EN \ NL \ FR
Train your lucid dreaming skills:
Join the LD4all Quest and earn your Wings!
print ShareShare 

Can the human mind create a face?

Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
richardwalter

Can the human mind create a face?
PostPosted: Mon 06 Feb, 2017  Reply with quote

Hello,

This is something that has bothered me for years. When there is a character in your dreams (lucid or not) and you do not know them. Did the mind create them? Or do you think it is the subconscious either using a face you saw but did not take notice to, lets say a random person you passed at the mall. Or do you think the mind is putting together a face from parts of people you know. I don't think it could be people you know well or you would pick up on that.

[mod]removed website[/mod]

jbaron
jbaron has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: <20

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2017  Reply with quote

Wow, great question... I think it would be difficult to find the answer. I'm sure it is a combination of real faces on some level, but probably remembered from throughout life so we have a pretty big pool to draw from. I always like to think of dream characters as pretty unique though, each one created by the brain with some subconscious intention.

N@t3
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 12 for 2016

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2017  Reply with quote

Hi richardwalter smile

Hm, as far as I know, we don't create faces. As far as I know, we see ppl in our dreams we have seen already. As you already said, our SC saves a lot of faces. All those faces return when you dream, I think the brain just fills a gap: "I need a face here, let's take that cashier guy from last Tuesday..." And yes, I believe we are able to mix them up: the nose from him, the eyes of her, the hair is from that child from the play ground... I think that's how it works.
Of course, we can't prove it! You cannot remember if you have seen that person from your dream or not, but I'm pretty sure we just see ppl we have seen already smile I'm visually impaired, so all faces I see are very blurry. The only faces I see clearly are friends, family, well known actors...
I did a bit research and read an article written by some professor who studies dreams, he analyzed about 5000 dreams. He says not quite the same as I do. Yes, he believes that we use images from reality to create new things in dreams but we are also able to create complete new things, new towns, new monsters and - why not - new faces :D So it depends. Sometimes you dream of someone you know, sometimes you mix two ppl together and, as it seems, you are able to create a complete new person.

Current LD goal(s): To extend my LD's
Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare