Insomnia

Im a person, that cant sleep untill my body needs energy, so my course of the night is staying awake untill i actually feel tired, and thats the hard part, my nights usually last till 6 a.m. then i can sleep.

Now the point of this thread is to ask and explain what i do and what i can do to help me sleep easier than other nights. When i sleep in my room, i have to be tuned into all these backround noises that im used to when im sleeping and if i have any distractions like yelling, a bird chirping, outside sounds, and house noises all that just keeps my eyes open.

Now if some one walked into my room while i was sleeping, i would jump out of bed just to see what happened…weird huh? Well im a very light sleeper, and i just want to know what are some good ways to help increase your body and yourself to fall asleep? Does anyone else suffer from stupid symptoms like me???if you have PLease give some… suggestions [%

Hmm…I find concentration makes me sleepy. If you are quite alert at night, maybe some serious mental activity would help tire you out. You could try focusing on your breathing for as long as possible, taking deep slow breaths to help you relax first. I have read it can help to picture yourself as an inanimate object, like a log or stone say. Or to visualize water, calm and clear and still. Become that water in your mind, as you continue to breathe deeply.

Have you tried reading a book for a few hours before trying to sleep? This might use up enough mental energy to allow you to sleep too. If your mind is too overactive to let you sleep, you must find a way too quieten it. Watching tv, video games etc will only excite it, keeping you awake longer. I would aim to combine relaxing music, reading and intense breathing/visualization techniques to begin with. Anywayz…good luck!

That doesnt sound bad of an idea, i’ll give it a try, Especially tonight, i have to wake up early tommorow morning. Thanks for the suggestion
Ascension
:gni:

There are a number of good websites regarding insomnia but I don’t remember them, but check google.

Stick to a regular sleeping schedule, make your bed the place for sleeping ONLY, get up earlier, avoid naps, when waking up don’t stay in bed for too long, white noise can help drown out sounds. Good luck with overcoming your insomnia.

I just have some melatonin if i need to go to sleep earlier:)Works good,gives vivid dreams,just have it every few days to not let your body to adapt to it.
Recommended

I tried staying awake after i woke really early without any naps, that helped, im not staying up to 6 anymore ( just 2 or 3 :smile:), i just need to get back on track waking up early everyday, that should help for sure.
Jack: it did bring long , vivid dreams, but i lost recall once i woke up…Thanks for the pointers…so far…so goood :content:

Last night was a failure, im back to stage one again :scream:

I find that i go to sleep easier if i have my window open (probably because there’s more oxygen coming into my room) and i also think i fall to sleep faster it the temperature is warm but not hot.

If you have energy you could do some exercise a little bit before you go to bed.

You could miss one nights sleep and then you’ll be longing to go to sleep in the night at a normal time.
:wink:

Thats about all the advice i have to give you.

Try for about a month sleeping really early (like 6 p.m.). You wont be able to sleep rite away but when you do continuously, you will start to feel tired around 8.

In Psych there has been a lot of research on routine. Make sure that around an hour before bed you begin a specific routine that you complete every night before attempting sleep. This gets the right chemicals pumping. Also, many do not know that it is VITAL for many to have the lights dimmed at least an hour before even attempting sleep for the same reasons. Its all about cues & your body is not getting them.

If you’re listening too much to the small sounds around you, you may have a high “cortical of arousal”, which means that you require some sort of external stimulus to be comfortable. When you study, are you more effective if the world is perfectly still, or if there is some - say- music in the background? If so, you may need some sort of background music, ocean waves, or a good book on tape (I always suggest the Oddessy).

I used to suffer from a lot of insomnia - and it is crazily prevelent in my family, but it is no longer a problem for me :smile:
Hope it’s useful :flower:

I’m back on my sleeping schedule :happy: all the advice i read from this forum really seems to help out, but if i did have sleeping problems again(im proabally sure its gonna happen) im gonna get more involved with exercises like what Alex mentioned. I think it would be a could pay off either way, you sleep and get stronger :wink:.

But anyways Insomnia is annoining, i think it just brings too much time doing nothing if your struggling to sleep. :crazy:

ahh yes, i know exactly how you feel. I am the same way.

I found that one of the ways to help myself get to sleep early (when need be) was to get into meditation. Since meditation is very much about calming the body and mind i figure i maybe able to use it to help me sleep.

If i meditate for a while before sleep then while in a medatitive state allow myself to drift off into sleep i can get to sleep within an hour, where as normally i am lying there for hours just waiting to “drop off”

Routen does also help some people, in my case it always leaves me wondering if i forgot something :bored:

good luck :cool:

OMG…hehhe i have that same feeling, its like im thinking to much, and i just relapse my day over and over, and i have this feelling, that i forgot something and just that makes it hard to fall asleep, thats funny that you mentioned that. :tongue: (I know what you mean)