Sound Induction Technique?

Ok, do you think this is likely to work?

I am planning to get a dictophone (those hand held voice recorders) and record the repeated phrase ‘you’re dreaming’ onto the tape with 20 mins or so of silence before the phrase starts. My plan is to wake up in the morning, turn on the tape, go back to sleep and hopefully (if i can find the right volume) recognise the phrase in my dream.

My friend tried this once and said it worked, what do you think?

A funny thing happend to me, when I tried a program on my computer that repeats a .wav file (available for download here I think) at a certain time, at a certain volume a certain amount of times. Three seconds before it went off I woke up just to hear it and swear to myself…

Now another observation I’ve found, is that the fastest way to wake someone up is by saying “You’re dreaming” to them, at any coherent volume. You should see how fast these guys wake up, it’s hilarious!

But I guess your own voice, at a certain volume, might work. Once the television was on and I heard the music in my dream (though this was nearing the end of my dream). I wouldn’t put much faith in it, but then again it probably varies from person to person.

If it can’t harm you, it’s worth a shot :smile:

Personally, I find these sounds to be extremely helpful. How many of you have falled asleep during a movie only to have it carry over into your dreams?

chosenone has a good point though, most sudden noises while your asleep will wake you up as part of a defense mechanism. Worth trying though.

Ok, I’ve made the tape and I’ll try it tonight. I recorded my own voice, at about 40 second intervals, saying things like “am I dreaming?” and “do a reality check”. I really hope this works, but I won’t be discouraged if it takes a few attempts.

The tape contains about 20 mins of silence at the start to allow me to return to REM sleep first.