Is humour increased in dreams

That is hilarious… I will remember that one for a while. :content:

Last night I had a dream where I put people in stitches over my jokes, but I don’t remember what they were. I said something like “old bag, new bag, red bag, blue bag.” :eh:

Hmmm… sounds more like a philosophical statement to me, monitor…

Old is to New as
Red is to Blue

Time and colors… are they both just induced by our sensory system… ? :content:

Before that I had said “What’s in the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag?” and they all started dying laughing. :eh:

Heh heh, perhaps it was your more concious mind listening and laughing at your aware self, “man I am stupid, but isn’t that hilarious?” … I would hope not! :content:

Well, it seems everyone’s a critic these days. Last night, I had a dream where I told a joke, then one dream character said to another, “Every time he opens his mouth, his I.Q. drops by 40 points.”

That ticked me off! :grrr:

lol monitor you have some funny dream characters, every time you open your mouth your iq drops by 40…thats really funny

It was weird, because I don’t remember ever being insulted like that in a dream before.

Lol Monitor 199a.

Some of my dreams are funny with hindsight, especially failed RCs, but I’m afraid I don’t find many laughs in my dream-world. It’s all very intense and urgent. I certainly don’t remember any DCs making jokes. Looks like we’re all realising something about ourselves in this thread! I have a funny, dry, cynical sense of humour IRL so maybe my serious dreams are the “shadow” of what I repress with my cynicism.

In a lot of my dreams that have content similar to that of nightmares, I find myself laughing inwardly the whole time while I’m having them. For instance, on time this scary old lady had killed her husband and then we found his severed arms in her car, but instead of being scrared, I started chaseing after her and saying “whoooooooo… I’m the ghost of you’re husband I’m I’ve got no aaaarrrrmmmmsss…” and also (rather like a 6year old) “no-arms no-arms na-nee-na-nee nah nah” and giggleing inwardly as the hysterical lady ran franticly away. The people around me were horrified that I found it all a big joke. :gni:

Maybe my humourous taint on frightening concepts means that I am repressing feelings of fear with a facade of light-heartedness? who knows? (who cares?)

Nope! 4 me not more or less then in waking live…hmm…
maybe when iam stoned in a ld again i try laughing…hehehehe
That will train my dream abs…

:cool_laugh:

I told this one joke in a dream a couple days ago"There are are 10 types of people in the world.Those who unterstand binary and those who do not."

Everyone exploded in laughter,well not literally,though it would be a sight to see in a dream.

I understood this joke as I know the binary system (‘10’ means ‘2’ in binary numbers). And actually, I have to admit that I chuckled a little when I read it. Not laughed, just chuckled. So maybe dream humour isn’t that bad, after all :alien: :tongue:

Oh definitely. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can remember reading a joke on a greeting card in a dream, and thinking it was hilarious. Upon waking, I realized… it was really really stupid.

Hivemind:

I don’t see how that joke would work if you spoke it aloud. What do you say: “ten”, or “one zero”? The correct way to say it is the latter, though it wouldn’t make it much of a joke then, since you couldn’t confuse it with a base 10 numbering system.

You really have to read this one rather than hear it. :smile:

Perhaps Hivemind wasn’t really hearing it, perhaps Hivemind was just understanding it, or making sense of what he did hear.

Whenever I’m talking to friends in my dreams everythings always hysterically funny, but I can never remember what we were laughing about, just that we were laughing.

People in dreams are funny, you just never know what they’re gonna do :smile: In fact last night I ran into my 7 year old self, only she didn’t look like me…

I’ve noticed that my emotions are hugely exaggerated in dreams, and sometimes physical sensation, but as far as mental capacity goes, that seems to be very low while dreaming.

lol, I rarely have humorous dreams… and I’d like to share my most recent one…

…My friends whom I don’t realize and I head upstairs and the strange thing is… the upstairs are connected with other stairs. I notice there are ghoul dogs as well. I have a small conversation with them. I remember them saying, “We have been humans once and we don’t like it!” I ask why and they reply, “Because of human’s clown shoes! Get it?” I remember thinking… clown shoes represents our big feet compared to dogs’ paws. I burst laughing so hard. The dogs starts to laugh… *… I wake up, laughing about “clowns shoes.”

Maybe it sounds stupid, but I thought it was funny. :smile:

what was the joke shade?

I’ve recently been talking to a few people about how certian things are far more meaningful in dreams than they otherwise would be in RL. Just recently I had a few dreams in which a character spoke a single sentence to me, and I was left dazed by it’s powerful meaning and relevence to the topic at hand. Upon waking up, I usually can’t see how the particular sentence could actually bring that much meaning at all, but I guess dreams have a way of tinkering with the way things are perceived.

What I’m getting at, is that this works for humor as well. It might not be that funny at all, but the dream can still have you rolling on the ground incapable of breathing (which fortunately isn’t necessary).