Page 1 of 1

Author  Message 
Praxis99
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Many

Unpleasant experience while lucid
PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov, 2017  Reply with quote

I had an unpleasant experience while lucid the other night and would be interested in others thoughts re dealing with the same 'in dream' since its similar to other occurrences that have happened over the years.

In this particular dream I find myself in a long downward sloping stone corridor off which are passageways and stairways leading further downward. Now I am familiar with the theory that to go up you are rising to your 'higher self' and going down burrowing deeper into ones subconscious.

I choose with a little trepidation to start on down a spiral staircase but feel increasing fearful as I do so. I retreat back up the stairs with the air 'buzzing' around me. Once back in the original passageway I feel something has clamped itself 'piggy back' style to my back. I try to speak to tell it to go away but my throat feels constrained and what I say is barely a whisper (indeed bizarrely feel the need to 'command' it to do so under the name of my "holy guardian angel" since I am not especially religious). I can hear it breathing and literally try batter it off against a wall and then make a fruitless attempt to peel its fingers/wings from my side.

Nothing works its struck fast, a proverbial malevolent monkey of sorts it would seem on my back till I wake.

This thankfully doesn't happen all that often since most of my lucid experiences are free of such things but I'd love to know a strategy for dealing with this when it does.

The only thing that has occurred to me is that the next time I stand on a stairway leading down I gather myself and follow it all the way and see where I finish up!

Current LD goal(s): To have regular, longer and more vivid lucid dreams
obfusc8
obfuscate! :P
cookie lover
obfusc8 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

The default answer whenever anyone has a nightmare or feeling of fear in a dream is usually suggesting confronting or talking to it, but since you tried that and found yourself unable to speak, that won't be much help.

Perhaps, like you said, continuing down the staircase rather than backing away might provide answers or insight into what this 'malevolent monkey' is. (I'm definitely stealing that phrase, 'proverbial malevolent monkey' - it's awesome. siiw )

My other thought or suggestion would be to try an approach similar to meditation, where you 'acknowledge' the fear and the weight on your back, but try to just observe it and let that thought or feeling pass. Say you are in the shower and the water suddenly turns cold - a typical reaction would be to yelp and jump out of the water, but an alternative reaction could be to calmly acknowledge that the water is cold, experience the unpleasant stimulus for a few moments, and step calmly away.

Good emotion/reaction control is great for lucid dreams too, so its a good skill to practice.

Letaali
Ghost
cookie lover
Letaali has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Wolfgame
LD count: 101

obfusc8 wrote:

My other thought or suggestion would be to try an approach similar to meditation, where you 'acknowledge' the fear and the weight on your back, but try to just observe it and let that thought or feeling pass. Say you are in the shower and the water suddenly turns cold - a typical reaction would be to yelp and jump out of the water, but an alternative reaction could be to calmly acknowledge that the water is cold, experience the unpleasant stimulus for a few moments, and step calmly away.

Good emotion/reaction control is great for lucid dreams too, so its a good skill to practice.

I also struggle with taking back control of a lucid dream where I feel fear. People have suggested singing, changing scene, facing the cause of the fear and laughing. I've tried those, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

Next time I'm planning to just stop and focus on the fear and getting it under control. I don't need to interact with the dream, I need to meditate.

The way you speak of emotion and reaction control reminds me a lot of dream yoga lessons. This particular aspect feels really important. I hope I can gain better control of my lucids soon. Good luck to you as well Praxis.

Current LD goal(s): Reach the Frozen Planet
N@t3
The Nightmare Dealer
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 7 for 2017

PostPosted: Sun 26 Nov, 2017  Reply with quote

I have experienced lucid nightmares too >.> It's really hard to regain control over the dream after you lost it once. Interesting is that the "thing" in your dream fits very well with the description of an incubus (or succubus if it's female), a little demon that sits on you while you're sleeping and giving you nightmares. This much about your mythical creature.

The only things that ever worked for me was getting light. The source of light can be anything. Last time for me it was bottle filled with water what suddenly worked as a flash light.
The other thing that worked very well was another DC who accompanied me, so I didn't feel alone. Together we made it through a dark tunnel.
Standing still and trying to calm down isn't easy but was also very helpful whenever I felt scared or was about to lose lucidity.
The more you try to wake up in a lucid nightmare, the worse in can get. Try not to panic. I know, that's really hard and easier said than done but it works when you make it :3

Current LD goal(s): Change my dream environment
GenghisKhan
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
GenghisKhan has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Sun 26 Nov, 2017  Reply with quote

During my numerous lucid adventures, I've faced my share of lucid nightmares
Sometimes they happened, other times I were purposely looking for trouble - I still shiver when I think about the time I summoned a demon inside a pentacle

I could suggest one way to deal with it that sits between the "confront it" and "acknowledge it":
- Withstand whatever it is doing to you, if needed continuously reinforcing the deep knowledge that this is your dream
- It is worth to try again speaking with it - if you can't speakout, just use mental words, it will work
Similar to what I did here: -8-Feb-2016 - Land on the Moon, Fight the Moth-man

I can tell you that confronting my fears over and over, I've had less and less nightmares or just bad/unpleasant feelings in dreams

Happy lucids !

Selkie
Mistwalker
Lucid Initiate
Selkie has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Mon 27 Nov, 2017  Reply with quote

Praxis99, that dream sounds so intense. What an experience!

I find this so interesting.

Myself, I only ever had lucid nightmares following SP. And I don't get SP anymore, so no more lucid nightmares. Anyone else have an association between lucid nightmares and SP?

I never really had great strategies for dealing with the nightmares. I would usually just try to avoid the situation by calmly walking away or waking myself up.

Current LD goal(s): Revive my recall and sadly neglected dream-life :(
Koharo
Lone Wolf Brawler
cookie lover
Koharo has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 9/7/15: 106+

Re: Unpleasant experience while lucid
PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec, 2017  Reply with quote

Praxis99 wrote:
I had an unpleasant experience while lucid the other night and would be interested in others thoughts re dealing with the same 'in dream' since its similar to other occurrences that have happened over the years.

I choose with a little trepidation to start on down a spiral staircase but feel increasing fearful as I do so. I retreat back up the stairs with the air 'buzzing' around me. Once back in the original passageway I feel something has clamped itself 'piggy back' style to my back. I try to speak to tell it to go away but my throat feels constrained and what I say is barely a whisper (indeed bizarrely feel the need to 'command' it to do so under the name of my "holy guardian angel" since I am not especially religious). I can hear it breathing and literally try batter it off against a wall and then make a fruitless attempt to peel its fingers/wings from my side.

Nothing works its struck fast, a proverbial malevolent monkey of sorts it would seem on my back till I wake.

Intense dream, Praxis...Felt a rush and had a few flashbacks from reading that. My nightmares have changed overtime due to personal things and learning to become lucid. I prefer confronting the threat over bolting on impulse unless I'm really getting a kick out of an adrenaline inducing chase (Parkour)...Not sure if I can call them nightmares anymore...In regard to entities or dark things like this I'd confront it (combat, prayer, interrogation, etc.).

Obfusc8 and Genghis touched on some pretty good points:

Quote:
-Approach similar to meditation, where you 'acknowledge' the fear and the weight on your back, but try to just observe it and let that thought or feeling pass. Say you are in the shower and the water suddenly turns cold - a typical reaction would be to yelp and jump out of the water, but an alternative reaction could be to calmly acknowledge that the water is cold, experience the unpleasant stimulus for a few moments, and step calmly away.

Quote:
It sits between the "confront it" and "acknowledge it":
- Withstand whatever it is doing to you, if needed continuously reinforcing the deep knowledge that this is your dream
- It is worth to try again speaking with it - if you can't speak out, just use mental words, it will work

Agreed. Slow down, keep cool in the face of danger, and use mental words/internal dialogue/telepathy to help remain calm or manipulate the dream. Maybe you could get answers out of the proverbial malevolent monkey...Your call.
If all else fails don't get discouraged practice makes perfect, good luck.

Current LD goal(s): A man in a white room, very long dreads, he resembles me..He knows somethin..
Praxis99
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Many

PostPosted: Thu 14 Dec, 2017  Reply with quote

Thanks for those sharing their own experiences and takes on the same.

Now a day or so ago I had the same experience, except this time I could hear clearly what was been said by my 'clingy' companion! He/it dismounted from my back and introduced himself as 'Johnny' stating his sole purpose was to 'shake me up'. No arguments there Johnny! What was interesting as is so often the case with myself after little or no lucid dreams in the recent past is that I had a 'cascade' of the same with an interconnecting theme. At one point a dream character introduced me to the 'associates' of 'Johnny' who all spoke at the same time but with a slight offset making what they said unintelligible. I really don't know what to think of the same but I am hoping 'Johnny' will go away and not be seen again since he/it is not helping!

Current LD goal(s): To have regular, longer and more vivid lucid dreams
Page 1 of 1

print   ShareShare