EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Philosophy!

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
29
Posts: 627
Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2011
LD count: 20
 
Philosophy!
PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Any philosophers here??

I consider myself an existentialist and a dualist. I believe values and ethics to be subjective and I see us living in a completely materialist society. It's why we go to school, and get jobs. We work our asses off for years and years to have better material possessions than our neighbors when we are older. We all die one day, rather than wasting time getting money, I'd rather live a more spiritual life and dip into the <mod>*cough cough*</mod>.

Existentialism comes with a great feeling of absolute freedom. There is no purpose to this life, so live it up. Do what you want, when you want.

If anyone else here is interested in philosophy...lets hear it smile

<mod>Fragment removed from the second paragraph. At first, the mods thought it was going to be okay, but then those single three words became the sole reason to be of a reply to this post, which was mildly flamish. So we removed it. oh maan</mod>


back to top
tetragrammaton
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
27
Posts: 264
Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 03 Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
 
PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

hey lizard king.

i'm really into philosopy as well(much the same branch as you)

i agree.
Existentialism is amazing.

but you feel like everyone around you is a moron.
haha.

i feel the same about sociaty.
i want to live a spirtual life.
that's why I want to LD.
to double the length of my life and be wiser.
i'm going to save my money then go live somewhere far away from all this conformity.


anyway.
thanks for starting the topic.


back to top
Bones
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
Bones has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 286
Joined: 30 Aug 2007
Last Visit: 04 Oct 2012
Location: The Lethe
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

tetragrammaton wrote:

i'm going to save my money then go live somewhere far away from all this conformity.

Warning: Off topic
Tetragrammaton- This is in no way directed towards you, I just saw the word conformity and I need to share my opinion on it.

Some people believe conformity is doing what other people do. I think this is false. Conformity is doing what other people do because other people do it. If you buy a certain band's album because the are popular, that is conformity. If you buy a popular band's album because you like them, that is being your own person.

It seems that the people around me can't grasp that idea.


back to top
Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
33
Posts: 3980
Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Last Visit: 19 Jun 2015
LD count: Many
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

*Josh snaps out of his daydreams about the old Philosopher's Cloud

I'm into philosophy.
In fact, I am so into philosophy that I dropped out of the business programme I was in at college, and I'm now a philosophy major at university...we'll see how well that decision works out for me in my future rolleyes . For now, I feel like it's where I am supposed to be, if I'm supposed to be anywhere that is.

It is an interesting experience going from what I used to do, which you might call armchair philosophy, to serious, scholarly study...it's starting to make me re-evaluate a lot of my views. Some of them have changed and some of them have been shored up even more.

Anyways, I'll just cut to the chase; existentialism is neat. I myself, however, am a secular humanist, and my worldview is currently based on metaphysical naturalism.


back to top
tetragrammaton
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
27
Posts: 264
Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 03 Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

To bones.

i understand.
i don't use the word conformity much.
it reminds me of goths.
hah.

but yeah.

i hate it when you want to do something but it turns out everyone is doing it too so you immeditely change your opinion and don't want anything to do with it.
if you catch my drift.
i think you should to be able to not care what anyone thinks enough to be able to do something everyone else is doing once in a while if you believe in it.

i know that sounds stupid but it made a teeny tiny bit of sense to me.


back to top
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
29
Posts: 627
Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2011
LD count: 20
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

So Josh are you into Taoism?

And about seeing everyone else around you as a moron...yes, (NOT to be arrogant, honestly) I cannot help but feel that way.

We are ants. We are not superior to any other living things on this planet, though we believe we are. Everything we do, could be described as mindless ant work. All for survival.

I believe all living things are connected with a field of energy, that is our soul, and that is "god". So thus we never die, although we may physically die, that in the end will be no big deal.


Another thing-how materialist and BLIND our society has become.

If you want to live a happy life, be spiritual, peaceful, and kind to everyone. The thing to always keep in mind is, in the end we ALL die.


back to top
Shaper
Lord of Dreams
LD4all addict
33
Posts: 3980
Joined: 14 Oct 2002
Last Visit: 19 Jun 2015
LD count: Many
Location: Quebec, Canada
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Lizard King wrote:
So Josh are you into Taoism?


Actually yes, that was one of the first religions that I seriously studied. Sometimes I think that if I humanism or naturalism were proven wrong, I might consider becoming a philosophical Taoist.

Quote:

And about seeing everyone else around you as a moron...yes, (NOT to be arrogant, honestly) I cannot help but feel that way. That's how I look at it.


Actually, I know so many people that make me look like a moron or an ant...I'm always learning, and someone, doesn't matter who, probably has something to teach me.

Quote:

Everything we do, could be described as mindless ant work. All for survival.


Maybe this is why a lot of people are not into philosophy? They simply don't have the time because they are busy trying to survive. After all you can't pursue your interests (or at least, you can't pursue them to the fullest extent otherwise possible) if you are busy working like a slave for minimum wage to support yourself.


back to top
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
29
Posts: 627
Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2011
LD count: 20
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

If your at all interested in spirituality, or not, watch this video:

Gregg Braden


back to top
Jester300
Skeptic believer
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 56
Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Last Visit: 22 Oct 2008
LD count: 5
Location: Ontario,Canada
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I absolutely adore philosophy. Does anyone around here have their very own theories?
^^


back to top
TwilightDreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Posts: 821
Joined: 19 May 2007
Last Visit: 18 Jun 2015
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Quote:
Money and material goods don't bring happiness.


Well, usually they aren't. But you can't say they actually don't to everyone. People who are greedy will not get statisfaction out of materials, because they can never have enough. Some people may have a psyche problem (A mental injury, if you will) That may cause them to actually feel pleasure when they get more money. Certain types of people enjoy shopping just for the sake of it, and for them the fact that they have more items (and less money) is merely a side effect.

It is easy to watch what is fun, what is right and what is good from the perspective of a "normal" person; But you must also think about it from the perspective of people with mind "defects", for we are all just a set of neurons.

For ex: If someone enjoys looking at their hands, is their fun less "good" than that of someone who enjoys playing video games?
If I gain happiness from having a bigger car (Not through impressing my friends, but simply by owning a better car) am I less good than you, who gets fun through owning different belief system?

And you will always think you are better than others, no matter what. Even when you think that everyone is equal, you think that you are better because you think that everyone is equal (Or through other beliefs)

Are there realy such things as feelings? If I make a computer that can respond to pain, will it be ethical to cause pain to it? the answer will probably be yes, because it can't actually suffer, it can only know that it is hurt.

But if so, then what will happen if you put another computer up on the first, call the first one SC, and the second one conscious, and make the first interrupt the second's action by sending it messages of pain, will it then be ethical to cause pain to it?

And what if it will have facial expressions?

And what if it will make the sound of a poor animal?

I belive the only difference batween a living being and a machine is the fact that we are somewhat based on primal survival mechanisms (SC) and partially based on rational thinking mechanism. This causes us to have much lack of logic, and is the only reason we can't make an AI: We need to make something half random.



Well, guess that answers the OP initial question.


back to top
Sliph
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer
29
Posts: 256
Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Last Visit: 23 Apr 2016
LD count: 5
Location: usa va
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

i consider myself a philosopher of sorts too. i don't really have much to say though unless it's in a debate or argument.

i just want to know, has anyone here read a book called Ishmael?



Current LD goal(s): Lucid Music Composing
back to top
Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
29
Posts: 627
Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2011
LD count: 20
 
PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

TwilightDreamer wrote:
Quote:
Money and material goods don't bring happiness.


Well, usually they aren't. But you can't say they actually don't to everyone. People who are greedy will not get statisfaction out of materials, because they can never have enough. Some people may have a psyche problem (A mental injury, if you will) That may cause them to actually feel pleasure when they get more money. Certain types of people enjoy shopping just for the sake of it, and for them the fact that they have more items (and less money) is merely a side effect.

It is easy to watch what is fun, what is right and what is good from the perspective of a "normal" person; But you must also think about it from the perspective of people with mind "defects", for we are all just a set of neurons.

For ex: If someone enjoys looking at their hands, is their fun less "good" than that of someone who enjoys playing video games?
If I gain happiness from having a bigger car (Not through impressing my friends, but simply by owning a better car) am I less good than you, who gets fun through owning different belief system?

And you will always think you are better than others, no matter what. Even when you think that everyone is equal, you think that you are better because you think that everyone is equal (Or through other beliefs)


My problem is, society today is revolved around having better material goods. People are trained to find joy in getting money and possessions. But I think when it comes down to our nature, we TRULY find happiness naturally.

You've heard it said before, "money doesn't bring happiness". Think about it, we are programmed throughout childhood to desire money and possessions as an incentive to act as another brick in the wall. It is a learned desire. It is the people that have never even considered otherwise that I look down upon. The people that are completely brainwashed.

Why is it wrong?
It builds envy in people. It turns people into criminals, into thieves. It creates classes amongst people, typically further dividing people racially, causing yet MORE problems including violence.

I believe this system will be the downfall of mankind.

"Imagine" by John Lennon is a song to live by.


back to top
Reno
Dance Water, Dance!
Lucid Initiate
28
Posts: 92
Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 26 Mar 2008
LD count: 3
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Lizard King wrote:

My problem is, society today is revolved around having better material goods. People are trained to find joy in getting money and possessions. But I think when it comes down to our nature, we TRULY find happiness naturally.


So if I were born into poverty, instead of working hard to pull myself up and live comfortably by knowing where my next meal is coming from, I should, instead, give up on the whole "class" thing, rent a book on philosophy from the local library, and settle into my nice, cozy alleyway and contemplate my existence?

Lizard King wrote:

It is the people that have never even considered otherwise that I look down upon. The people that are completely brainwashed.


Well, I'm sorry if the poor, ignorant, and starving masses (who move through their pitiful lives without even giving their personal economic beliefs a second thought!) anger you so much so that you look down on them with disgust, but no one's life is perfect, we all have things we have to live with, in your case, it's coexisting with people like that. */sarcasm*

So you know, I don't believe you actually feel this way, just understand how vague and general statements like those that took up your entire post can be misinterpreted to mean something completely different. You could get into quite a few arguments otherwise.


back to top
Jester300
Skeptic believer
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 56
Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Last Visit: 22 Oct 2008
LD count: 5
Location: Ontario,Canada
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I agree with Lizard I've thought that about hardcore Christians who never even admit in the slightest possibility they might not be completely right. I like to keep an open mind to anything that's why I'm trying to LD heh, have to be open minded for that I assume. siiw

back to top
Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover
28
Posts: 2008
Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Last Visit: 05 Dec 2010
Location: Too far from the Ocean.
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

tetragrammaton wrote:
hey lizard king.

i'm really into philosopy as well(much the same branch as you)

i agree.
Existentialism is amazing.

but you feel like everyone around you is a moron.
haha.

i feel the same about sociaty.
i want to live a spirtual life.
that's why I want to LD.
to double the length of my life and be wiser.
i'm going to save my money then go live somewhere far away from all this conformity.


anyway.
thanks for starting the topic.


Oh my god eek2 That is exactly me. word for word, i always think and say aloud how everyone around me are comformist morons. I am also a self proclaimed phliosopher



Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.
back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~