tips for sustaining LD's?

Hey there,
I’ve only had a few LD’s so far, and I’m working on sustaining them.
In the two that happened to me last night, I sort of got caught up in the plot of what was going on and woke up eventually.
I have this feeling like I LD toward the end of my dream cycle, when I would wake up anyway. Can that be?

Anyway, so I’m wondering if you guys have any pointers for sustaining LD’s. For the first few minutes I’ve been really intent on making myself remember… doing RC’s like crazy- I keep reminding myself I’m dreaming.

But the first LD last night, I tried spinning, and ended up in the scenario I wanted, but was soon no longer self-aware.
In the second LD, I figured I should engage some dream characters and then let myself get distracted by them.
Hmm… with practice will it get a little easier to “multi-task” in the dream?
Ian

To hold on to the lucidity after obtaining it, I always do a couple of things. Firstly, I use verbal commands. In fact, I usually just start chanting things like “Increase lucidity” for a while until it becomes stable. Secondly, I closely examine a nearby object. The more you engage your senses, the less likely you’ll lose the lucidity.

Just try picking up a small object and playing with it. Notice how it feels, what it looks like, ect. The point is just to involve yourself in the dream more actively. If you detach yourself from the dream world by closing your eyes or otherwise not taking any notice of anything, you’ll probably lose it.

Just keep trying, it gets easier. :smile:

Yup…infact I notice that my first LD lasted longer then the second because I was busy seeing and feeling how real everything was…instead of getting excited and trying to fly…

Just keep at it and practice…think about it during the day so when you do become lucid, youll know exactly what to do…

Word. Thanks for the pointers.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Asalamalakum, Ian

I found that if I held my eyelids open (In the dream) I would blank out for a second but be back in a dream (And know I was dreaming).

To sustain my LDs, the first thing I do when I become lucid is to touch things and gently concentrate on them, without controlling them.
I never try to stand still for a while, because this was the main reason that I always awoke during my first LDs.
Another problem in the beginning was that I was constantly trying to think about real life (strangely I could not really control this), instead of concentrating on the dream world, so whenever I did this I awoke.
Pay full attention to your dream, without exaggeration in the beginning, and the dream will become more stable.

Yeah, I think standing is still one of the problems I’m having.
This morning I began to hover above this boulder and look at it, and also my hands. All other imagery sort of disappeared. Then eventually everything blacked out. Maybe I need to stay moving.
Another problem I might have had this morning was from touching the rock my hands were sore, and it felt more real than any LD I’ve had before. When my dream imagery started fading, I tried to say “increase lucidity,” and eventually when I said it, it sounded incredibly real. I feel like this is the first time I had sensory experience that strong in a dream… do you think it’s possible it was so strong it took me out of it? Because I remember feeling like the sound of my voice is what woke me up.
Asalamalakum,
Ian

“standing-still” (getting static) is a problem… sorry

Could be. The shock of this sudden increase in lucidity probably overwhelmed you, so you woke up. I think the best thing you can do first is to become familiar with the current level of lucidity. So when you know exactly how this feels you can try to obtain higher levels of lucidity. This should prevent you from awakening. Do it gradually and become familiar with the new level before going to the next instead of a sudden increase at once and you won’t awake from it again. Good luck!

Alright, I’ll try that out…hopefully tonight, thanks.
Ian :smile:

try holding onto something like a mettle bar it helps heaps and move alot i stayed lucid for over half an hour by dong this good luck

Body movement works for me. Instead of flying “Superman style”, try swimming thru the air, and feel your arms and legs moving.

hey, thanks all for the tips :smile:
my LDs are getting a lot more frequent, and a lot longer… I no longer tell myself “I’m dreaming!” or ask myself constantly “what should I do now?” I’m getting taken along by the narrative of the dream, but remember I’m dreaming…and at the same time, they maybe don’t have the intense clarity than they used to… the clarity that would shock me out of the dream…(maybe that’s because I haven’t been working on my recall as much)

anyway, I’m sort of getting a nack for going along with the dream… (not trying to control certain things) and I should just keep experimenting, and try working on increasing the lucidity…
peace y’all, ian