Are any religions against lucid dreaming or OBEs?

there certainly are people in religious groups that think its bad, but you can not generalize and say all.

Yeah, generalizing stuff like that is a little premature, but then again, so is assuming OBE’s are evil, which not everyone does, like you said.
Anywho…I forgot what else I was gonna type.

obe’s are another special gift from God just like there are many gifts of God like psychic perception or prophecy, healing and of course obe’s.

I disagree. I think we have no one to thank for those but ourselves. They are a perfectly natural ability due to the working structure of the human mind.

Hi there - I’m a newbie to this excellent site… :cool_laugh: …and have become very interested in LD and keen to get to grips with it. I am a Christian and have been looking into the rights or wrongs of doing this as a Christian - and that’s how I stumbled on this thread. As a newbie, I probably shouldn’t start preaching, but just wanted to say that the amazing abilities that we have due to the ‘structure of the human mind’, didn’t come about by accident or some freak occurance during an evolution process. Such marvellously engineered wonders are due to being created by a creator that knew exactly what He was doing :smile:

As with other gifts from God, it depends on how we use them as to if they’re good or bad…

That’s probably me put on everyone’s ignore list now :wink:

Lynda

i know a lot of people (religious or not) who are hesitant about lucid dreaming because they are afraid of what kind of person they will be in their dreams. i think Freud is mainly to blame for that: he gave us a picture of ourselves which is really popular today- that we all have a wild side that needs to be restrained.

i disagree with all that. i think it comes from very old philosophical ideas which tell us that each of us has a “true self” and parts of us that are false. maybe i have this view though because i don’t enjoy doing bad things in my dreams. i feel like i’m more or less the same person in my dreams.

by the way, I didn’t mean: Wake-Induced-Lucid-Dreaming… didn’t realize that would get capitalized automatically
:smile: ian

I just wanna talk about some things.
How do you know that these are devine gifts from God? I mean, aside from your faith, what proof is there, not that faith is proof of anything.
Also, dont worry about LDing and OBE’s and the rights and wrongs about doing this as a Christian. Although I’m not religious, I’ve done enough reading to tell you that nowhere in the Bible is this kind of thing shunned, that came after the Bible was written, when St Jerome had a dream. He dreamt that he was brought before a court and told not to pursue pegan research any longer. To him, this included the interpreting of dreams. When he translated the Bible, he thought he should spread the word he thought he got from God in his dream, and selectivly mistranslated the word for Witchcraft into Interpreting Dreams. So, all the avoidance of dream research through all these years can actually be attributed to one man’s nighmare. Besides, even though he assumed dream interpreting was pegan and therefore had to be avoided, he still had to interpret the goings on in that dream to come to that conclusion. :eh:
Just thought since you were looking into this I’d tell you that. I found it kind
of interesting when I read it.

God knows I agree with you Josh, but I don’t think this is really the place for a debate about whether certain religions are false or true, but rather how some religious advocates might feel about Lucid Dreaming. I personally can’t see any cause for a religion to prohibit the practice of exercising this or any other form of mental exploration and development, beyond perhaps the inherent ability to perform acts of sin that don’t have any affect on your real life and therefore aren’t directly punishable (though surely this is a good thing?).

Does Lucid Dreaming promote the retreat from Gods world into one’s own? Does it allow people to see and experience events that are supposed to be hidden to them until their death, perhaps regarding the forces of the universe, and the afterlife?

are It is all perception. You can’t quote a book that is not based with fact, it is all just theory, same goes for every religion…there facts that prove things/ or people existed, but nothing to prove certain things actually took place. Many many times in history the Christian church (and i’m sure other relgions) thought people were “posessed” but now days the problems they were having have psychological reasoning behind them (psychological disorders ect…). Also by people telling them they are possesed may lead them to believe they are possesed and carry out actions subconsiously…and do these actions…(caused by information they have taken in) …make them “possessed.” Lucid Dreaming is just that DREAMING. It is a natural experience that you cannot help, when you dream (non lucidly) about monsters, murder, death, supernatural, i suppose the church looks down upon that? No, because even the most religious people on earth dream about things like this, it cannot be helped. Lucid dreaming is only your mind becoming concious while your body is still asleep. If the church looked down upon this then they would have to look down upon thinking…or even having an imagination for that matter. Your not getting involved with the occult, just merely using your imagination to carry out things physically impossible while you are awake. If you could do these things while you were awake, then that would be a completely different story. (i grew up in the christian church btw)
[/quote]

Very well said.

Purplepenny-You said it all 100 percent perfectly. In my opinion, you are absolutely correct. My hat is off to you. :content:

oops! I meant Purplelinney…I need to get glasses :content:

umm… I do agree with you though I do agree with Purplelinney that it is a gift from God. It doesn’t mean that I go out and give a speech about how lucid dreaming is a gift from God. I feel it’s my own personal gift… a natural gift that He included when He, a creater, made us.

Making any senses?

well could get into evolution vs creation but we’ll save that for a diff. thread.

I think this thread is very interesting, and varied in view points. its funny cause im semi religious and semi non religious. Im one of those people who thinks each to his own.

Although I have not experienced (that I remember) LD I don’t think there is any harm in it at all. And I believe it was said earlier or that I remember reading that If you are afraid then it wont happen. At least thats what i thought I read. Besides I believe if you enter a LD you will never do anything beyhond what you are comfortable doing therefore you will never exceed your level and my logic leads me to believe if you never exceed your limits then there will be no danger.

did I end up making my point? sorry I am really tired. I tend to come onto this site just before I go to sleep.

Oh one other thing I wanted to comment on. There is no proof other than belief that these gifts came from God. But there is also no proof that these gifts came from and evolutionary phase. In fact there is no proof to prove or disprove any persons belief on this thread, or so it appears to me.

Thank you for letting me express my oppion everyone. Take care.

My parents are very religious and look down upon things like OBEs and AP. And I have found that most Xians I know consider these things to be evil as well. However, I believe that these ideas are due entirely to these things no being understood. People fear what they don’t know or understand. In actuality, OBEs are completely acceptable according to the Bible. In II Cor. 12:2, Paul brags… “I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know–God knows.”

The way he talks about the OBE is very casual, as if he expects everyone to know what he was talking about. And I think that back then, they would have. Dreams and OBEs and similar things were a natural part of life in this time period and were considered important. People had more connections with the spiritual realm and didn’t fear the unknown. So, fear not! little ones. God doesn’t condemn OBEs or LDs… in fact, during your next OBE, you might be caught up into heaven and meet Her. :wink:

Whats a Xian?

Xian is Christian, just as Xmas is Christmas. X is simply an abbreviation for Christ, coming from the Greek “chi” which is the first letter of the Greek word for Christ.

Cool. I get it now.