Didn't Have A Lucid Dream

Last night I didn’t have a lucid dream. Things seamed to go a bit wrong.

I set my alarm for 5am. For some reason, I woke up naturally at 3am, so I decided to switch on my computer and look at the swirly thing for 5 minutes or so, and then I went back to bed.

Then my alarm went off at 5am, and I got up, went down to the toilet, and then went straight back to bed. No lucid dream at all. So it is true, for me at least, that more time is needed awake before going back to sleep, because when I did it the night before, I was active for an hour before going back to bed, and I became lucid (although only low level, because it was my first) very easily.

I now realise I should have done one of the following two things:

1 - Decided to unset my alarm clock, and use the 3am awake time to be active for a long time, going online, doing the swirly thing, all for a total of at least half an hour or maybe an hour.

2 - Instead (and I think this would have been the best option personally), I could have ignored the fact that I had woken up earlier than anticipated, and just stayed in bed and gone back to sleep, and then when my alarm woke me up at 5am, done what I had originally intended, being active for an hour or whatever.

But I think either of those options would have given better results than what I did do, because I probably need more time awake before going back to sleep. I guess different things work for different people, but for me, only being awake briefly did nothing at all, the end result was as if I’d just stayed asleep all night.

Oh well, this is what it’s all about, trying different techniques out and seeing which works best.

I think the main reason that my first lucid dream (the night before) was so brief and low level, was simply because it was my first one, that I wasn’t experienced in how to properely control the dream once I had become concious of it. It’s probably just a case of keep on trying and then I will get better and better at it.

So it’s like there’s always too issues with regards to lucid dreaming, firstly, how to get lucid in the first place, and secondly, how to control the dream and stay lucid for a considerable amount of time. Both are probably just a matter of practice.

Ed.

Just being awake is only half the deal - do something useful with your time. If the swirly subliminal thing isn’t working, forget it. Do something ‘active’ like MILD or read about LD’s.

Yeah, I have found out that by waking up naturally promotes more lucid dreams for me for some reasons so I highly suggest you to either set your alarm clock few hours later or whatever is possible so you have time to wake up naturally if it happens and still have time to go back asleep and LDing… and if you’re not successful, then you either can wake up naturally or be woken by your alarm clock… that way you can have ANOTHER chance to try out for LDing. That’s what I do… unless if I’m very tired or whatever. :laugh:

I must say… I wish you the best luck on your LD journory!

Yes, that’s right, because the first time, I was reading and writing messages on this forum, and then I ended it off with a session on the swirly thing, and that seamed to work sort of.

As I mentioned in my introduction message, where I spoke about my efforts before joining this forum, I had noticed a subtle change in my awareness during dreams, and there was that time where I had that false awakening type thing, where I thought I had woken up and the first thing I thought was “I must remember my dream”, which is all part of the subliminal message in that swirly thing. So it is doing something, I just needed that extra push, which is what that WBTB methods seamed to do.

So yeah, I totally agree with you about not just being awake but needing to do something positive with it. I disagree that the swirly thing is not doing anything though, as I can feel that it is doing something (I can’t really explain it), even if it doesn’t take me all the way there by itself.

Also, to be fair on the swirly thing, I didn’t do it for as long as they recomended. This morning I probably did it for less than 5 minutes (maybe even only about 3 minutes) which probably wasn’t enough anyway. The first time, I did it for at least 10 minutes, which is more like the recommended amount.

Although I may try it without it sometimes too, see what happens then. I’m going to try all kinds of things. Tonight though, I’m going to repeat what I did the first time, see if I can get the same result or better. Obviosuly I must have done something right that first time, so I’m gonna go back to that point and take it from there really.

Thanks for the input though, it’s appreciated. :cool:

Ed.

By the way, my message was in reply to Kobrakai’s message. Just thought I’d point that out, in case there’s any confusion.

DM7’s message was posted while I was writing my reply to Kobrakai.

:smile:

Ed.

Thank you very much. :smile:

Ed.

ha ha ha that’s what I thought. lol I was like, oh… in reply to whom? :shy: Now I know. :happy:

Again good luck!

good luck Ed
i hope that starts workin better for u. sumtimes u cant LD every night. No matter wut u do sumtimes it takes a couple days in between b4 u have another so dont worry if it doesnt work sumtimes.

Thanks for the possitive thoughts you guys, it’s really appreciated. :nerd_face:

Yeah, that’s what I thought, so if I can’t do it again for a few days, I won’t panic, I’ll just keep trying, and maybe try slightly different things each time. :clown: :spinning: :oof: :angel_fly:

Last night I set my alarm for 5am again, and again I woke up naturally before the alarm went off, this time at 4:25, so I decided to just stay awake now and come online here, read a few things, keep myself busy on the subject of LDs for a little bit.

Ed.

Oh good luck! Please let me know if it’s successful!

Things didn’t happen entirely as planned, but things were interesting.

I’ll elaborate more in a new thread later on, once I’ve written it up properely in my own personal diary (I made quick notes at first, because I had something else I wanted to do when I got up properely this morning).

This is all good fun though, the trying and the discussing it with like minded people.

Ed.