seeing places and knowing things you can't possibly know

about a month ago i had a dream i was at my girlfriends house but i had never been there. today though i was riding in the bus and my friend pointed out my ex’s old house and it was the exact house that i had dreamed of. is this possible to know? has this happened to anyone else?

Are you telling me you never once went to your girlfriends house while you were still with her? :grin:

I’ve had some fairly coincidental dreams like this before, and it does make you think. Maybe she described it to you some time? Maybe you saw it from the bus before, and somehow subconsciously knew it was hers?

Atheist, I like your critical attitude :smile:

Indeed, before calling dreams precognitive, first try to eliminate all other (mostly far more logic) explanations. And if it is still standing after that, you could have missed something or it could be precognitive indeed.

I have had many dreams that seemed to be precognitive at first, but after some critical reflection I found out they were not. For one or two I still haven’t come up with a ‘rational’ explanation.
Personally, I don’t like to fill in gaps with speculation. Maybe precognition exists, who knows… , but I want to be sure and rather leave it open.

There was athread about this before, but I am too lazy now to look it up :wink:

well it did only last about one day, i never really did like her but now that i look back i proabably did see her house but just like every other house didn’t care but technically i still saw it so i guess it wasn’t precognition or whatever. nuts…

My mother told me that before her brother died, she saw a very vivid dream that portrayed death… dont know about that… and i dont think she had any reason to expect that he would die…

interestng stories cyril and master pane.

yep… i believe that we do occasionally come across possible futures in dreams… i know i’ve built up such a large collection of stories liek this - that it becomes difficult to deny. I would suggest reading robert moss: dreaming true, for some really fantastic examples of this kind of phenomena.

You have built a collection? Cool!
Would you be interested in my experiences? I have my own dreams and the corresponding background info.
My point of view is different, so exchanging could be rewarding…
I love this forum :smile:

Humans have the ability to predict certain things based on previous events and knowledge. I don’t mean to offend anyone by this, but just as an example, a lot of people dream about their grandfather dieing. People tend to dream about this more and more as they hear news of his worsening condition, and surely enough, one day he does actually die. The fact that you had a dream of him dieing a few days before dosn’t mean you are precognitive, but rather than you were ‘playing the cards’ so to speak.

Yeah, exactly. Like, I’m sure we’ve all had dreams about somebody dying, and they’re still alive, right? It’s got to happen sooner or later, that we dream about somebody dying, and just by chance it actually happens. But I’ve heard of people recalling all the little details, like even what the person said right before they died, and that’s a different story. I’m just saying that it’s really rare.

I have to partly disagree with you. Parapsycologists did experiments that took any possible information ‘leakage’ into account, and their results still had an unusual result. They also took notice of the chance against chance during repeated experiments, as well as every possible thing they may have overlooked (the urge to associate minor dreams with large events, and convince yourself the dream was in fact related, and addition of dream events due to faulty memory) and their results still pointed at some unusual result, which they labeled as precognition under ESP. They might as well have labeled the results x under X so I don’t sound like a freak (not to offend anyone, just an example).

I know what you mean, and all scientists have similar valid arguements against it. It is possible that there was someting people missed and all the experiments ever conducted were ‘faulty’, but out of so many it seems an unlikely possibility. Too bad “possibility” and statistics is the only thing we’re ever going to get, so I’ll consider this a lost cause until I read more into it. I just didn’t like the overly simplistic way you described it.

My apologies Pilot, but I’m not entirely sure what you mean. What experiments? How could an experiment possibly be conducted which takes into account every aspect of the subconscious human mind?

Are you saying that a situation was created, about which no information was given to the test subjects, yet they were able to describe certain details after what was described as a precognitive dream? As with any scientific experiment, I believe that unexpected results should be classed as ‘unexpected results’, rather than ‘paranormal results’. It’s more likely that there was a failure in the experiment somewhere, than a clear indication that something which defies the generally accepted boundaries of the human brain has occured.

I would be very interested to read more about these experiments though. If you had any links, that would be great.

This book was written back in 1991 I believe, so it’s not entirely up to date. Parapsychology: The Controversial Science by Richard S Broughton, Ph.D. I’m sure there are websites out there that explain some of these experiments.

The reason I got this book was because it seems strange for science (as the title suggests) to try and explain something that so many people claim to exist out of personal experience.

I’m starting to lose interest in this subject since it cannot do more than record really high odds against chance, and these of course are far from proving anything. It does have some things about dream experiments, and OBEs, I might just read those parts to see what these scientists conclude.