optimal body temperature

I’ve read something somewhere long ago about body temperature and meditation. Too bad I can’t recall where I read it. It said something like:

“Warm feet and a cool head are best”

… or something. It seemed like it was some asian practice.

I’ve noticed when I wake from some LDs that I’m hot and sometimes sweaty. Do others experience this?

I wonder if a study has been done to measure body temp. during lucidity? I wonder if it could effect it?

hey! I wonder if bald people are able to LD more easily! :happy: It could all have something to do with brain temperature.

How do people here like to sleep? Do you sleep with socks on? or must you have a fan blowing on you? Or do you like it cold and under warm blankets?

I like it cold and under warm blankets. :smile:

Hi DreamAddict,

Interesting question u got her.
I think the temperature in rem will be the same as in a lucid dream.
Or extremely close to it.

I will look if I can find the answer 4 your question…

MMm i sleep best 4 wild or for hypnosis or normal if the blankets go just over my middle…only in winter i dive under them to be totally covered :happy:
I know from science that the production of melatonin in the body and is secration in our bloodstream is best at a temp of 10 celcius. Above 20 celcius your body is making defenitly less melatonin. So we should sleep at lol 10 degrees celcius for deepest sleep… :happy:
So your question is interesting.

Greetz,
Jeff

Does your whole body have to be at 10 degrees celcius or will just my head suffice? My bed is pushed up against an outside wall with a drafty window just above my head. Up here in Canada it gets sooo cold(wheres my global warming) so will just a cold head help increase production melatonin or should I strip down and crawl through the window? <|:D

No not your body…the surrounding air…the room your in when you sleep!
Thats at 10 C best for melatonin production…till 20 degrees celcius…above 20 degrees celcius your body makes less melatonin.

:smile:
Jeff

I think thats one of the reasons ppl in verry warm climates age faster…because of the lower melatonin production.

Jeff

Remember that we’re talking about external temperature here - ie. the temperature of the surface of your skin. Your internal body temperature is maintained at 37 degrees celsius at all times by homeostasis. Just didn’t want any of you to try and get your core temperature down to 10-20 degrees :eek:

yes kobrakai…room temperature not body temperature… :smile:
Well we both said it now kobrakai so it should be clear now :wink:

Jeff

When I wake from dreams I’m usually a bit warm since as soon as blankets go off I’m freezing. Lately that hasn’t happened because first thing in the morning is exposure to Canadian weather and a frozen car :bored:

Is more melatonin produced at 20 degrees compared to 0? Is it better to be lower or higher than optimum?

Raging_Canadian…the best is a room temperature of 10 degrees celcius
for melatonin production. So between 10 and 20 u make the most melatonin. with 10 as best…higher then 20 your melatonin production begans to get lower.
So its not better to be lower then 10 degrees celcius…and also not good to be above 20 degrees celcius…ok?

Jeff

Great info, thanks.

So 10° Celsius or 50° Fahrenheit is the optimal temperture for melatonin production. Wow, that’s cold. And any temperature above 20°/68° should reduce production.

:happy: Ironically I wanted to know the answer to this question myself. However I understand about homeostasis and such. I’m just curious about this statement:
“Cool head and warm feet are best”

:confused: I wish I knew where I read it.

Also, for the past 2 nights I feel asleep with an icepack on my head. I had some of my longest LDs ever.

This makes me curious if the body temperatures rises during LD activity, possibly causing us to wake up? Or if the ice cooled my head and kept me alert allowing me to LD? Or it kept me cool and increased the length of my LD? Or maybe the practice of just balancing an icepack on my head was enough to keep me alert to enter a dream, since both of these dreams were a WILD.

Has anyone that study mediatation here ever heard the phrase “cool head and warm feet are best?” I wish I knew the details to this statment.

Nope not heared of it…but from real practise I find some truth in it!
When i do wild or trance meditation i like only to be my feet and legs till my belly button under the blankets…the rest above. That works best!

(DreamAddict i cant use my Avatar again…got any idea why?)

Jeff

It would be cool to know if ppl have encountered having more LD’s in the winter than the summer, or vice versa.
And also if dream recall and vividness was better too of course.
There’s also other attributes, like the amount of sunlight.

(turning down the radiator)

For a while i wasn’t having many LDs (about 1 month) then recently i opened my window before i went to bed. (the window is just above and behind my head so i can really tell if its open or not) and i got 2LDs in 2days. So i would say that it does help, but i didn’t realise it until this moment.

I think that i also fall asleep better with the window open, but i don’t know why.