Using Classical Conditioning to Trigger Reality Checks

Has anyone done this? I have an app on my iPad that makes a unique noise every 20 minutes. When I hear that noise, I try to push my fingers through my palm. I’m around my iPad most of the day so I hear it a lot. I’m pretty conditioned now, doing the check without even thinking about it (I initiate without thinking. I pay attention when I’m doing the check.)

At night, I leave the noise on a 20min timer, same as day. Is it possible to be conditioned that when I hear it in my sleep, I’ll check in my dream? Is there any chance of becoming lucid that way?

I guess it can work …

Let us know

I think it might work. This technique seems to be used more often. People pick an event, for example walking through a door, and every time that event occurs they do a reality check. So eventually when you walk through a door in a dream you will do a reality check and find out you are dreaming.

As for your technique, you should be able to hear things happening in real life when dreaming. So if the sound is loud enough to hear from inside your dream, but not too loud to wake you up, you could do a reality check and become lucid. One thing that could also happen is the sound of your Ipad randomly happening in your dreams like it does in real life, also causing you to do a reality check.

For how long have you been trying this technique now?

I’ve been doing it for about a week and a half now, but I have had trouble remembering my dreams, so I can’t tell if it worked. I’m journaling, and I’ve remembered two of my dreams from the past two nights, so I believe that’s getting easier.