I just had my first OBE minutes ago and on accident.........

Sleep paralysis is awsome, I dont know why all you people look at it negativly. Just because of all those stories of demeons and old hags sitting on the person? SP can be awsome, they lead to WILDs and OBEs. All the hallucinations and “screaming” is over once you are in the dream or OBE.

I’ve never had a negative SP hallucination. Once I had a strange one with differently shaded blue outlines of people and bicycles, and people on bicycles. It looked like it was all scratch animated. Very cool indeed.

Hehe ive been struggling to get SP for last 2 yrs.The ones i had were prior to obes and lds but allways accidental.Ive had maybe 2 or 3 experiences without SP which by the way is very pleasant for me.It fills your body with thick foglike electricity.It feels hmmm…mighty:)
But like i said…never had a success with inducing one:(

I think the experience of a SP or a OBE is most terryfying if you have no idea of what is happening. I had a SP many years ago. I woke up and couldnt move. Something moved in my bed. I have never experienced such horror. and I couldnt sleep without light for some month. Later I read about LD, SP and OBE, and I understood that my experience were not unique. When I later had my first OBE I had some idea what was happening and I managed to relaxe. But if I hadnt read about it, I would have been extremely terrified. The feeling of floating away from the body was so real!
But my greatest experience were when I, after an OBE, floated in in my body. I felt how I hovered over my body, and then descended. When I reached my body I “filled” it with much trembling and buzzing. I could feel how I filled up every particle of myself. It felt that I were totally awake during the process, and after the experience I immediately get up from bed.

That fear of the unknown is probably why such things (OBE’s and SP) were associated with incubus’ and other deamons. Nothing to be afraid of, all you need is to do your research.

Tride the ‘fear’ factors didn’t disappear because you were not confident enough to banish them. Open your eyes, tell them to leave. It’s only in your mind so how can it be of harm? :eh:

Just keep doing it Tride, because sooner or later you’ll have one no matter what even when you don’t want them. OBE’s can be the most beautiful things in the world.

I want to actually have another OBE but I’m scared of them…at night. I can’t help it, at night I’m just scared of stuff and I’m particularly scared of OBEs. In the day time of course I wouldn’t care if I had an OBE. It’s light out, I can see everything, everyone’s awake, but at night it’s silent with everyone asleep and the house is dark. It’s just creepy…

I can’t overcome my fear of OBEs, but maybe I won’t care so much later after it’s been awhile since I had one. My interest in OBEs is growing after experiencing one first-hand, though I’d much rather have a lucid dream than go through a potentially terrible experience.

I know I’ve slipped into a dream. Because OBE is a dream, lucid dream. :smile:

It has not been proven that they are the same thing. (I dont see a connection) And its not even understood what an OBE is. Please tell me why you think they are the same thing, anyway? I need another point of view, because like I said, I just dont see a connection.

It cant be a lucid dream unless you KNOW you are dreaming. :wink:

One definate distinction between LD’s and OBE’s is that LD’s are dreams, and we know they are dreams. OBE’s are when we are supposed to leave the body. Now, I’m a bit sceptical as to what actually happens, but some people are able to confirm seeing things while out of the body. This would make them nothing even close to a dream, unless your in the dream and telepathically sensing that information. But if that were so, you still would think it was an OBE, not a dream, therefore you wouldn’t be lucid, therefore its not a lucid dream, THEREFORE, they are not the same thing.

I believe there is a connection alright, because I have moved straight from an OBE into a lucid dream several times, and vice-versa. On several occasions I experienced the vibrations, floated out of my body, and was fully aware I was having an OBE…then I would lose control, return to my body, and as soon as I was “back”, the visuals I would see would be dreamlike, though I was lucid. I would then enjoy wandering and flying in a purely mentally constructed environment. The difference I found was in the different environments I saw and to some degree a difference in awareness I experienced when in and out of the body. When out of the body, it seemed more real because my immediate environment woud generally be accurate down to a T…the darkness, my room, my house…though this was not always the case…sometimes there were obvious inconsistencies with actual reality. So I could be out floating around thinking “wow, this is so real”, and the added effect of the earlier vibrations etc makes the experience more memorable. But like I said, as soon as I returned to my body, I would lose the view of my immediate surroundings and enter a dreamscape which could be miles away from my house in actual reality. I would still know that I was dreaming though. Sometimes I would then slip from lucidity into a normal non lucid dream, losing control all together.

So to me, lucid dreaming occurs when consciousness is focused internally on dreaming and utilizing experience and memories etc, and we become aware that this normally automatic process is underway. However sometimes naturally and sometimes via our will consciousness can be made to shift and focus externally, outside the body. If the required frequencies are met via the vibrations, consciousness and our perception turns inside out. Whether it then actually detaches from the body and roams on another plane is open to debate…I personally believe that if focus is strong enough this can be achieved. Sometimes the whole experience of an OBE may be mixed with dreamlike images which may still be present due to some residue of conscious awareness remaining focused internally as dream images become entangled with data perceived externally. This can cause the distortion of the perceived environment that I spoke of, the irregularities. On a really good, clean projection though these irregularities are non existent, leaving one to ponder the possibility that yes, consciousness has actually detached from the physical body, and is now functioning and perceiving purely by awareness of and input from the actual environment it is passing through.

So I think LD’s and OBE’s are related…just that one is an awareness maintained and sustained by purely internal based mental construct, whereas in an OBE that awareness has now shifted to an external state where perception is sustained by actual outer reality. This scenario is open to and affected by distortions in perception due to an incomplete shift of awareness…resulting often in dreamlike images becoming entangled with the outer, OBE experience. They are two sides of the same coin I believe. I have had as many OBE type experiences as LD’s…and under the same circumstances. One is looking in, and one is looking out. The awareness or lucidity is the same, but perception has simply shifted. Dreaming whilst asleep is automatic daydreaming, and an OBE is the sleeping version of open eye viewing, only because the eyes remain shut, it is left to our consciousness and alert brain to receive and interpret the data that is “viewed”. How this is done is the real mystery, in my book.

So to sum up, I think in a lucid dream we are aware that our mind is constructing an experience from internal information while the body sleeps, and in an OBE we are aware that our mind is relaying accurate external information somehow, bypassing normal sight while we sleep. The awareness or lucidity is there in both situations, but the source of the information is different.

Anyway, that is my long winded opinion :tongue:

Okay, I guess there is a connection, but I still maintain that they are not the same thing.

If you believe you are really outside your body, you’re just… something. :smile:
But still that should be counted as lucid dream, you’re just believing you’re outside your body, but still conscious in a dream. :wink:

But what if the ego really is out of the body. Ahhh, what then? Would you call that a dream? I’m not saying that is actually what happens. I dont know.
There is also an issue of who it happens to. If you’re right, and they are dreams, then you could have one on purpose, and know it was a kind of dream, and therefore be lucid. Bingo! Lucid dream.
But what if it happens to an unsuspecting person in bed having a nap who has never heard of lucid dreaming. It may still be a dream, but they dont know it. To them, its an OBE, not an LD.
Like I said before, what actually happens hasn’t been proven, thats why OBE’s are still found in the “unsolved mysteries” books and not university textbooks on sleep phenominon, and untill they are, this thread could go on and on and on and on… :eh:

It’s lucid :wink: to assume the ego is not out of the body. OBE’s have not been scientifically described as a proven-to-exist phenomenon simply because their existence hasn’t been proved(DOH). Or what do you think -that the research of LD’s in dreamlabs and amateur “dreamlabs” hasn’t covered OBE’s? Experiments with them have been made, but any actual real-time links to outside world haven’t been credibly verified. Yet.

Of course I could have made it short: I agree :shy:

Actually there WAS a scientific research conducted that puts heavy evidence that OBE’s are perfectly possible. They had individuals preform OBE’s, they floated to the roof of the building and read RANDOM numbers presented on the roof, and all subjects that claimed to have OBE’s got the numbers right.

Now for those that bring the research where a women recieved an electronic impulse to a certain part of her brain and she observed herself around 2 metres from her body, remember that this might be a different type of OBE, just as different shades of grey.

Interesting.
I wonder if the “ego point” really leaves the body, or information is telepathically sensed and presented in a mental construct, like a dream. Weird.

Another experiment performed by scientists, more complicated but in brief: A cat was in a box, people measured it’s every movement and meow, and someone in another building had an OBE and visited the cat. They performed this test a few times, while the scientists had no idea when the person would visit within their OBE. Their results were significant, the times the cat acted strange was when the other person was performing the OBE. In one of them, the cat moved to the wall, sat down and stood still as if observing something.

Another case I’ve read about: A woman had an OBE while in a hospital, she wondered up through the wall and noticed a red? shoe on the edge outside. Later on, she asked a friend to go check but she couldn’t see anything. After leaning over more she saw the exact same colored shoe.

sleep paralysis is an amazing experience it just means mind awake body asleep. I will give you an incident where it happened to me like that and I did not induce it but a spirit did it so they can communicate with me. My grandmom passed away a week later she came to visit my mom she saw in her dream door slamming when she saw that she got alarmed and woke up and her body was numb, the same hour she came to me I saw the EXACT same scenario door slamming. What the door slamming was a symbol as someone knocking at the door asking for permission to come in all I had to do say is I am listening but I wasted my time in my dream trying to get a tape recorder because I heard in tape recorders you can record voices of the dead, but anyways as soon as I got the tape recorder then it hit me intuitively who it was I called out her name in my non native language and she spoke to me in my non-english/native language it was amazing I was the one engaging in the conversation even though she came to me to pass me a message like I was asking how is it over there she said it’s always summer there I was going to ask her more questions I noticed I was starting to wake up (there is a physical time limit on this sleep paralysis thing) she passed me a private message she knew I was waking up I noticed as I was waking up I was talking to myself and felt numbness all over. I think another reason why our body becomes numb is because what we see is so real we may actually act it out and do sleep walking or something so the brain releases a chemical to paralyse the body. I have had nightmares a few times in my life but they’re a joke evil spirits like to initiate them but as soon as you are aware of them you just tell them to get lost like in one dream and the spirit said no and I said OH YA, then I started to say a prayer soon as I said I believe in J… I woke up I don’t think they hang around to be clobbered when I woke up same thing numbness on the body again. So in some sense you got to test the spirits in your dream I guess. If it’s a nightmarish dream chances are you know its a evil spirit to try and haunt you but in the case where they come in a diplomatic way and knock/slam the door you know it’s not a evil spirit.