EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 128
The Signal

Chaining

Author  Message 
Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

Good luck with it, it sounds like that could work quite well. On a side note, if you find you have a hard time falling asleep after the alarm goes off you can also try to keep moving the time back until you find something that works ^^

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
BeRightBack
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
BeRightBack has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 73

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

altheman9993 wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted to contribute an idea I had this morning during a LD.
This technique has worked for me quite a bit in the past, though i've always struggled to realise that I was dreaming and to remain still so that i can chain onto another dream.
So I had a look on the android app market and found a free alarm clock (Alarm Clock Extreme free) which allows for a customisable alarm.
Essentially what I want to try and do is to set a small 'prompt' alarm an hour before i regularly get up at 7:45. This alarm is just like a bleep or a quiet sound that lasts for just 2 seconds which is sufficient to wake me up, but not totally. Also it doesn't require me to get up and turn it off, it'll turn its self off.
Also I would have to train my self to recognise that sound and to remain still (rather than jumping out of bed).
I'm just gonna set it for the next few weeks and see how well it works. smile

I'm using a similar tool like that. It does work, but for me it has two flaws:
- after just a few nights the short alarm didn't wake me up anymore (even when I changed sounds and volume).
- When I did wake up it often takes me some time to become conscious enough to remember not to move. At that time I already moved a lot and chaining fails.

As a result chaining only has been a great tool for me to induce more lucid dreams, in situations that I consciously awoken from a previous LD. I'm still trying to improve my methods though.

altheman9993
Is this a dream?
Astral Explorer
altheman9993 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Rhewin wrote:
Good luck with it, it sounds like that could work quite well. On a side note, if you find you have a hard time falling asleep after the alarm goes off you can also try to keep moving the time back until you find something that works ^^

I think essentially having a coherent sleep pattern works well, since i know that around an hour before i typically get up i'm in a dream stage. This is because i have woken up around there before in the past and noticed i had woken from a dream, so i can almost gurantee if this works i'll have , at most, an hours LD every single morning.

BeRightBack wrote:
altheman9993 wrote:
Hey guys, just wanted to contribute an idea I had this morning during a LD.
This technique has worked for me quite a bit in the past, though i've always struggled to realise that I was dreaming and to remain still so that i can chain onto another dream.
So I had a look on the android app market and found a free alarm clock (Alarm Clock Extreme free) which allows for a customisable alarm.
Essentially what I want to try and do is to set a small 'prompt' alarm an hour before i regularly get up at 7:45. This alarm is just like a bleep or a quiet sound that lasts for just 2 seconds which is sufficient to wake me up, but not totally. Also it doesn't require me to get up and turn it off, it'll turn its self off.
Also I would have to train my self to recognise that sound and to remain still (rather than jumping out of bed).
I'm just gonna set it for the next few weeks and see how well it works. smile

I'm using a similar tool like that. It does work, but for me it has two flaws:
- after just a few nights the short alarm didn't wake me up anymore (even when I changed sounds and volume).
- When I did wake up it often takes me some time to become conscious enough to remember not to move. At that time I already moved a lot and chaining fails.

As a result chaining only has been a great tool for me to induce more lucid dreams, in situations that I consciously awoken from a previous LD. I'm still trying to improve my methods though.

I found that this morning of my first try. It simply woke me up abruptly and i had moved too much before i realised i had to stay still. I'm going to keep the alarm the same way for the next week. After that I might change it to a gradual volume increase, over like 10 seconds possibly? so that it gradually wakes me up slowly and i'll move less?
I think the key there is to train the brain to recognise the tone. For example, pretending to be asleep and have it go off and to re-enact future intentions, but to also use auto-suggestion alongside to consolidate it further.
Also to avoid the body getting used to the noise, I could possibly change the alarm sound/tone to something different. Though from what you mentioned that might not help. I'll have to see how it goes in the next few weeks.

May sound like a complicated way of achieving chaining, but unfortunately when i wake up from a dream, it is typically at the end of the dream cycle. This doesn't really allow for much time within the LD in the next chained dream. Also unless the dream was lucid, it's extremely difficult to remember to remain still, like you mentioned.

Current LD goal(s): Short term goal: Practise WILD. Long term goal: Achieve lucidity at will.
BeRightBack
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

What might help is play the sound a couple of times before going to bed and each time you play the sound visualize yourself waking up and remembering you must not move. This can create a link in your brain between an input (sound) and desired reaction (stay still). I'll try it myself as well tonight.

altheman9993
Is this a dream?
Astral Explorer
altheman9993 has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

BeRightBack wrote:
What might help is play the sound a couple of times before going to bed and each time you play the sound visualize yourself waking up and remembering you must not move. This can create a link in your brain between an input (sound) and desired reaction (stay still). I'll try it myself as well tonight.

Yeah that's hopefully the desired outcome smile Though this morning i woke up before my alarm went off so I couldn't really try today (I'm ill atm so sleep patterns are a little crazy atm). Though even when the sound went off I was still moving, so I think i still need some more brain training.

Current LD goal(s): Short term goal: Practise WILD. Long term goal: Achieve lucidity at will.
BeRightBack
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

I did hear the alarm twice this time and remembered to lay still, but I had the feeling the alarm went of after a REM-cycle. In the middle of a dream I dont seem to notice the alarms yet.

<mod>On to part 2!</mod>

print