"Wealthy New Lab Aims to Capture Dreams, Literally&quot

olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle … ID=6487922

This is a 3 page article, visit the URL for the full article.

yay, the dream recorder is on it’s way! :wink:

This seems really cool. But sketchy… Maybe it’s my lack of trust but why would they build something where no one else can build anything around? And they are self funded which means it’s almost no-holds-barred.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m ecstatic if they can actually record someone’s dream. Look at all the people that we have here that can show off their super powers and let them know we’re conscious during the dream. But, it’s a little sketchy.

In 100 yrs ill be enjoying my eternall lucid dream without them:)
But its good to know there will be something for our…ooops…for your children:)

Hah, that’d be cool. Imagine if a dream recorder ting becomes common base - imagine if you could sell especially cool dreams? we could make a fortune with out ability to LD :grin:.

Of coarse, that’ll never happen (at least not in our life time), but hey, it’s fun to imagine :wink:.

hmmm it is pretty cool but i don’t think it should be done. Dreams were not meant to be recorded. they are simply for ones self and not the world. And just think about it… If dreams were able to start being recorded and monitored, the government might start putting laws on dreaming. I know this sounds like some conspiracy (which it pretty much is) BUT you never know… it could happen. What if they just monitored everyones dreams and if you did something illegal or were able to do something totally abnormal or considered “questionable” you could be fined, thrown in jail, or even killed!

haha i know that seems pretty radical. Like something from a george orwell novel perhaps? haha anyways, all i am saying is: “hey. it could happen!” :tongue:

I could just imagine parents ‘borrowing’ their teenagers dream tapes to see what they’ve been dreaming about…

… oh, the horror!

But personally, it’d be cool. People walways want to tell their freinds about the dreams they’ve had, but can never actually get accross the coolness of them (almost EVERYONE does this).
Dream tapes could help in this (‘look at this awsome nightmare I had!’)

And like I said, we could show everyone our lucid dreams - which would typcially be more vivid then most. and have lots of cool stuff in them.

“Recording” dream content as the dreamer sees it is not possible, never will be. The complexity of our brain will prevent any neurotechnology imaging system, regardless of how advanced, from seeing what we see, hear, and sense within our dreamworld. However, perception and thought are two entirely different things… :wink:

As a student getting more and more involved in brain research topics, I might clearly disagree with jonesn’s view. Let me tell you more of my thought as soon as I get home.

:content:

Did you ever get home, Grg? lol…

I think he realized that I am right :smile:

Ill be very cautious when it comes to discussions with Jonesn now.Looks like Grg paid the price:)

He shouldn’t feel bad, neurotechnology is my life :smile:

Hey I never mentioned which home I was refering to ! So, please wait. :lol:

(Actually, you guessed it just got out of my mind :tongue: )

Actually, I just wanted to confess my confidence in functional analysis.

Since nowadays we can observe activation areas dedicated to simple movements such as opening the hand, moving thumbs, and so on, and since thinking of a movement generally leads to the same activation as if it had really been executed, I don’t see why it would not be possible to “see” someone dreaming of opening his/her hand under appropriate circumstances.
Some labs work on what they call “retinotopic maps”, “tonotopic maps” or “somatotopic maps” which locate precisely the expected cerebral activation of particular actions : just put a rotating light in front of someone’s eyes, and you “will see” “rotating” activation in the area dedicated to vision.
Of course, the possibilities are still limited to simple mecanisms so far, in particular because they don’t commit any subjectivity. Don’t hope to see a cat in someone’s brain because he’s looking at one : people see cats different ways, some may love them, others may be afraid of them…

Obviously your dreams won’t be recorded on a near future’s night. The first step to go through before reading someone’s dreams is probably to overcome brain inter-individual variability (see an interesting documentation work introducing the problem for those who can read french (I’m the author :tongue: ) at Cortical surface parameterization from gyral parcellations). Then, functional analysis has to be improved, which is on the way I think.

I’m not predicting it’ll be possible, but I’m convinced it’s impossible to say it’ll never be.

(hope my passionnate words understandable… I doubt my english gets better while I’m struggling a bad evening headache… :dark: :crying: )

I don’t think you could actually record dreams per se, but I think maybe, in the distant future, and approximation based on biofeedback information could be made, sort of like, a digital re-enactment, or a holographic re contruction or something.

Hey Grg, is there any chance you can translate your article into English or German?

(Wow, definitely not before some time since I’m spending my whole days working to write its continuation :bored:. You might be interested in the english-written papers mentioned at the end of the article. Excuse me for the inconvenience :sad: )

Grg and Josh, I agree absolutlely. However, it would be far more easy and effective to condition (by neurofeedback) established variables of communication for “thought” or “narration” rather than to take on the incredibly daunting task of establishing precise patterns of your “perception” or “senses”.

What I just described is part of my theory that I plan to eventually research with MEG (magnetoencephalogram).

just a little thought on dream controlling by “big brother”…

the government will never, ever, pass laws on dream control. it will be suicide. the instant any government passes a law saying what we can and cannot dream about, that government will be targeted, and within mere days, it will be overthrown. don’t believe me? what would happen if the united states government said that only american citizens are allowed to eat more than one meal a day, and that any other country doing so will be considered a target of war? the entire world would attack the united states as one. thats what would happen. and if you think there is a difference between food and dreams, think again. without food, we can live for a few days. depending on the amount of fat on our bodies. without dreams, we can live for a few days. depending on how strong our mind is. anyone that goes without dreams long enough will go mad. and madmen tend to kill themselves quite easily…

so worrying about dreams becoming controlled is useless. even president bush isnt stupid enough to start making laws on dreaming. it won’t happen, and if it does, god forbid, we will be at war so fast that they won’t have time to get the infrastructure in place to monitor them in the first place. either that, or said infrastructure will be destroyed on sight.

but back to topic. i must say that i am not very keen on the idea of recording our dreams. it makes it too easy for people to be manipulated. anyone that gets access to someones “dream files” will be able to find out exactly what that person wants, and can manipulate said person with ease, knowing that he/she will do most anything for that one little thing. just get the person drunk, tell him/her that you have what he/she wants, and tell him/her to give away his/her credit card in exchange for said object. i for one do not want my dreams to be accessible to others. too much information in them. but on the other hand, it would make for some kickass movies, without a single penny spent on props or actors…

It does not have to be technologicall device as we see it.While it is good that we research it this way we may also enter “age of the mind” in the future when secrets of things like telepathy, remote viewing or shared dreams can unfold themselves.
What is subconciousness? is brain “us” or just tool we use?Can two brains communicate?How far self healing goes?so on,so on.
If we have a genius in this field, like phisics had its Einstein we may not need a “device”.Just sit down in silence and have a mind trip to a friend whos away or other people dreams/thoughts.
And before this question is asked- i dont think it will lead to misusing or to hurt anyone in any way.If we can do such things, this will aslo come with knowledge that theres no “others” and what we do to “them” we do to ourselves.
I really wish technology gave us such miracle thingo like dream recorder, but id love to see the topic being developed also from psychologicall study.