Dumb question

This is a stupid question, but:

Is anyone here afraid of the dark?

Indeed, that’s a good question.

I’m scared of PITCH dark, but I have been getting my room darker and darker than usual. Before I couldn’t sleep without a nightlight on. Now, I don’t use it anymore, but I do leave my window w/ a blind opened a bit so it can let in some night/outside lights to come in. :wink: I’m curious if others are afraid of darkness… umm…

I don’t think I am…
but I get spooked at night when it’s too quiet or there are creepy sounds, definitely.

I kinda like the dark myself. My problem is I can never get my bedroom dark enough because of the light from the parking lot and the light from my VCR showing the time. I really like it pitch black. The dark can be lots of fun. :content:

well, i’m kinda afraid the dark, so it’s hard to concentrate on lucid dreaming. Any tips?

I get nervous going up a darkened flight of stairs. Theres a small window at the top of the stairs but its pitchblack at the bottom. I have no problems going into the darkness but coming up the stairs, I walk a little faster.
As for tips self hypnosis or that psycho babble technique with progressive exposure to it.

That is a great question!!

I think you will find most people r afraid of the dark. People who r not at least uncomfortable in the dark are kidding themselves. Most people have the ability to switch on a light and therefore are not scared since they have the ability to see things just by switching on the light.

But, if u r in the forest and it is night. There is usually, aspecially in a rain forest, complete darkness wihtout the ability to switch on a light. I think u will find that most people in a scenario like this would be scared or at least unconfortable.

Humans aren’t really accustomed to the dark. We have evolved as animals which are awake while the sun is up and sleep while it is down. In the last couple of hundreds years that has changed due to lifestyle and electricity.

I like the dark…
I have very sensitive skin, so I normally avoid the sun…
But I’m scared like hell of the woods at night… there
isn’t anything creepier!

I respectfully must disagree with Z. There are many people who are not afraid of the dark. However, Akira, have you tried a small night light? Also, consider using a fan at night to drown out any uncomfortable creepy or eerie noises due to furniture wood settling, or whatever. At first a fan may be uncomfortable but once you get used to it, you will find that the humming sound of the fan will hum you into a nice sleep each night, kinda like a lullaby. :content:

I myself am usually not afraid of dark, at least not in my bedroom. Except, when something has frightened me, like a movie or a scary story. Then I can’t fall asleep with the light off, and I have to sleep with it on, even if my sleep quality worsens. So I’m something in the middle :smile: I also remember being afraid of the dark as a child.

i like dark. of course i like light too, so i’m not that wierd, but dark isn’t uncomfortable either. i have never scared dark, even as a child. i remember many times, when i’ve talked about this with my friends. i’ve always asked them, why is darkness so sceary and what difference it really makes. they say that there can be freaky monsters and bad men and serial killers and other stuff… i’ve always thought, that it’s more safe in dark. then nobody can see mee, you know.

and being in a dark forest at night… well, thats not a problem. really. i’ve been in a dark forest many times, when i’ve been camping with my friends, or something like that… i’m scared of other things, like creepy bugs and spiders :eek:

i love the dark. If i had it my way we’d be nocturnal instead of diurnal. Like wizzard i find i can’t get my room dark enough for my tastes.

Being in a dark forest unnerving? Yes. But not because of the dark, simply the nocturnal animals that just happen to be carnivorus (SP?) i often go for long walks at night (2-3am) and where i live its a quite area lots of trees.

Lots of weird noises, but if you concentrate on them you can tell what they are and then you automatically ignore them. i remember once turning a corner and finding myself stairing down a fox. I was a little unnerved but when you have a potentionally harmful animal staring you down with a cold look in it’s eye as if to say, I have no problem killing you.

was a great moment wish i hada camera.

wow, I’ll never sleep in a forest again…

Yes, the forest can be scary. I remember one night when I was camping out alone deep in the forest. It was a very secluded area on a mountain.It was pitch black. As I was trying to fall asleep in my small pup tent, I kept hearing a thrasing noise like someone or something was walking around outside. My assumption was that it was a deer and I tried to ignore it, but whatever it was continuously circled my tent as it thrashed and walked around. Finally not being able to sleep because of the noise , I grabbed my flashlight and went outside to take a look. I stood outside my tent flashing the light all around the area. But, because it was so pitch black, the rays of the flashlight were not able to penetrate the extreme blackness and I couldn’t see a thing. While I was doing this, the thrashing stopped. Finally, not being able to see a thing, I went back into my tent , the thrashing stopped, and I fell asleep. The next morning I peruzed the area only to discover bear excretement on the ground. That afternoon, as I was eating my lunch, I heard a noise behind me but payed no attention to it because I often hear noises in the woods which usually turn out to be small animals like squirrels or rabbits scurring about the rustling leaves. But then I heard an even larger noise like the loud snap of a tree branch or twig. As I looked behind me there was a black bear. He was sniffing the air as if trying to figure out where the smell of food was coming from. At this point, though I spotted him, he did not see me. I hollered out loud"Hey", and the bear ran away so fast and scurried up a tree. I never saw an animal so frightened. Later the next night as I camped in the same spot I did not sleep inside the tent but rather outside on the ground in my sleeping bag, I never saw the bear again. I felt so sad for the poor bear because he was so frightened and hungry, that I put lots of food on the ground and left the area. This is a true story.

I was always afraid of the dark. I like to have a light by my bed so I can turn it on if I get scared. Sometimes in the middle of the night my cats jumps on my bed and I’m still kind of dreaming so I think he’s someone else’s cat and for some reason that always freaks me out. :gni:

the forest is deceiving… :smile:
the scary thing about the light is that you’d see the dangerous things,
and you’d not have to do that in the dark. even though there IS
something there you don’t have to see it, you can pretende that it’s not there. aaah. but that is scary to think about :smile:
anyhows, better than seeing the actual fear… i think…?

I think the dark is pretty relaxing, gives you a chance to trust your feelings more than you trust your eyes. Besides its a good thing for your other sences.
-Ness-

holy guacamole!!