Forced Lucidity?

I’ve been reading this site and trying to have LD’s for some time with no success. I’ve been tryin all the reality checks and such and even tried the subliminal thing that was posted. Last night I was in a dream and I finally asked the question “am I dreaming?”. It seemed as though the characters in my dream gave in and said yes, you are dreaming, like it was a whole conspiracy. But in the dream I had said “yes I am dreaming”. However, I did not totally feel like I was lucid and in complete control. It felt as though I was forcing things in the dream to be lucid like I have heard things described. Like I was trying to make the environment more beautiful at one point and everything just kept blurring up. Is this lucidity? or am I at some midway point? Anyone else experience this? Thanks a lot!!

Difficult question, actually, it isn´t possible for us to answer it.
There is something that is called false lucid dream, but from your description, I rather think you had a real lucid dream.

Lucid dreaming doesn´t mean that you are in control.Often, you have some control, but that is not what the term lucid means.It just means that you know that you are dreaming, really know it.
Since it was your first one, it isn´t surprising that you didn´t suceed in making things more beautiful or something.In my opinion (which can be false) you were in a “low-level LD” and wanted to “force it” (as you say) to high lucidity.

While in the dream, did you know about your waking life? Did you know that you were lying in your bed at the moment?
Or was it rather like “this is unreal, but I don´t really know what is real”?

If you answer the first to question with yes, I am quite sure you were lucid.But answering with no doesn´t mean that you weren´t lucid…

As you see, it is very difficult to give advice on this, since lucidity is a way you feel, and feelings are difficult to describe.So I just can go by your dream-action, but the feelings are way more important than the action.

Anyway, don´t think too much about it.You will experience more lucid dreams, and you will get the idea what lucidity is and how it works quickly :smile:

Traumgänger

Thanks so much for your help. Its hard for me to remember exactly what I was feeling after I realized I was dreaming. However I dont think I actually realized that at the moment I was sleeping in my bed. I think I was still in the dream mentality. It felt like a good step anyway, whatever it was. I’m really looking forward to progressing, I have so much to ask myself. Thanks for your help!

I think I know what you’re talking about. Was it kind of like fake lucidity? Were you telling yourself you were lucid when you actually weren’t? I had two, I think, “fake” lucid dreams. I knew it was a dream but it didn’t trigger true conciousness, so I just went along in the dream as I normally would in an unconcious dream except I was doing things how I would in a lucid dream, only unconciously. I wasn’t doing stuff that I would do if I just realized now I’m in a dream.

Might be hard to understand, but these fake lucid dreams are real and annoying :grrr: I’m not sure if this is what you had but your description of the dream sounds sort of like these.

I think that sounds like a pretty good explanation. Glad I’m not alone on that one. Hopefully it was a step in the right direction though. Thanks!!