To Lucid Dream you must first Dream

OK can someone helpme, UNder normal (since EVER) circumstances i have excellent Dream Recal. However lately, MY Dream Recall is EIther screwed up or something. Because I cannot remember anything, :grrr: I had one semi-good dream in the past 3 weeks. IS this because i am getting less sleep (about 8:30 instead of my usual 9) I am going to try going to sleep earleirer, but Its starting to REEEAAALLLLLYYY get to me.
:sad:

well, i can’t easily tell what the problem is. it doesn’t look like your getting too much less sleep. the only thing i suggest doing is a dream journal or read up on some recall techniques. there are various ways people have for better recall. sorry i couldn’t help much on why your having worse recall… but you can always increase it with a journal.

btw, you must be an Earthbound fan. Great name dude :cool:!

Ya thanx for the compliment, it just bugs me that I just can’t remember anything, oh well THanks for the help

I don’t see any problems with the amount of sleep you’re getting. There wasn’t much change and you still get more sleep than me. Have you considered WBTB? It can easily increase your dream recall, 2 opportunities of remembering instead of 1.

I only get 7ish hours of sleep. After the first 4ish hours I do WBTB. Last night though I woke up an additional time between WBTB and getting ready for school so I had phenomenal recall. I crashed a bus into a mall and burned the whole place down. If I had know how to drive I probably would have ran over less ppl :wink:

I would guess the reason why you are not recalling your dreams so well is because you are now waking up in a different part of your sleep cycle.
As you probably know, we dream in cycles through the night. If you are woken from a dream, you are much more likely to recall it than if you are woken from non-REM sleep.
Try setting your alarm for a slightly different time, and see if this improves things.

Hope this is of some help.

I was just about to suggest experimenting with WBTB (Wake Back to bed) until I noticed that Raging Canadian has already beat me to it. :smile:

Basically, if you use an alarm clock to wake yourself approximately 6 hours after getting to sleep, you have a good chance of waking up directly from REM sleep, and hence should be able to clearly remember the dream you were having. You should then briefly write it down, and get back to sleep.

Eventually you’ll train yourself to remember dreams every time you wake up, preventing it from slipping your mind during those first few minutes of being awake.

it also helps to drink a lot of water before bed if you want to get up and do a WBTB. :grin: also avoids alarms bothering anyone you may happen to share a room with.

and this may not work for everyone, but i can wake up after my dreams in the middle of the night just by making it clear to myself that i want to before i go to sleep. wish LDs were so easy…

I find that my dream recall is periodical. I’ve been able to remember a dream every night for the last few days now but sometimes I just don’t remember anything, often for about three nights in a row. It may be to do with how much effort you put into dreasming.

:happy: Hi Final Starman!

First try to get the amount of sleep thats best for you!
Second start a dream diary.

Then if your dream recall stay bad…you could use some tricks how ever if you need much sleep as you do i think it is not wise to do so.
So the best trick then i think is Atheist hint with this difference that you change the alarm time eacht time a bit forwards. so you can find after what time setting the alarm is best for you to remember a dream!

You could sip a bit coffee after the alarm has run to sleep less deep and have better dream recall…In your case because you need much sleep i think its better if you take only a sip. Not a whole cup lol or you maybe dont fall a sleep again. But that trick would make you sleep less deep so more chance you remember your dreams :wink:

OK good luck!
Jeff

hi starman

REM sleep occurs in periods of 1 1/2 hours, so would be a good idea to set your alarm in any multiple of 1 1/2 hours after going to bed! so you will have a big chance to recall your dream!

Each sleep cycle occurs in periods of 90 minues (1 1/2 hours), not REM specifically. REM sleep takes a portion of each sleep cycle, and the more you have been asleep the larger the portion of your sleep cycle is taken up by REM sleep. If it isn’t enough, you can go talk with the people who claim to LD during deep sleep :content:

yeeeeeah maybe, but LaBerge still recomends setting the alarm clock in multiples of 90 minutes to recall your dreams better!

hi starman,
from my personal experience i can tell you that any kind of stress (school, work etc.) RUINS dream recall. I had lots of stress some time ago and so had no dream recall. Just as the things which stressed me were done my dream recall improved very much.
this may be because of different reasons, but i think the most important one is that immediately after waking up you think about all the things you have to do… instead of trying to remember your dreams at first.
So if you’ve reduced your sleeping time because of stress i recommend you to try to reduce your stress.
Don’t give up!

Kmcdonald i can be lucid in deep sleep, but there is not much to experience in deep sleep for a ld because your visual cortex is ofline…
And i have to come from a lighter sleep stage first, from ld or trance to go there lucid.
But in non rem sleep wich is not always deep sleep, me and others have lucid dreams to, lol and thats another story :happy:

Jeff