I keep calm the dream lasts most of the time instead of fading away and sometimes I could see again without any effort. I still have that problem when I close my dream eyes I can’t open them again. Though I’m calm it still happens but it’s not such a great desaster as it was the last three times.

It’s so funny for me because I figured that out just a few days ago but it’s good to read someone has the same solution in mind what reassures my idea how to manage those problems :smile:

I’m very visually impaired and sooo used to my glasses :happy: Only in LD’s I become aware: “Aaah, you’re not wearing your glasses, you won’t… Yes, now you can’t see anything sharp, only colors, great!” :happy: I know it’s my own mind what tricked me into my personal desaster. I should be aware that I don’t need glasses in my dreams :smile: But you gave a nice idea. I have little flashlights in my bedroom. I’ll place one beside my bed and use it next time^^ Let’s see if it works! -

No, no, your help was just great, reassured what I had in mind and gave me some new ideas, it was just perfect and I’m very thankfull for your help! :smile:

Sincerely
Nate :tongue:

Hi DTDownUnder :smile:

First of all thank you for your help!^^

Okay, you take spinning. When I just stay where I am and do nothing I’ll have FA but spinning I could try either.

I gotta tell myself that it definitely works and it works I think :smile: It took an eternity to figure out which techniques work for me -_- But I think it’s because I’m an impatient character :happy:

Yes, that’s a good idea of both of you^^ I’ll try it with a flashlight when I managed to calm down :smile:

I’m almost blind already, I just gotta take my glasses of :happy: :happy:

But I like your idea! :smile: I’ll try that out at night when it’s dark anyway. I leave my room often at night without light but I could close my eyes to enhance the darkness, I’m sure that’ll help :smile:

To calm down works very good. Next I’ll try the spinning and the idea to walk in my room when it’s completely dark and to find a source of light. I hope I’ll have a LD soon again.
I’ll post in here again about the results!
Thank you very much for your help and new ideas! :smile:

Sincerely

A super simple solution is to just whip out some glasses or even night-vision goggles or what-have-you in your dream and stick 'em on, with the idea that these glasses will make you able to see. This is basically the same idea as the light-switch mentioned earlier, except you can just pull glasses out of your pocket, rather than fumbling along a wall! :smile:

Having a physical object fix your stuff for you takes the pressure off of your self-confidence, see - this is why it’s always super-easy to fly in a dream if you put on a jetpack or something, because you’re attributing the ability to the object as opposed to yourself, which is much less of a stretch for your noggin.

I agree with this. I also experience darkness when I become lucid, fairly often actually. Don’t try to “see better” or open your eyes. You are not using your eyes anyway. Use an object to help you, or make the darkness something outside of you.

In the latest experience I had with this, I was lying in bed in the dream. I could feel my body and I had an idea what the world around me was like, even though I could not see it. I remained calm and understood that I was not using my eyes; this darkness was part of the dream. I imagined the darkness being a small bubble in the dream world, one that I could get out of. I then tried to get up fast and leave it, but I felt a lot of resistance. I tried again, but slowly this time, and it worked. I floated out of the bubble and saw normally again.

Hi 500Channels :happy:

I will try. I like your idea to pull out my glasses outta my pocket! :smile: What helped last time was to relax first and then I was able to see, blurry but I could see. Now to have in mind that I can find my glasses in my pocket could fix the rest of this “issue” :happy:

To fly causes sometimes trouble, sometimes it’s fairly easy. Since I was a little child and became lucid in my dreams I started to fly because that was and is something I will never be able so easily as IRL. But I remember that I once used a jetpack and it was very funny :happy:
Thank you very much for your help! :smile:

Sincerely

Hi Letaali! :happy:

I wonder why some people have problems with sight in dreams. Especially in LD’s. What’s the reason? Does anybody has an idea or is it too individual acording to the dreamer?

To be able to leave the darkness is a nice idea I never thought about for some reason :smile: It gives me the idea that I could leave the darkness behind when I manage to leave the current place. Let’s say, I see a door and leave the darkness when I go through it. I know it’s a bit complicated but in my head it sounds like that that can work for me :smile:
So I thank you very much for your help! :happy:

Sincerely

Finally I had a LD this morning! According to all your tips and advices I wanted to tell you how it worked :smile:

You’ll never guess what the source of light was in my LD when a DC and I entered the hallway in a dark wardrobe :happy: It was a bottle full with water! Yes! And it worked :happy: But not the bottle only worked as a light source, my watch did the same though it’s an analog watch.

When I entered my dream I saw blurry and called a DC who came outta my wardrobe. He took place on a bed across of my own and I asked him: “Hey, Calem. What could I do to see better?”
He looked at me, seemed insecure and said: “Ahm … Why don’t you take your glasses?”
I did so, went to my nightstand and took them. I saw better but not quite sharp. I asked Calem once again if he could have better glasses but he just shook his head and shrugged :happy:

Now it’s proven for me that I always have a FA after a LD. Even several FA! I’m not really lucid anymore then, this morning I even thought about it what I could do next time during I was dreaming und didn’t realise that I was dreaming already :sad:

Well … for some reason, when my LD started to become a nightmare LD I ran into the darkness :happy: :happy: That was… kinda stupid, I had a FA right after that and a female narrator who spoke to me while I was lying in my bed (dreaming of course) who said: “Of course this couldn’t work! The more you wanted it and the more you tried to force it, the less it was working! You should have relaxed!” :happy:

The second LD this morning was like the ones I described already. I rolled outta my bed and couldn’t see. I tried to call the DC Calem but he didn’t show up. And then I did something weird but the point is it worked :grin:
I started to dance :happy: I hopped through the room and waved with my hands and then I started to see again :happy: I don’t get the reason why it works but I’m just glad I found a way to see again.

I still want to try out the thing about the spinning! The object-thing works well and the source of light is no problem either :smile: I think I made a good progress and can use my LD’s! :content:

Thank you all for your help! Should anything new happen I’ll post it here :happy:

Sincerely

I’ve had that happen a lot, and I can echo the advice to not try to open your eyes! What I found has worked is just patiently waiting or reach out and try to touch something, and wait. One time I felt a fuzzy carpet and the scene slowly built around me. I believe we are waiting for our brain to activate a visual area or something and construct a world. I also have a problem of bluriness and this could be bc I’m blind wo my contacts. But I think that’s a different issue from the darkness.