Are lucid dreams ever scary?

…because I have a little fear of them. I read people saying stuff like in lucid dreams they look at their hands and they’re deformed or something and it seems like that would freak me out.

Do you get startled/scared as easily in LDs as you do in real life? Are you ever scared if you’re somewhere all alone and maybe it’s night and all dark? One of my big problems for not having LDs is my being so scared and paranoid of everything. :sad:

Mines are rarely scary… actually thought it was fun the first time i looked at my hands, and saw how deformed they where :smile:

But i have some other ones… some examples: There was this girl, was very nice looking, and i wanted too have some yeah… But then suddently to my suprise, her eyes turned all red, got this manic demonic voice and turned all evil… was not too fun.

But this is rare, specially if im totally lucid.

All in all, LDs is a very positive experience…

Tride, for one, your avatar rules! NiGHTS is so cool. A-hem, anyway. To me , lucid dreams can’t be defined as “scary” or not. In a lucid dream where you are control, how you percieve the dream dictates how you react to it. It’s just a simply matter of how you take things. Try it out. It may not be as bad as you think…

oh its the sleep paralysis what is scary :eek:

i dont want to scare you Tride15 but i want to post one of my LDs that
recently almost make me mad for a 1 or 2 days.

i saw my grandma in the bed so i became lucid (actully that night i
promise to myself that i dont loss that sign cus she was dead, i got
that sign almost each 2 night once but it is realy hard to use it ,
even yet)after that i became too much happy and want to go out but i
feel a little fear inside and in the way of going out i try to turn on
the lights.(i was completely counscios of i’m dreaming and in dream
switchs may not work corectly , but they work)
almost i step out of the door and i was in the street that my grandma
catch me hard and take to the middle of the home , there were not
normal fear still and i dont loss lucidity. she scream that i dont
wana die , i’m alive ( i dont get in that moment but when i remember
she say all the things in persian that she can talk that!) i say hey
why u must be happy i like u and most of the times i pray for u but
she began to run and scream that i dont wana die! then she catch me
againe and want to put me in the bath room ,when she carry me i try
to turn on the ligth but that dont work and i look out from the bath
rooms window and saw city that was not too dark , i think to myself
no problem i can be lucid in there but suddenly i decide to dont go
there and run she wants to get me again but i began to pray with the
loud voice and moving my hand and she began to scream and forced to
the way of bath room . just when she get in the baht my prays end(this
is a part of QURAN that read for dead person , actually i just know
that beacuse that is short!) and i cant lock the door and i step back
just 2 or 3 feet , a door opens between me and my garnma , somebody
steps out of that ask me u need help? i try to say no but just can shake
my head , he get back to the room , i realise that was me but in the
bigger size , that was me , i cant handle it , i realy scream and fall
in the non lucid dream (at last my father said me she axcept her death).

and something more once just once i have a nightmare in ld and i change
it easily and that was funny something that make u proud!

the reason that i write the post is that dream still makes me scare and
sometimes i just laght to wat i saw.i dream that 16 days ago.

and about looking your hands , u will not find any reason to scare from
it , after that u can only think how u cant see them perfectly!

As said, LD-s cannot at all be defined as scary. Everything depends on your expectation and reactions, but know this:

You, and only you alone, control your dream. No one can or will defy your will. Everything is totally safe, you are paralyzed in bed and you will not act out your dreams. There is no such thing as moral, rule, law or social constraints in your dreams. Nothing has consequences, neither negative effects. Should your dream (or DC-s) defy your will, you return fire (kill them, torture them, anything you can think of).

You can not be hurt in an LD - and you know this.
If (for whatever reason) you feel afraid, just repeat that to yourself :smile:

I have the same problem, when everyone is sleeping and my house is on darkness, I am a little scared, and I’m more scared if I begin to think about dreams, dont know why…
I asked myself the same thing, I didn’t know if I would freak out by looking at my hands, I had 2 LDs and in the 2 of them I looked at them, I dont saw them deformed, but in someway that is what makes the definitive proof that I’m dreaming.
You must not be scared now, couse you will not be scared in your dream, you will be joyfull that you realised it’s a dream

I find this rather funny, when you have 6 fingers, or very big and orange hands. It looks like a cartoon. :smile:

Sometimes, it occurs that the very first lucid dreams can be a little frightening. But the main reason of people to be afraid is… because they were afraid before! :wink:
Just have a look in the The BIG “My first LD” collection and you’ll see it’s very uncommon. As Sureal said, you just have to realize that all what you see are illusions, and that it can’t hurt you. Even if you see a dreadful “monster”, you just have to say him “Hi !” and have a talk over a cup of tea, and he will become very friendly. But if you want some more action, you can take a bazooka or a laser saber and make mincemeat of him! :tongue:

I have never found lucid dreams to be scary. Quite the opposite I get a feeling of euphoria and elevation out of my lucid dreams. When you are lucid and you see; deformed hands, a dream monster or whatever, you know it is just a dream and nothing can harm you. You have that awareness when lucid. In normal dreams you don’t have that so scary dream images you think they are real and can terrify you. It is you normal dreams that can be scary not your lucid ones.

Wow, I made this thread a long time ago. I’m not really scared of lucid dreams any more, although I have somewhat of an anxiety problem and I sometimes think about how my lucid dreams may unwittingly turn scary. Certainly anything can happen, and I don’t think it’s true that you’re in complete control, especially if you are a novice lucid dreamer.

Additionally, some of these responses are misleading; you can be harmed in your lucid dreams. I’ve read several accounts of lucid dreams people have had in which they felt pain. This makes sense. Why would dreams recreate every sense and sensation except pain?

I don’t want to frighten any aspiring lucid dreamers. Lucid dreams are great fun and hardly a cause for concern. So have fun dreaming, everybody!

Thank you for you opinion, Tride. I didn’t see immediatly that White Mage Cid ressurected an incredibly old thread. It was even more unexpected that you would reply because this thread semt to have been posted with an old deleted account.

Anyhow, it’s very interesting to see how you changed your mind two years after this post… :smile: I’ve read very rare LD reports in which dreamers were feeling pain. But they are generally willing, or experiencing something. For instance, I perform once a RC and I pinched my arm hard. But the RC failed… :cry:

cool avatar tride i loved and fits the subejct :cool:

Kinda Off-Topic, in normal dreams I have an unbelievably increased fear of things. Nightmares are terrible.

Sure, but any injuries you have in a lucid dream won’t carry over to the real world, of course :slight_smile:

And you’ll always be able to heal yourself.

Or be downright invulnerable through any ways:

Potions, magic, godlike, juggernaut, etc.

I didn’t notice immediatly that lironyan bumped a three years old topic which had been once resurrected one year ago, and this by an off-topic comment. Topic locked.