Going with the flow

Helloo, I’m quite new here, but I have noticed some things that I think some people are getting a bit wrong IMO.

(about my LD past, check the slagt.net/ld4all/viewtopic.php?t=1995 thread.)

I have found, during the years, that at least for me, the best way to get the most out of LDs is to learn to live by the flow of the dream.

Many people seem to be asking how they can learn to create places, people & so on in their dreams. I think this is completely contrary to the nature of dreaming.
I find it better to not try to affect the dream too much, but more like use what’s already there. (and it’s more fun that way! the element of surprise is great…)
Like, if I’m in the middle of a city and feel uninterested and would like to be somewhere else, I, instead of trying to completely shapeshift the landscape, just go through some door, window, etc, and see where my subconscious decides to lead me. Of course I make doorways like this for myself sometimes, but usually I (these days) try to take the LDs as they come, instead of trying to bend them to my will.

I used to try to take too much control years ago, and in addition to that, turn my LDing ability to some kind of scientific experiment about the nature of LDs etc. This ultimately led to a few years of not having LDs (amongst with maaany other things, of course).

So jump in a hole, fly through a window or float through the ceiling… You’ll be surprised how easy it is to avoid the “fading” with this kind of “portal” travelling.

Flying is good of course, but at least for me, if I’m in a forest and I start flying, I usually just get more and more forest instead of something different. If I instead happen to turn around and look at the trapdoor in the ground (hmm. it’s surprising how these things always turn up when you need them… so I guess it’s OK to manipulate the landscape just a bit) and jump through it, you might find yourself suddenly in some completely different place. (or the “void”, but from THERE, all the doors are open…)

It’s also a question of what you expect from your dreams. I find that very often I’m wanting for something different in LDs, even though I am of course always surrounded by things that are usually interesting, if I just decide to take interest in them. If you focus on something, it’s bound to get more concrete and interesting, usually.
This is the lesson I’ve been trying to learn, and with quite good success, lately. I’ve been seeing more LDs again, and I think it’s soon time to start the ole’good dream journal again :wink:

And just like in comic books, the best way the completely change the landscape (if I really want to for some reason) is “between the panels”. You know, those moments where you are not sure what’s going to happen next and what’s behind the next corner. A little nudge at those moments can have just the results you wanted :wink:

And the most important thing:!!
If something that you don’t like, happens, DON’T try to oppose it! Embrace it instead. It’s just you anyway…

I think the “ooh I really want to dream about dragons this night, I really want to dream about castles in the clouds this night”-thinking is very counterproductive and only leads to disappointment and confusion.

You WILL dream about those dragons & flying castles if that’s the thing your mind really needs & wants to work on.

And of course: try to live a full life with many experiences so that your brain has something to chew on :wink:

Phew. That’s another long one. You should see me talking : )

Welcome
This thoughts aren´t new to me, but I got to thank you for telling me anyway.Sometimes human just need to be reminded…

However, everyone gots to find his own way

Traumgänger

[/quote]
I used to try to take too much control years ago, and in addition to that, turn my LDing ability to some kind of scientific experiment about the nature of LDs etc. This ultimately led to a few years of not having LDs (amongst with maaany other things, of course).
[/quote]

wat kind of control ? changing the vision or control over stablizing it?

u know i easy become misunderstood!

I share above point of view 100%:).
But i do have a question tho…i dont understand "You WILL dream about those dragons & flying castles if that’s the thing your mind really needs & wants to work on. "
I dont have problems with prolonging my lds but i find it extremely difficult to have one.On the beginning it was ok but now im getting one in two-three months.I guess i might be counterparting some but im kinda lost.Id appreciate if you could tell about this bit more.
thx:)

In response to your questions:

Mazdak:
I had problems (and still have, if I try it) when I tried to influence the dreamscape too strongly & illogically.
Even though dreams are rather chaotic by nature, there are still some very strong patterns that the human mind follows, that can be utilised when changing dreams. And that can hinder these same tries, too…

For example, I once got lucid, and tried to teleport myself to “some beautiful arcane city” (you know, tried to change my surroundings to reflect a mood I had in mind).
I then suddenly saw a mindbogglingly beautiful city of massive stone buildings built on sea (a bit like Venice, maybe), bathing in a stupendous pink-ish sunset light. But at the same moment as I managed to enforce this vision before me, the dream just collapsed. It turned 2D, started to waver, lost the colurs, went dark, and I awoke after a while.
It might have been better to first go in some door, then maybe imagine the smells, sounds and feelings of this place, then maybe look out of a window to catch a glimpse of landscape, and then go out and fully experience the place. [i]And if it wouldn’t be what I wanted, just to enjoy what my mind decided to present me with, instead of trying too much to get to some certain place & thought./i]

But of course when the dream starts to collapse and lose focus, it’s useful to fight this feeling! Because then it’s just to stay in some certain state of consciousness, not to fight your own feelings and subconscious.

Jack:
I’m not sure about other people, but for myself I can say that I had a pause of 4-5 years in LDs after first experiencing them intensely for almost 2 years after I learned about them.
It was just that I was presented with this great gift, and when I started to indulge in it too much, my subconscious stopped giving me them because there were other things in life I needed to attend to and other things to experience.
Now my LDs seem to be coming back again, and I guess it’s for a reason :slight_smile: Again I need to learn something from my inner self, and again there is a reason I’m given the ability to turn deep in, instead of far out…

I’m not saying that it is this “spiritual” to you, only that if you have stopped having LDs, maybe there is a good reason for that inside yourself. You just have to probe deep and try to find this reason… Maybe some change in life, your relationships with people, the way you experience your surroundings, and so on.[/code]

Well…some people on this forum prolly heard me complaining 100 times allready but since you havent ill repeat:)
I understand what you saying but still…
I sleep over 10hrs a day,i dont rerally have any stresses in life as i work more for pleasure than money which i have enough to pay my bills and thats fine with me(sure would use some more but in my country when u have your bills payed you`re winnining:)
Then…i read through heaps of literature about lding,obes,meditation,spirituality…i actually read whatever i can regarding the subject(including all the forums here-from science ,through nutrition to vitamins).
I have a girlfrien which im happy with,around 2 mnths ago i totally renovated my place(new bed-hehe you should see those clerks trying to find out why this guy is so picky when it comes to materials,paints and all the matress features).Read some feng shui to avoid mistakes while organizing stuff.
In conclusion-i assume i did whats in my power to set up good place and conditions to have comfort(which i love)and also to lds.
So as you see…i find it really difficult to find “inner” problem with my lds.I just keep breaking my head why they so rare,when ones does everything as said in all available info and still gets almost nothing out of it(1 ld per 2 mnths is way not enough for such a great fan of it).
Ummm…i dont rerally expect any answer for it as i guess all i need to be doing is keeping this up.Just felt to share.
Take care.
Ps.Hehe one reason i can think of is my envy to ppl who have them so easy and naturally:):slight_smile: