I got myself a NovaDreamer...

I recently acquired for myself a Super NovaDreamer. I have only used it a couple of times but I am already starting to believe it could be just the ticket to transform some of the many non-lucid dreams I have into LD’s.
I will post occasional results here in case anyone is interested how I progress using the thing. I suppose first I should outline my situation as regards dreaming…I am not a frequent lucid dreamer…rather I have occasional LD’s and OBE’s. I do recall a lot of dreams though, and of course I would rather that many more of them were LD’s, hence my purchase of the NovaDreamer. When I say I am not a frequent LD’er, I would say in the last month I have had several LD/OBE type experiences.
Please note that when I say I have an OBE I mean I become aware that I am asleep, but instead of the realization that I am dreaming as in a LD, it feels like I am not in a dream but experiencing events seperated from my physical body in real time. Whether or not this is actually occurring is open to speculation, but for simplicity’s sake I will use the term OBE.

Anyway…the first night I wore the Novadreamer I had an interesting experience. About an hour or so after falling asleep I become aware I am experiencing the vibrations. I am lying on my side and try to force myself out of my body. This gets me nowhere, so I turn onto my back thinking that this may better enable an OBE. As I turn I am aware of the Nova goggles in front of my eyes, but I am also aware I am seeing right through them, into the darkness of my room. I can make out outlines of bedroom furniture, everything looks just like it should at night. (This is impossible in actual “waking” reality, as the goggles are not see through) I guess I am experiencing a kind of “astral sight”. I focus on the vibrations and feel my conscious self float out into the room. I try to go through the ceiling but I can’t. It is pitch black now, getting darker. I try to go through the window, and can’t. I am lacking power for some reason. Then I feel myself being sucked towards the floor. Realising I am losing control, I remember mentioning here in a post about being able to return quickly and easily to one’s body in an OBE. I think to myself now is a great time to prove that. I picture myself returning to my body and do so and then awaken in bed.

I check the goggles to see if they signalled that I was dreaming, perhaps that would have triggered the OBE. However I don’t think they had, though I was not sure due to only having got the device and not being fully sure yet how everything worked. But…I became lucid, and I knew I was wearing the goggles…seeing right through them in fact. However I only managed to float about my room…no grand adventure…LD or otherwise. But still… I am happy with this first usage of the Novadreamer :smile:

Now onto a few nights later. I have learnt a bit more how the thing works. I have scanned the course in LD’ing which comes with the device. During the day I have started to use lights as RC’s, to help me recognise the Nova-D’s cues. So I try it again. I awaken in the early hours recalling I had 3 dreams, and one had potential. In it I was sitting in a room with 4 or 5 people, and we all have Novadreamer goggles on. We tamper with the settings, trying to find an adequate setting. I am aware of a buzzing which the goggles give off. This goes on before I sink into another dream. When I wake up I check the goggles to find it had given me plenty of cues…but only in the one dream had I noticed anything to do with the Novadreamer, and sadly I didn’t become lucid. But still, again this looks promising.

So that is it so far, my first week using it, and on both occasions it entered into my consciousness in some form, although the first time was better of course. I am going to intensify light RC’s, and I am going to start looking at the course in more depth. I will keep ya updated as to how I get on… When I get the time I will set up the computer interface and see how that works too…that side of things appeals to me.

I realise all this may be beginners luck. But on the other hand perhaps not. Either way the one thing I know is that on first appearences the Nova dreamer is a fun (expensive though) and potentially useful device. Watch this space though…I may well change my mind in the weeks to come.

Interesting! Please keep us updated… I’d love to hear to see if it really works because I’m a bit stepkic…

don’t ask me why though hehehe :happy:

Well, this thing is definitely going to take some work on my part to help me become lucid! Last night I set the goggles cue to flash and beep simultaneously 10 times when it recognises I am dreaming. This is the default “deep sleeper” mode. I wouldn’t call myself a deep sleeper, however I prefer to signal myself with both light and sound as I hope this increases the chance of the ND featuring in my dream. (The goggles allow you to set your own cues, but at this early stage I am experimenting with the default settings)

I awaken early in the morning recalling two dreams. I check the goggles, they tell me that they signalled to me 5 different times during the night. The first dream I remember I realise that the goggles cues were incorporated into the dream…but here is where I realise it will still be tricky to recognise the cues to become lucid. In my dream a boy started throwing fireworks, one after another in a room…they explode with a flash/bang, flash/bang… He throws four or five while I watch. I do not become lucid at this, the dream then continues into something else. But looking at it now the sequence of fireworks exploding where caused by the goggles signalling me with the flashing red light and beep.

So, it seems that the NovaDreamer is accurately signalling me during REM sleep. However my brain incorporates it’s signals smoothly and seamlessly into my dreams, which means I will have to work harder mentally to become lucid upon these cues. Of course however the cues should most often be appearing in my dreams as unusual lights and sounds, so the repetitive consistent nature of these cues should hopefully allow me to begin to register them consciously.

So (at this early stage!) I am beginning to see where the NovaD should prove most valuable…part of the trouble of becoming lucid is recognising a dream sign, they vary so much in dreams…but if one can be near certain of providing a light/sound cue nightly via use of the ND, and learning to recognise and watch out for that cue then the potential is there for a foothold in the world of lucid dreaming.
I am also aware though that this is no instant wonder, it does part of the job, I will have to do the rest. Over the next week I may increase the cues on the goggles to see if that helps. I will keep y’all posted…

yes keep me posted :grin:

I came up with an idea recently that would help everyone with a NovaDreamer or a home-made DreamWeaver device. Basically, the idea consists of having a small box with an LED that flashes every now and then at random times. You would tell yourself to do a reality check whenever the thing went off.

Actually, this would be an excellent reality check reminder for everyone, not just people with machines. But it should have the effect of training someone to recognize the flashing lights.

MrEricSir:

Your idea about the box with the flashing LED’s got me thinking tonight. Tonight I was over at my wee niece’s house, and I noticed she has lots of toys that are battery operated and that use flashing LED’s as well as sounds. Well, to cut a long story short, I managed to get one of her toys (she doesn’t like it anyway). It is a plastic dinosaur with a button on the side. When you press the button, the dino roars and it’s eyes light up briefly, flashing red. Well, I know it ain’t quite random of course as I have to press the button to activate the light/sound…but the dino now has pride of place by my bedside as a reminder during the day that I am looking for light/sound signals at night when I sleep from my Novadreamer.

So um, cheers for the idea. And, if anyone is thinking of considering the LED box idea, I reckon a kids toy would have the perfect materials to use, as so many toys nowadays use simple battery operated sounds and Lights.

So…here I am, even nicking kiddies toys in my quest for lucidity. Lol, Nothing is sacred in my goal of becoming lucid at will. Mwuhahahahahahh!!! :eh:

Tell me if you have any luck with the idea, Ascension.

“So…here I am, even nicking kiddies toys in my quest for lucidity.”
LOL,hehe yeah…passion is a passion ,we cant help it:)Keep it up:)

Well, thought I better add a quick update regarding the Novadreamer. I have only used it a few times during the last week due to certain factors. I have found the default settings don’t seem to be filtering into my dreams anymore. Unlike at the start I am not even noticing lights of any sorts in my dreams. I am going to have to crank up the settings a bit, making my own I think. This is what I thought might happen…as the excitememnt of the first week or so wears of, I will have to try much harder to get results out of the thing. One other thing I find a bit annoying is the mask sometimes slips off while I sleep. I think the strap could be a bit tighter.

Anyone want to buy a Novadreamer?

Lol…only kidding. Yeah, I seem to have had a crap week there, but I ain’t throwing in the towel just yet! I will mess around with the settings and keep ya all posted! :content:

Ill happily have it in case you get bored with it:)
No point letting it rust in a cellar:)
Keep it up man:)I hope ,one day you will say it works perfectly which may convince me to break into my piggy bank:)
Right now im saving for a brain chip to give me instant lds,When they invent it ill be ready with money:)

Heh…yeah surely it’s just a matter of re-routing a few circuits in the brain or something.

Don’t worry, I don’t give up easy. To be honest I have only used the thing about 10 times so I have a long way to go yet before I throw it out the window :happy:

Click this link and save it. It’s a shareware “dreamweaver” file (files) that teaches you how to make your own goggles instead of buying a nova dreamer. Can’t say if it works or not, but it sure looks like he spent a lot of time on it, and if you can manage to find the parts I’d like to know. Might give it a try myself.

https://home.no/lucid/lucid/DREAMWEAVER.ZIP

Ascension,

Don’t give up on the NovaDreamer. Mine is working quite well for me, but I did lots and lots of preparation and I think that’s what is making the difference. Be sure to hit the Reality Test button ABSOLUTELY every time you wake up, or think you wake up even if its in the middle of the night. (If it doesn’t beep and flash, you are probably dreaming.) My first three instances of Lucidity happened when I had false awakenings which I wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t hit the RT button. No doubt I have been having false awakenings all my life, but never checked. I hear this is normal.

I’ve also had lots of dreams where I am wearing the NovaDreamer in the dream and rationalize it. I remember thinking, “Hey, I’m wearing the novadreamer, but I can see…there must be holes in the mask…they must be pretty small holes, or I would have noticed them.” I continued dreaming and didn’t become lucid.

Another one I was driving in the dream and had the cue lights on very bright. When the cue lights flashed, it blinded me and I couldn’t see. I remembered that I had it set to flash for 8 seconds and I went into a panic thinking, “Holy crap, I can’t drive for 8 seconds without seeing the road, this NovaDreamer is dangerous!!!” There were a bunch of buddhist monks all over the road that I was afraid to hit. Still didn’t become lucid.

I have mine sensitivity set so that I get about 15-20 cues per night and that works best for me right now.

Its the preparation and practicing reality checks that turn situations like this into lucid dreams. Being lucid is well worth the trouble. Keep up posted on your progress.

OsakaWilson

Thanks for the advice OsakaWilson. Good to hear from someone who has plenty of experience with the Novadreamer and who is having success with it. The last couple of weeks since I got it I was just using the default settings. Well, last night I started messing with the adjustable settings and like wow! I didn’t realise just how versatile the thing is. You can increase sensitivity to better detect your REM periods, set the number of beeps/flashes from 1-255, speed up or slow down the cues, increase the sound of the beeps and the intensity of the lights…and loads of other stuff. So I have discovered there are many options to experiment with until I find the right settings for me. I will report back in a week or two. :cool:

I thought I had better do an update on the NovaDreamer, seeing as it has been a couple of weeks since the last one. Truth be known though, I didn’t have much luck with it recently. This is mainly because the batteries were starting to run low, and thus I wasn’t being given enough cues whilst I slept! I have sorted that out though, so I am back up and running. Just wearing the NovaDreamer seems to increase my dream recall, as often the cues wake me up during a dream, and thus I can easily recall it. I am still experimenting with the settings though, to find ones that aren’t too strong that they wake me up, and aren’t too light that they don’t affect my dreams at all. Still a bit of trial and error going on.

I have noticed one thing about my dreaming recently, not related to the Novadreamer but in general, that I think is a sign of progress. I don’t know if anyone else experiences this too. Sometimes in a dream, after a certain event unfolds, I find myself replaying the event and changing the outcome to suit me. I do all this not whilst lucid, but just as if it is entirely normal for me to alter the outcome of the dream. For example last night I dreamt a bouncer was chasing me out of a building, after I threw a flowerpot at someone (I know, stupid!). Once outside I know I can outrun him, and I shout a name at him. He shouts back at me. I am going to ignore his comment, but then I decide to rerun this part of the dream. Now I make it so that I can throw a flowerpot at him and hit him on the head! Sounds strange, but the gist of it is that often now I find myself altering the outcomes of my dreams, whilst still not realising it is a dream. I think that the very fact I am doing this is exciting. Before I just totally went with the flow in my dreams. Anyways…ever forward! Hopefully I will have more to post on the ND soon… I am trying plenty of other methods recently too… If I discover anything cool I will post it here.

Good luck experimenting with your nova dreamer Ascension! :smile:

Jeff

Cheers Jeff. I think this week will be good for dreaming… I can feel it in my bones! :cool:

:smile: Iam also busy lol! With my coffee smell experiment.
Soon i be busy with a voice recorded experiment for lucid induction and calea experiment.

So cheers to us and all our experiments and lucid dreams :happy:

Jeff

I have stopped using the Novadreamer completely now for the time being.
This is my honest assessment. Although it seemed promising enough at the start, I fear that was because of the novelty value. I mean, I had an ld the first or second time I listened to the LaBerge interview too. The facts are, as I think Brainhacker noted in another thread, my mind soon became oblivious to the dream cues. It is like at first it goes “eh, whats this?”, but after a while starts to just accept the cues as normal and so you are in the same boat. Another thing is I found the strap too loose. Often I would awaken after a few hours sleep even to find the ND lying on the pillow. This was really annoying. The thing is, it really takes you to do so much prep work that you would probably be having LD’s anyway!

I would not recommend spending the money on it.

I turned my attentions to working on strengthening my concentration and willpower pver the last few weeks and you know what? I have had several LD’s and an OBE already. Plus enhanced dreaming in general. I have tried numerous devices, ideas, trying to find a shortcut to LDing. And my conclusions are there are none. Unless you are born with an innate ability to have them, the only way you will induce them is through hard concentrated mental effort, which is what I am practicing now.

I am going to hold on to the ND, perhaps when I am really happy with my concentration I will try it again, to see if I will have trained myself to recognise the cues any better…but for now I just don’t want to use it.
I am having more success without it! So, bit of a let down…but ultimately this thread was to chart any progress and help anyone who might have been thinking about getting a Novadreamer. I think at the end of the day I just didn’t find it natural enough…trying to get to sleep every night with a heavy pair of electric goggles over the eyes can be a bit trying, especially when the buggers seem to work their way off half the time.

Soooo…anyways I am going to continue with the exercises I have been doing. Like I said they seem to be bearing fruit. Once I know a bit better if I really am gaining new results I will start a new thread explaining my new techniques for the benefit of all you fellow LD’ers out there. But for now at least my Novadreamer experiment is over. I am beginning to learn the wisdom of the old saying “You get out what you put in” more and more I think :content:

Oh good!!! I was getting jealous of you, but now you learned a lesson!!! Good! :smile: Now I’m happy! Congrats by the way!