Need help making the ultimate dream diary

home.no/lucid/dc

That’s a lowercase “DC” for the URL. The forum recognizes it as an acronym and converts it. Try copy/paste the URL below, and then converting the DC to lowercase:

https://home.no/lucid/dc/

Once I downloaded the beta I got a message telling me I was missing a visual basic .dll “msvbvm60.dll”
I’m using a full install of Windows98SE. So I downloaded the “msvbvm60.dll” file here:

https://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvbvm60

After I copied the .dll file to my windows/system directory, I tried it again. Now I’m getting a Run-time error, it says:

The Dreamcatcher Run-time error '339': Component 'RICHTX32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Is this a font error? Is it looking for a richtext font?

I have not studied programming in over a year now, and have lost most knowledge I did know. :shy: However I’m sure I’m missing some files it’s looking for. How can I get it too work?

This is what BETA is all about, so I hope this helps you to getting it working on most systems.

DreamAddict:

OCX files are ActiveX libraries. By the look of it, it’s a control for Rich-text boxes, which are text boxes that allow things like colored text, and various sized fonts, ect…

Try searching your computer for the file, or if you can’t find it download it from the link at the bottom of this post.

Double-click on it. Windows will probably then tell you that no program has been associated with that file type, so you need to browse for the correct one. Click the ‘browse’ button, and locate your C:\Windows\System folder. Inside that there should be a file called ‘regsvr32.exe’. Select that file, and click ‘OK’.

Tell it to use this program each time you try to run an OCX file, so you don’t have to do this again. You should now receive a message saying ‘OCX successfully registered’, and the program should now run correctly.

If it turns out you don’t have this file, then you can get it from here:

https://lettermanstationery.tripod.com/RICHTX32.zip

Thanks Atheist. You solved that problem, but I only get another.

The Dreamcatcher Run-time error '339': Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Geesh! what am I missing? Would these libraries be installed if I installed some other type of software or package? Do I really have to download each .dll and .ocx for it to work?

If so, can someone post this file for download.

Okay, I found and installed the above file also. Now I get:

The Dreamcatcher Run-time error '339': Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Errr! One after the other.
I even thought I may need the visual basic run-time libraries installed. So I installed versions 5 and 6, but no luck. I’m sure Djem has an answer once he reads this. Help Djem!! I’m anxious to try it out. :smile:

COMDLG32.OCX is the Microsoft Common Dialog Control.

All the necessary OCX and DLL files are usually distrobuted with the program, in case people like DreamAddict don’t already have them. :wink:

You can download this one here:

https://www.alltheweb.com/search?_oldhost=alltheweb.com&cat=ftp&ftype=4&query=comdlg32.dll

I doubt there should be too many more.

Ok I’ve checked this program, now if you want I can make a very dreamy interface for this, making it more user friendly. Now, it’d be most important that you’d be able to code it on how I make it, so can you program in the sense that it’d use images and colored form styles (such as this forum)

Well, I needed COMDLG32.OCX. Atheist, your link was for “COMDLG32.dll,” but I used the same site to search for “COMDLG32.OCX” which I found. I had to try about 5 before I found the right version that it would except. From the file properties it is version “6.00.8052”

but at least now the program runs. Yeah! :grin:
I hope it’s made easier for other users.

Thanks Djem for releasing this early bird version! :smile: It’s fun to help towards its creation. I’ve found a few misspellings :wink: if you want me to email you the details, I’ll be glad to help along. It also seems like the “align text” feature doesn’t work in “the dream” tab. It doesn’t let you “center,” “align-left,” or “align-right.” It would be nice to be able to change the font too, or increase the size.

Goodluck! :thumbs:

Just a spontaneos idea of mine:

A simple paint programm with wich you can make a little pic for each dream (if you can´t describe sth in words and want to draw it)

taumgänger: Seems simple. It isn’t. :smile:

What I’ve always wanted FOR AGES, like since I was 9 is a program that would visualize your thoughts. Paint in your mind. Think what culture we could achieve!

DJem:

Good work! :content:

I just downloaded your app, and it’s looking really great. As DreamAddict pointed out there are a few spelling errors (mainly on the first tab) and I also couldn’t seem to get the text alignment buttons to work.

I noticed you made the window small enough to actually fit on a 640x480 screen. That’s something I tend to neglect, and people running in resolutions lower than me often find themselves having to scroll all over the place to see everything. :wink:

Anyway, well done. I look forward to seeing the complete version.

Incidentally, I get paid to write VB code, so if you need help with anything, feel free to ask. :cool:

Hmm, I am not into programming, so I don´t know how difficult this stuff is.
But another idea that just came up:
Instead of integrating a paint programm, perhaps you could integrate an option with wich you can “link” each dream with one or more files.
So, if you e.g dream about music like sherlock did, you can just link your dream diary entry with the music file.Or you can paint sth down and link it to your dream etc

It’s so nice to see you all figuring out all the computer stuff. I was in a lot of hurry when I uploaded the file, so I didn’t get to upload the run-time. The Program is in it’s early beta, so it migth be more bad spelling (I am after all a norwegian guy).
I have never tried this on anything else than Win98. If any of you guys have tried it on win2k, winxp, winnt or win95, please report wheter it works or not.
I’ll get a installation file on the 1.0 version so you don’t have to download more than one file

I got the browser added rigth before release :smile:

As some of you migth have experienced, this program tend to be alitle slow when loading big file, To fix this problem I migth gonna switch saving format, but don’t worry, I will release a converter if this will happen.

Setup (including dlls and ocx):
home.no/lucid/dc/DCb15setup.exe

traumgänger: Nothing is imposible in programming. And the idea you have is quite easy. File linking or even file including will come in newer editions if the users are positive to is (as it seams that you are)

Well, that may be becouse I haven’t programed them yet (sorry for that).
I wrote the program on a laptop with max resolution at 800x600 so thats the reson

I have now made it simple for you.
Download the setup file including everything.
home.no/lucid/dc/DCb15setup.exe - 2Mb

Big question. Is there any interest in a Linux version of the dreamcatcher?

The new GUI (graffical user interface) is awesome thanks to chosenone-, I hope to have it included it the next beta (you have to wait until after x-mas. There’s alot to do besides programming before x-mas)

Yes!! :smile:

Double Yes!! :thumbs:

How are the dream files itself saved?

Is it in a database or is it in XML with a dream DTD?

The last one would be cool since then it is possible to export/import it in other programs/databases.

Two confirmed linux downloaders :smile: