The BIG "Was this a LD?" Topic

Since there are lots of questions about whether or not a dream was a LD, it’s best to make a BIG Topic about it. Please post your dreams here if you have any questions about their nature

Sorry to make another one of these topics… but I’m confused…

Last night, I tried the hardest I have ever to get an LD, I read about it constantly on this site for hours, and on other sites, and did loads of RC’s.
I remembered 4 dreams last night :smile: But im not sure if one of them was an LD or not.

At 7.40 I’d just woke up from having some boring dream, and I was still really tired and sort of still asleep so I tried to remember the dream I’d just had and then I started falling asleep again, but this time I was thinking about trying to have an LD as I fell asleep.
I went straight into a dream, I was in my room, and I just decided to do an RC for some reason, I looked at my hands and had like, 6 or 7 fingers, and I thought “hey, this is a dream” and then I tried to fly, by jumping in the air, but it didnt work, but I could jump higher than I could in real life, and It was like, low gravity…
But my friend appeared and kept distracting me, he kept talking about video games and making me forget it was a dream, even though I wasnt listening to him… lol But I kept reminding myself.
I dont remember much of it now, but when I woke up it didnt feel like I’d done all the stuff, it felt just like a normal dream, maybe it was another False LD? I dont know, because this time it was different, so, if this was an LD, it didnt seem so realistic…

It sounds like you might’ve had a lucid moment… You were definitely lucid if you knew that it was a dream at one point. It’s possible to lose lucidity though during a dream. You were probably at a pretty low level of lucidity, which might have been why it seemed “normal”. But as long as you knew you were dreaming, you were lucid.

In your dream you were definatly lucid, becuase being lucid in a dream is defined as: knowing your dreaming while in a dream.

It probably didn’t feel like an LD becuase like daysong said you were probably at a low level of lucidity.

last night i had my first LD. it started out by me fighting a rival at school, when i started winning he ran away. i chased him and someone told me to stop beating people up. when i told him who i was fighting, he just said ‘oh, ok’ then i walked into a park and for no reason i just think to myself, ‘hey, im dreaming’ then i start flying instantly. everything goes blurry for a sec, so i start rubbing my hands and i spin around abit. then i start doing normal dream stuff. i completly forgot about the whole lucidity thing. i just walked down the street with this guy, on his arm he had something tatooed about being lucid. i asked him if he was a real person dreaming too, or f he was a random impulse from my brain. i was lucid for about 30-40 seconds, but overall the whole dream was 5 minutes.

Um… I think I had a lucid dream (if I did, it’d be the first). Anyways, so I’d like to check with everyone.

First, I was having a dream. I don’t remember much of it, except I was in a pink room. But then I started to wake up, but halfway there (I was still partly in that dream. Like in that stage where I’m not fully awake, but I’m not fully asleep yet either), I remembered that I could try to lucid dream, so I tried to force myself back into that pink room. I tried to spin around slowly, to produce another dream. As I was doing so, I felt a heavy weight on me (I think it was sleep paralysis). Then I felt like I was getting sucked into a vortex of sort (everything was black at the time), and I heard sounds like “whoosh” and such. After a while, it stopped, and I felt as if I was floating a few inches away from my body, but still lying on my back. Everything was still black, but then a red face appeared, like the devil, or something. But I tried not to get scared, and turn the face into a smilie face. Then everything went black again, but I still had the out-of-my-body feeling, but I wasn’t going anywhere. I was just floating a few inches away from my body. I tried to imagine myself in a room, but I was scared that I’d get trapped in the room, so I went back to the blackness. THen slowly, I felt myself wake up, so I just decided to stop that there.

So there! Does that sound like a lucid dream?

Jay_Walker, congrats on your LD. Maybe try to keep reminding yourself that you are lucid next time. As you go through the dream say things like “increase lucidity” or “I am lucid.”

wow Lybi, that is very impressive. It sounds like you are describing a WILD experience, or an OBE. Only you can decide on which it was, but it was one of the two. I’ve read people say “If you have to ask if it was a LD or OBE, it was most likely an LD”
So I say yes, it was a lucid dream! Congrats! :happy:

I had a Lucid dream last night.
I was lying in bed (in the dream) and for some reason just decided I was dreaming… so I was like “wow… this is a dream” I tried to get up, but it was really hard to move, and my vision of my room was waving around, as if I was underwater or something, and all blurry.
So I managed to get up and then decided to see how realistic the dream was, I did a load of stuff inside first but I totally cant remember what I did… then I went outside, and I remember feeling the heat of the sun, after that I think I lost lucidity because I remember only fragments of what happened.
Next thing I can remeber is I think I was lucid again, and I went inside and found a mirror, I was going to try the teleporting to other places through mirrors thing.
It was cool going through it, but when I got through I was just in a totally black place and there was nothing there except blackness.
I woke up, and lay in bed thinking about how the dream didnt seem so realistic when I thought back on it. But I wasnt actually awake, I was still in the dream… lol…
because then I woke up for real, and was totally confused for a while…

The only thing is, my lucid dreams arent good, because after I wake up, they just feel like normal dreams.
:sad:
It feels like just any other dream now, and like it wasnt me doing all the stuff in the dream, which is why I am never sure if its an LD or not…

If this is what all LD’s are like, its making me think maybe its not worth the effort, im just hoping that they get more real…

It is the same for me. Last night I had a dream were I looked at my hands and the things in my dream. The dream I had after that, wich was not lucid at all seems more vivid then the other one. I think this is because I used a lot of my dreaming atention to look at my hands and stuff, but I think the more I do this, the more dreaming atention I will have and the more vivid the dreams will become.

Arg, I’m dreadfully confused. I ddn’t go to school today due to sickness so I mainly slept. That’s not important. Anyway, I had a dream where it was just black and I was thinking I would have a lucid dream. Then it showed me on a beach and suddenly I thought “this is a dream! I must be lucid!” and so I thought since I was on the beach, I would do what I’ve always wanted to do in a lucid dream, be a mermaid. So when I tried. It just went to another dream. When I woke up, it just seemed like another dream and didn’t feel lucid at all. So, was I actually lucid? And how is it supposed to feel after waking up?

It sounds like you may have had a False Awakening. Next time you “wake up” from a LD, perform a RC to make sure you’re really awake.

I didn’t wake up right after that happened. It just went on to another dream. I was recalling the possible lucid dream when I had completely woken up and didn’t go back to sleep.

That’s a rather common experience. It mostly happened because you weren’t lucid enough, so after a while you lose awareness and become non lucid again. Because you recognized you were dreaming, I’d say you were lucid indeed, though it was probably low or medium level. The next time you become lucid, repeat to yourself regularly that it’s all a dream. Stay aware of this, and you have less chance to end up back non lucid.

Good luck! :smile:

What seemed like another dream? Was it actually a dream?

It isn’t “supposed” to feel like anything. We are not the masterful weavers of your sleep experience, determining the every detail of your encounters… you are!

Generally it feels like normal, then I remember about the dream, and I get a bit of an excitement rush.

I’m really only interested in the theory and was never planning on actually having an LD. So I never kept a DD or tried to remember my dreams. So I will need help on deciding whether this one was or not.

I’m getting ready to go to a new school called the Ursuline which is in Essex and its like the afternoon, I think to my self - I live in Northern Ireland why should I go to this school ah this must be a dream I can do whateva i8 like. I’m in a garden at that point (everything fizzles out after i think bout it bing a dream) and I see a bicycle. I get a cool idea to do what they did in ET. I get on it and start cycling really fast n i start to fly but I only get like 3 meters above the ground - but it was really cool (i had to keep remindin myself that its a dream. I go inside and theres a coffee table and I see this sheet of paper on it. I decide to try using magic. I hold my hands near it and it starts to rise - I show off about it to my mum and then I go back. Then I try to morph something - i decide a fairy cake - first thing in my head. It wouldn’t work at first but then I tell myself its possible, cup my hands and produce a really tiny one which annoyed me.
Then I tried to morph Johnny Depp - wudnt work so I transported myself to the ‘set’ of POTC in the middle of a fight scene and got stabbed by a pirate and woke up…

THERE!

is it one?

sure sounds lilke one to me!
Congrats! :happy:

Then why are you “still” posting in this thread? :razz:

Doing the stuff might help with the theory, besides which it is Fun.

Yeah, sounds lucid to me too.

:help: Hi. I’m new here, and I have a question for the lucid dreamers. A little about me: I’ve always had good (sometimes excellent) dream recal.
I started a dream journal a month ago, and have known about lucid dreaming for a little over a week. I’ve been doing some research on becoming lucid, and I remembered a dream I’ve had in the past. I’d like to know: Was I lucid? Only at a low level of ludicity? Or was it just an exciting, vidid dream?

I love all things Medieval, so I enjoy when my dreams have medieval themes. In one dream I had a couple of months ago, I was in a medieval battle. (think ‘knights in shining armor’) It was vivid, and somehow fun. I never said “Hey, I must be dreaming!” But I think some part of me might have known, because I wasn’t worried about doing harm to anyone, and in real life, I would have felt terribly guilty. Like I said, I had fun with it. I was killed, at the end, and I remember seeing black. It didn’t scare me, however. (In real life, I have a terrrible fear of death.) I remember thinking “Darn, I died!” Just before waking up, and I was really annoyed that I wouldn’t get to fight anymore.

So, what kind of dream is this? :eh: I’ll be greatful for any help I can get on this subject. Thanks for reading.

-ThisDarkHour

Hi ThisDarkHour! Let me first say, welcome to LD4all! :happy:

If you’re into medieval stuff, then you must have had some awesome dreams! I bet it’s a great topic to dream about :smile:

Now, about your dream… A dream may be called a lucid dream if you truly realized you’re dreaming. A LD involves a certain degree of genuine self-reflection. You know you’re dreaming, and you see everything with your own eyes. You’re not longer walking blindfolded through dreamland. If you’ve acknowledged to yourself that you are indeed dreaming, while also realizing this, then you’re lucid. Ofcourse there are many levels of lucidity possible, going from very low-level to super high-level.
In this dream, you weren’t worried about what might happen to you in that dream, so that’s already a good sign. But the question is, did you know this unconsciously or were you truly aware of the nature of the situation so you really knew consciously that nothing could hurt you? From your description I’d say you knew it mainly unconsciously. There was an intention towards lucidity, but it wasn’t strong enough to break through, so it remained unconscious. I’d say you were prelucid, which means you realized something was very wrong with this picture; you didn’t really know the true nature of it, but somehow you knew nothing could really hurt you, without truly realizing you’re in fact dreaming. To jump from prelucid to lucid, you need to be critical enough towards the dream events so you start questioning the very nature of that “reality” itself. This jump can be hard for some, but once you succeed, it should get a little easier the following times.

Hope this helps :smile:

Good luck with your medieval dreaming! :content:

yeh it was fun actually…maybe i will actually TRY to LD…so that next time i get a snog out of johnny depp lolz…nah im really interested now…the strange thing was I had that dream and a REALLY vivid ND while sleeping in someone elses bed at their house (they werent in it)

Hi again! I’m back to say two things:

1. Thanks for helping me understand my dream.

2. I had my first lucid dream last night!! :smile:

It only lasted for 30 seconds to a minute, but I’m still glad that I was finally able to have it, even though it was a low level of ludicity. I got really excited when I realized I was lucid, and tried to do too many things at once, which I think woke me up so soon. Also, everything started dimming/growing blurry. I think I panicked, and put too much effort into trying to stay in the dream.

I know that you’re supposed to stay calm, and I’ve heard of the spinning technique, but does anyone know of any other ways to stay longer in a lucid dream, or anything I could do to make the dream more vivid and/or gain a higher level of lucidity? I’m looking for more unknown things that have worked for other people. I’d really like to be prepared for next time. :wink: