Deja Vu?

This reminds me of a explanation for a type of this phenomenon that I read long ago. It went like this,

Because it takes time for light to reach the eyes, sound to reach the ears and the other sensory perceptions to reach the brain, and for the brain to process this data, the brain is actually lagging behind by a few milliseconds. Everything you experience is actually old news!

Incrementally this time difference increases, until periodically the brain is forced to bring everthing up to speed. This process is akin to fast forwarding a vcr, and supposedly results in the feeling of deja vu. :tongue:

that seems to make sense but, i dont think ur brain would have to “catch up”. Think of it this way:
Imagine a dry waterfall, with no water falling. Now think that the water is starting again and falling. The water will b information, and the bottom of the waterfall will be your brain. When the water first starts it wont immeaditly get to the bottom, it will take a second or two. But then the water rite behind it continues to flow and will take the same time reaching, but it is continous. If it keeps on running it isn’t going to take the water to reach the bottom longer and longer. Say it reaches the bottom in 3 seconds. No matter how long, it will never take the water 4 seconds to reach the bottom. The time isn’t going to build up so, the time with the info and ur brain shouldn’t build up and thusly shouldn’t have to catch up

What you say makes sense (great analogy!). I think the article tried to explain this with something about how when the brain has to constantly correlate the different input speeds of light, sound, touch, taste and smell into one intergrated experience,there is some inherent slippage.
I cant recall exactly though.

I tend to get a different kind of dream deja vu. Rather than merely feeling as though I’ve been there before, (in the dream) I will remember that I’ve had the exact same dream several times before, and can replay the details of that dream in my head while I’m still dreaming, right down to tiny little differences in location and plot. It’s very useful if the recurring dream is a difficult or bad situation, because then I can analyze what I did in the previous dream and change it if I want to. It’s all very convincing, but upon waking I will replay the dream in my head and be completely unable to remember ever having a similar dream in the past. So either the dream memory is a false one, which is incredible in itself that I could instantly “remember” and analyze it while asleep…or else these are dreams that I can only remember while dreaming, which isn’t unheard of as I believe this sometimes happens with hypnosis as well.

Coincidentally, the phenomenon of sensory input being integrated with other sensory input is called “synesthesia” and it can happen in dreams as well as under the influence of certain psychedelics and occasionally in waking reality. Someone experiencing synesthesia may hear colors or see sounds, or even something like being able to taste something just by touching it with your fingers. I remember reading some scientific explanations about how it happened, but I’d never heard it correlated to deja vu. The mental processes that cause them both, now that you mention it, are very similar.

Harlequin

Hmmmm… Makes sense…

Yes, Im ALMOST positive. I’ve read it from many places and Ive been hearing it from other people too. If you get lots of deja vu’s, it means that your left and right side of the brain aren’t working together properly :wink:

I’ve had precognitive dreams since childhood, it doesn’t seem to be something I often think about now though. Something will happen and i know that i’ve done it before in a dream or something similar.

When i started my first ever job, i recalled doing it before which was freaky at the time. My second job i had a dream 5yrs before i got there and it came true.

I’ve predicted disasters like the WTC attack on sept 11th, buildings burning. lots of different stuff. But it’s not until it happen in real life that i think to myself “oh hang on a minute” and rush off to check my dream diary (or normal day diary)

i’ve often found that in waking hours i have had strong feelings, strange unexpected thoughts run through my head and things like that so i always write those down too.

Dead, I believe you and everything, but what about times of deja vu that you actually can remember the dream? That’s happened to me before…

Well, there are recorded instances of people creating false memories in their heads, but to my knowledge it’s rare that they are as detailed as remembering an entire dream.

The funny thing is that there is no way to scientifically prove whether one actually had the dream before or if they just experienced deja vu and thought they remembered something that never happened. So I wonder if it really matters in the long run…

Hmm, if someone who keeps a DJ has a deja-vu, he can look it up, can´t he?

yup. That’s how i check them.

i have a dream journal, and a day journal (not a diary) the day journal is for when i have experiences that you would class as “odd” for example; about 10yrs ago i couldn’t take my eyes off this building at the bottom of the road where i lived. I was looking at it as though i knew something bad was going to happen and indeed that night it burnt down. (that’s when i started the day journal)

Also about a month ago I was watching TV and i got a very vivid image of a funeral, the next day i found out a friends grandfather had passed away.

i get these feelings when i am not thinking about anything and my mind is very calm - almost a meditative state and thoughts just jump into my head. I write them all all down so i can look back over them is i get deja vu.

Wasn’t there a post about someone who told a story about a women who thought she had a precognative dream about geting into a car crash on mainstreet a while back.It turned out that most most of the things she saw in the dream never happened in real life so it was mainly a coinsidince that the crash actually happened.

Harlequin did you say something about synthesia?I learned about that a short time ago.I think it’s very interesting that people see red a’s and blue b’s,and when the hear sounds they can sometimes actually feel them on thier hands.

I usually have a Deja Vu when im tired… I think that thats the reason of Deja Vu, your brain is “tired” too and sends the info to the right side…

-Nexz

Okay, I havent read the thread in its entirety, so maybe someone has mentioned this already…
Jesta, have you ever though about this; You dream your dream. Forget your dream upon awakening. Do something you did in the dream, which, by association, brings up the previously forgotten dream?
Maybe that could account for the weird deja vu thing thats happening.
This happens to me a lot. Thats how I remember most of my forgotten dreams. :smile:

Its a possibility.

Thats a good point Josh, taht seems to happen to me a lot. I forget my dreams and then as the day goes on i will do things or see people that i did in my dream and it will cause me to have flashbacks of mt dreams the night before.

Yeah but the question is, did you actually have Deja Vu, or was it just things that happened that reminded you about it?

If Deja Vu is a feeling, one could feel the same thing for both cases.

This is true and therefore I am not sure whether i had de jevu or just a reminder of my dreams. But as u say the feeling seems to be very similar if not the same

its a glitch in the matrix :cool: