Book crossing

I had this idea that I would like to put out there. Has anyone heard of the site www.bookcrossing.com ? Its a site wherein you register your book, put a little lable on it concerning the goal of the website and then “release” the book into the wild. The idea is that people will find them, read them and then go to the site and post and read comments other people who have read that exact book have posted.

I think it sounds like a brilliant idea especially if combined with this site. There are people here, and I am one of them, that are interested in getting the idea of lucid dreaming out there to more people and I thought that it would be cool to use bookcrossing.com to do it.

We, well individually, could buy copies of Laberge’s book or Casteneda… whatever… and then register them on bookrossing and then release them… see if anyone picks them up and makes some posts about them. Thought it would be fun anyway. I’m going to do it. :grin:

Well, that was my idea. Good? Bad?

I have been talking about bookcrossing.com with my boss for quite a while at work (he thinks it’s a great idea) yet somehow I never thought about doing it with LD books. :tongue:

Great idea, LostBoy. I’d love to see some people read these books, post some positive comments and get more people interested. Maybe the online common can even include a link to this site? :wink:

Well, I thought it was a rather good idea. :content: It just seemed natural to combine the two interests.

Personally, I don’t care if the comments are positive or negative. It would just be great to be able to, possibly, expose someone to the idea that maybe has never even considered the fact that you could dream and be in charge. It would be just as interesting to get a well thought out bad review of a book than a good one I think… start some philisophical conversations maybe.

If anyone tries this (as I will as soon as I find a job and can buy a new book… I don’t want to give away one of my own. :tongue: ) post here and let us know if you get any sort of response. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I’m kind of excited. Maybe you and I are the only ones, Atheist.

This sounds like a really cool idea, actually… Although I feel very protective of the books I have, and don’t want to “release” them. :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe Im just stingy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Going out and getting a book with the intent of leaving it out there though, I could see that… if I had money. :slight_smile:

Me and my boss were talking, he’s bought one book about four times, because he keeps losing it places, on a plane or in a store, and he says he hopes they find their way to people who need them, or that the peopel who find them will get something out of them. I should tell him about BookCrossing.

I think the idea of book crossing is excellent. I wish it was my idea. I think there is a site that does something similar with money.

I too tend to be stingy with my books. If there is one that I like so much I want to share it, usually I don’t want to let it go. I wouldn’t mind buying copies expressly for the purpose of the site, however. As soon as I am out of the financial hole I’m in right now I want to buy LaBerge’s book and release it. Not sure where I’ll leave it but I can’t wait. I hope someone actually posts something on the site about it. I can’t imagine finding a free book like that and not making the effort to go online and post about it… seems like it would be such a cool thing to find, you know? Sort of like a note in a bottle floating in the ocean.